PDA

View Full Version : Afraid of New Medication/Situation!

Akoto
18-09-15, 03:46
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums, but I read frequently when my health has me worried. I'm hopeful that finally speaking up personally might help me this time!

Sorry to give a bit of unpleasant detail, but for the past three weeks or so, I have had upset stomach/diarrhea and cramps. Those are the only symptoms, no blood in the stool or fever, etc. The two symptoms are hard enough to deal with, as I do have an actual, diagnosed chronic pain problem in the pelvic region!

I was unable to see my GP today because she had to be at the hospital, but her messaging service passed along that I was still having stomach troubles. She didn't have the time to speak with me, but she prescribed an antibiotic called Metronidazole (Flagyl). It's understandable that she was too busy to talk while at the hospital, rather than her office, but it leaves me nervous.

Has anyone ever used Metronidazole, in particular for something like upset stomach, and did it go okay? I feel a bit foolish when I asked for her help, received it, and now hesitate to take it!

As for the three weeks of upset stomach and cramps, I've consulted Doctor Google as well, of course. He disagrees with my GP, who apparently thinks my problem could be bacterial, and says I have colon cancer. :doh: 30 year old male, so I know the odds aren't very much in favor of that, but health anxiety still makes you think so!

Phill2
18-09-15, 04:42
Flagyl is fine
Take it and get better

Akoto
18-09-15, 19:19
Well, I got up the courage this morning to just swallow the Flagyl (along with my many other meds). So far, I'm doing okay. I should be dead by now, according to Google, so that's something!

Beckybecks
18-09-15, 20:00
Ah I really do sympathise with you as I'm exactly the same with Dr Google and then that fear of medication. Did the Doc mention IBS? I have it when I'm anxious and the more I worry about it the worse it gets, cramps and the works. Presumably your Doc did examine you and you can be assured that if there was any doubt at all you would have been sent for further tests. Hard to believe but your mind can cause a lot of symptoms and the more you read, the more symptoms will appear. I'm living proof of that! Well done for taking the Flagyl.

sial72
18-09-15, 20:07
To be honest I cannot understand why she has given you Flagyl to take, antibiotics are for bacteria. Does she think you have bacteria in your stomach? Has she tested you for this?
I am very anti-taking meds when not necessary. We are become antibiotic resistant because they are prescribed when not necessary and in this case I really can't understand what they have been prescribed for...xx