PDA

View Full Version : Worried about talking to the doctor

Pete_uk
17-09-15, 10:49
I am not sure if this is the right place for this subject, but I wasn't sure where else to put it. Basically I want to have 'The snip'. I am to selfish to have children and couldn't cope with the emotional/ financial stress it would cause. But I know that doctors hesitate over this depending on your situation. I'm thinking of going to see about a wart I have on my finger and bringing it up then. Thing is I know I will have to probably tell a few porkies about my situation, I don't know.
To be honest I would just pony up £300 or so and have it done at a private clinic but there isn't one around here.

What does one do? :shrug:

Traceypo
17-09-15, 11:16
How old are you Pete? I'd be worried that you'd make a permanent decision that you may later regret. There are other ways to prevent conception and whilst they are not 100%, neither is the snip. I think it's great you recognise that you couldn't handle children at the present, they are demanding of you in every aspect, however with the correct treatment you may not feel this way and could miss out on something beautiful and worthwhile.
I admit, children aren't for everyone and you might fall into that category, I know from experience from friends that you are assessed thoroughly for this process.
Good luck in your decision, there's no harm in mentioning it, but I'd be upfront and honest with your reasons.

countrygirl
17-09-15, 14:08
My husband was adamant that he only wanted one child and he had the snip at 28 but he had to pay for it as it was not available on the nhs at that age and I assume it still isn't either.

I would not bring it up when you go about something else as there just won't be time to talk properly and it will irritate the Dr because this is something that will need alot of discussion between you and him.

Go for a seperate appointment for this so there is plenty of time.
Your Gp will also know where the nearest private urologist is who does these ops as well.

Emilym80
18-09-15, 03:25
I wouldn't visit under the guise of having a separate concern, because, yeah, there wouldn't be enough time to discuss it.

I know of a few very young men who've had it so I don't think you need to worry that your doctor will rebuke you. The thing is, it's reversible, so imo it's not an unreasonable request regardless of your age.

All the best

Pete_uk
19-09-15, 03:42
Thanks for the replies. I'm 33 later this year and I just couldn't do it.

BTW my mum spent ten years on the coil with no problems. Then I popped out!

Malcolm Lewis
19-09-15, 12:12
Hello Pete,

I am new on here, but worked in healthcare for 40 years, and I have had the 'snip'.

No worries here, just ask your GP straight out. They have seen it all, and its part of the job.

No need for anxiety or embarrasment. Likewise you can get great help from the local family planning clinic and the procedure done on the NHS. You do not need a private clinic !!

I presume yourself and your partner have talked it over and you both agree, so I don't see a problem.

Hope that helps

Malcolm

sial72
19-09-15, 14:52
How old are you Pete? I'd be worried that you'd make a permanent decision that you may later regret. There are other ways to prevent conception and whilst they are not 100%, neither is the snip. I think it's great you recognise that you couldn't handle children at the present, they are demanding of you in every aspect, however with the correct treatment you may not feel this way and could miss out on something beautiful and worthwhile.
I admit, children aren't for everyone and you might fall into that category, I know from experience from friends that you are assessed thoroughly for this process.
Good luck in your decision, there's no harm in mentioning it, but I'd be upfront and honest with your reasons.
As Tracey says, there are other contraception methods. Obviously it is your decision but just let me say that up to the age of 36 I was SURE I didn't want children, I thought there would be no way I could cope...it wouldn't be fair and I simply did not like kids. Then I had my daughter. She is the single best thing that has happened in my life, she has made my life worth living...
I just wanted to share my experience. Good luck in whatever you do x

Pete_uk
20-09-15, 11:35
Thank you both for your words. Yeah, its a big thing and we all know life can turn on its head suddenly.

:)