PDA

View Full Version : Lump on back of neck near suboccipital

ipaced789
18-09-15, 15:21
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place, but here goes. I have this lump about 0.5" or so in circumference and seems oblong, it's unmovable and hard, it feels like it's buried into the muscle. It's located on the back of my neck, left side on the suboccipital area right below where the skull and neck meet. I have been to 7 different doctors who have told me to put ice on it and soak it in hot water. It's been there for around 6 months, some days it seems smaller than others. I've had X-rays and ct scans, all normal. Blood work was also normal. My neck has dull aching pain and my neck is stiff. I'm very worried about this, the anxiety this has brought me is really getting to me. Can anyone help me understand what this might be? Thanks in advance.

sial72
18-09-15, 15:34
The fact that docs are telling you to put ice on it means that they can feel it, right?
So what do they suggest it is?

dsavvy
18-09-15, 15:37
if you have had this for 6 months and all doctors say it is ok, I don't think you need to worry,
I had a lump on the side of my neck for many years and had it removed surgically because it started to grow, and wasn't anything serious.

Just go back to your doctor and ask him what should be the next step? but i wouldn't worry.

Fishmanpa
18-09-15, 15:41
While any response as to what it is would just be a guess, I would take solace in having 7 doctors telling you not to worry as gospel!

Positive thoughts

ipaced789
18-09-15, 16:10
Thanks for the replies, the doctors have only said its "probably a muscle" since nothing showed up on the cat scan. I understand it would be a guess, I suppose my worry is that it could be a cancerous lump, I just can't afford to keep running back and forth to the docs :/

Fishmanpa
18-09-15, 16:35
I'm a cancer survivor. Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go, get smaller then bigger nor does it stop once it starts. A CT would have shown anything anything suspicious that warranted further investigation. Keep in mind scientific tests and 7 doctors have told you not to worry.

I would have jumped for joy had ONE doctor told me not to worry! :winks:

Positive thoughts

dsavvy
18-09-15, 16:40
i agree with fishmanpa, i am also a cancer survivor my lump just kept growing and VERY visible, and if they were worried they would have performed a biopsy.

So don't panic, relax, take a deep breath and enjoy life....

Cags48
23-09-15, 12:20
What does suboccipital even mean ?

emmalj0
23-09-15, 12:38
I kno how u feel still worrying after several drs have said its fine and scans picked nothin up. Iv a lump bout 1cm on my abdominal wall near where my underwire sits. Iv seen everyone had four ultrasounds nothing has been detected and iv been told lobulated tissue. I still think what if missed. Iv had over two years hasnt grown or changed. We should listen to others who have had cancer and survived that things dont stay the same and would have been detected.