PDA

View Full Version : evacuating earth

emily67
16-09-15, 21:12
anyone else

i'm afraid of what might happen if 1 day an asteroid, or a star, or what ever slammed in to the earth causing us all to have to evacuate the planet because the asteroid/ forign body did too much damage to the surface

i keep thinking about it.. and as far as i know, their's no other plantes that can support life- so what would happen to us?

for years it's been predicted.. the end of the world, or the on coming asteroid slamming in to the earth, but what if it actually happened

has anyone thought about it?

Fishmanpa
16-09-15, 21:23
Been watching too many disaster movies lately? My wife and I just watched Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. It's a bittersweet movie and it's how I would approach it.... Lying next to the one I love, looking into her eyes :D

The reality is, IF this were to happen in the immediate future, we're toast anyway. I mean think about it.... we stand a better chance of blowing ourselves up with nukes or being in a devastating earthquake or other natural disaster than an asteroid hitting in our lifetime.

Positive thoughts

emily67
16-09-15, 21:27
Been watching too many disaster movies lately? My wife and I just watched Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. It's a bittersweet movie and it's how I would approach it.... Lying next to the one love, looking into her eyes :D

The reality is, IF this were to happen in the immediate future, we're toast anyway. I mean think about it.... we stand a better chance of blowing ourselves up with nukes or being in a devastating earthquake or other natural disaster than an asteroid hitting in our lifetime.

Positive thoughts

i've not watched a disaster movie for so long.

think the last one i watched was about a killer wave... and that wasn't even a blockbuster. 1 of those tv movies that are low budget- but they just show them because they have nothing else to show.

what you say is worth thinking about, but it's not certain. anything could happen

pulisa
16-09-15, 21:38
Whatever you do, don't watch Melancholia.........

Fishmanpa
16-09-15, 21:40
what you say is worth thinking about, but it's not certain. anything could happen

That's truth right there! Really.... people worry about a terrorist attack or some disease or things like the brain eating amoeba and such when they stand a better chance of being in a car crash or falling down the stairs or some other thing. And moreso, they stand the best chance of nothing being wrong at all!!

I get it concerning HA and anxiety in general and how it messes with your mind but sometimes common sense must prevail.

Positive thoughts

emily67
16-09-15, 21:45
Whatever you do, don't watch Melancholia.........

dare i ask why...?

pulisa
16-09-15, 21:56
I think the subject matter may be a little worrying.....

It's just fiction though. Most disaster movies are more like comedies in my opinion. Melancholia is very dark though. I wouldn't recommend it..honestly!

emily67
16-09-15, 22:35
I think the subject matter may be a little worrying.....

It's just fiction though. Most disaster movies are more like comedies in my opinion. Melancholia is very dark though. I wouldn't recommend it..honestly!

i'll take your advice and stay away from it!

sstick to cute movies like steuart little or the lion king lol

MyNameIsTerry
16-09-15, 22:36
There is a similar thread to this about a current BS "prophecy".

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=173785

All life on earth was created something like a comet hitting it. Comets destroy what's there and bring the building blocks of life with them which means new life. But look how far back that happened and look how many thousands of generations of human life there have been since. If they all had the same fear as you, can you see how that would make every human being that sheet existed incorrect about their fear?

So, what are the chances of it happening to you?

If we didn't know all this, and have all the films about it, we wouldn't even be able to fear it.

Dan1975
16-09-15, 23:05
anyone else

i'm afraid of what might happen if 1 day an asteroid, or a star, or what ever slammed in to the earth causing us all to have to evacuate the planet because the asteroid/ forign body did too much damage to the surface

i keep thinking about it.. and as far as i know, their's no other plantes that can support life- so what would happen to us?

for years it's been predicted.. the end of the world, or the on coming asteroid slamming in to the earth, but what if it actually happened

has anyone thought about it?

We got Bruce Willis so chill!

Fishmanpa
16-09-15, 23:19
We got Bruce Willis so chill!

:roflmao: Excellent response!

Positive thoughts

cjemc
17-09-15, 22:04
:roflmao: Excellent response!

Positive thoughts

Hahahahahaha! :hugs:

Mindknot
18-09-15, 14:57
A star couldn't slam into the Earth, they don't go flying off on unexpected trajectories. Apart from the Sun, the nearest one is 4.24 light years away.

Plus, the universe is infinitely big right? Chances of such a precisely sized object (big enough to destroy ecosystems, small enough not to wipe everything out) bumping into our relatively minuscule planet within the time that you will exist on it: < 0. If it does happen, well NASA have a real-life plan to blow it up with a nuclear missile anyway (sounds great... :doh:).

Conclusion: science says don't worry, hollywood is just being over-dramatic.

However, if you want to turn your anxiety into a positive action, you could always go into one of the many areas of scientific research (food security, renewable energy, materials engineering....) which are going to become increasingly important issues for the survival of the human race - much more so than a rogue space rock.

shakey1961
20-09-15, 10:25
Sorry to say this, but if something was to hit us then we will all die! We have no way of evacuating the whole planet.

However, I'm sure the best brains, military and technology will try to destroy it before it got even close enough to be a threat.

I just hope I die quickly.

On a positive note, none of us will have any more worries and we won't feel ill.

Not going to happen!

blue moon
20-09-15, 10:55
I think we are destroying Mother Earth,the planet is suffering,I agree with shakey also there is Global warming.I worry for my children's children.

MyNameIsTerry
20-09-15, 11:04
One of my final actions will be preventing my MP making it to the safety of his underground bunker :roflmao:

Torimori
20-09-15, 15:24
One of my final actions will be preventing my MP making it to the safety of his underground bunker :roflmao:

Haha join the club!

emily67
20-09-15, 16:37
hi all,

thanks for all the replies!

when i first posted this, i wanted to delete it straight after because i was looking at the posts thinking... well, their are so many other things people are worried about- who cares about something such as the future of earth, when people have health scares etc

1 of the things that i've always had a problem with is sharing what's bothering me, because i feel like it's not really a big deal to others (but then i suppose it is)

do you know what i'm trying to say here?

not explaining myself the best

x

Torimori
20-09-15, 16:50
I know exactly what you are saying - what has taken me so long to ask for help this time as it feels that others won't understand my worries even though they are 110% real for me.

emily67
20-09-15, 18:35
I know exactly what you are saying - what has taken me so long to ask for help this time as it feels that others won't understand my worries even though they are 110% real for me.

thanks for understanding.
it can be so hard (especially for me) to express myself- partly because no one's ever cared about my feelings, and partly because i feel like they don't matter compared to everything else posted

when i posted my message about being anxious about the end of downton abby, i thought my first reply would be something along the lines of..

get a grip. it's a tv show. and if you really feel anxious about it ending, then watch it again from series 1- and don't waste our time.

but like you say, to me.. these things are real.

sitting here shaking and in tears because downton abby is ending is real to me.

xx

Fishmanpa
20-09-15, 18:46
What's encouraging is that despite the way you're feeling and yes, the feelings are real to you, you also realize that it's irrational. That in itself should give you hope that with help, you can overcome this.

Positive thoughts

Torimori
20-09-15, 21:31
What's encouraging is that despite the way you're feeling and yes, the feelings are real to you, you also realize that it's irrational. That in itself should give you hope that with help, you can overcome this.

Positive thoughts

Definitely, I think the real concern would be if we did not realise these were irrational. However, doesn't make it any easier at the time does it?

MyNameIsTerry
21-09-15, 06:35
thanks for understanding.
it can be so hard (especially for me) to express myself- partly because no one's ever cared about my feelings, and partly because i feel like they don't matter compared to everything else posted

when i posted my message about being anxious about the end of downton abby, i thought my first reply would be something along the lines of..

get a grip. it's a tv show. and if you really feel anxious about it ending, then watch it again from series 1- and don't waste our time.

but like you say, to me.. these things are real.

sitting here shaking and in tears because downton abby is ending is real to me.

xx

Thats the issue with anxiety disorders, they are irrational by their nature. The subject is no more relevant whether it is cancer or Downton Abbey, if the the reasons are based on the irrational. So, we need to be open to the fears of others as ours can come across the same anyway.

The majority of discussions on here are about the small things, whether people have worked it out at that point or not. Sometimes you get people who become frustrated with constant posters but they are a minority anyway and most people are supportive or trying to help you see through the problem.

So, don't be afraid to talk on here. This place is safe.