PDA

View Full Version : Scared i have Barrette's oesophagus

Peterthegreatworrier
18-09-15, 10:16
Hi. I am 18 and have had acid reflux for about 5 years. Origionaly I had medication and it decreased but I have been off it since the first year although I still get symptoms. I am worried that I may have/get Barrette's oesophagus where untreated reflux for about over 5 years damages the throat and increases the risk of throat cancer. I am really worried that it may be too late and that I'm going to get oesophageal cancer, which has one of the highest fatality rates of all cancers. I spoke to my GP about this some months ago, and he said that I would have to have quite servere relux for a long time to get cancer, but I just can't trust him with all the other information on the internet. What are your thoughts?:unsure:
Regards, Peterthegreatworrier.

dsavvy
18-09-15, 10:23
hi, sorry that you are feeling this way, but i am more inclined to agree with your doctor.
I guess what you have to do is investigate what makes it worse and just manage it,

I had acid reflux for a while, i think mainly from a bad diet and certain foods really trigger it, i was on PPI tablets to reduce the acid, and over time i just learned what i can get away with eating and drinking, i think you should go back to your doctor and ask how you can manage it, if he hasn't done so already....

You will be surprised what a good diet can do for you....

Peterthegreatworrier
18-09-15, 10:35
Thanks, dsavvy:flowers:
Yes, there are some things which make in worse, such as high carb food too quickly or skipping regular meal times. I've got an appointment with the same GP next week, so I guess I'll just bring it up again then (though without the anxiety!)
Regards, Peterthegreatworrier.

dsavvy
18-09-15, 10:42
no worries, also a good tip, sleeping with your head elevated above your stomach did me wonders. Which reduced acid back flow into the throat, it will take weeks for it to feel better, I was taking tablets for a good 6 months and cut out a lot of things from my diet, and introduced slowly back in, to see what gave me the most problems... Now i hardly feel it, i can go for months without an incident.
We are quickly approaching xmas, which means i have to be extra careful with all this food temptation.

You will be fine, the older you get the less tolerable your stomach gets, and anxiety just makes it worse.... find things which help you relax or find a project to work to take your mind of it....