PDA

View Full Version : A worrying few months....

Holliee
18-09-15, 15:23
I've posted here before on occasion I believe and have actually tried very hard not to come back and post/read anything on hopes that I might be able to sort myself out.

Around April time I started to get pelvic pain and I was treated for everything it could've been (infection etc.) and had an ultrasound to look at my ovaries and womb. No issues here and assumed possible endometriosis or adhesions.
I also began getting stabbing and aching in my chest around this time and was told it's probably a muscle problem.
During cervical swabs I experience a lot of pain and am told my cervix looks ectropian? The pain in the cervix does worry me but I try to put it aside for now.

A few months later the pain is continuing and I notice hard almondy, fixed lumps in my groin...this worries me further and I go to see my doctor for advise, she says she is unsure about my nodes an they 'could be normal' as I am thin, but I have never noticed them before and had been rubbing this area a lot before to relive the pain and they weren't there.

I had to come home from uni at this point and began to try and take things up with my doctor back home, by this point (July) my symptoms had become pelvic pain, enlarge nodes in groin, lines of blood under nails, itchy skin, chest pain, night sweats, fatigued, aches all over, decreased vision, headaches, persistent cough, pins and needles in fingers and toes, mucousy stools and and stomach/abdomen pain in one area. I had also lost around 5kg. He tried to put me on antidepressants and sent me away!

I ended up at A&E for the chest pains and they did blood and an X-ray. D-dimer results came back funny and they sent me for a chest CT scan for a suspected pulmonary embolism...nothing was seen on the CT and I was sent home.

Been back to the doctors and called a few times since, had all kinds of ANA, mono, thyroid, full bloods etc. And everything is always within normal ranges.
Recently the nodes in my neck down the sides have come up at the sides but I did have a cold two weeks ago so I'm trying to relate those to that, but I did notice a deeper very hard one that is the same at the ones in my hips.
I also have had a painful stab in my left side of my abdomen, almost feels like its on the surface like a stitch pain but feels bruised to touch and has been there for months now.

I'm 22 and feel that because of my age I'm being ignored by doctors a lot. I genuinely feel very off, I'm back at uni for freshers week this week and am apreshensive to even go out because of how headachey I am all the time, my pelvic pain and the stabbing I get in my abdomen.
Obviously I am not here really for reassurance but perhaps for advice? Should I be progressing this with the doctors? I'm so worried about being dismissed again but I've started my second year of uni and I'm worried this is going to distract me too much.

---------- Post added at 15:23 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

That is such a rant, I'm so sorry! Ahah

sial72
18-09-15, 15:31
Have you taken any antibiotics in the last few months?

Holliee
20-09-15, 19:49
Have you taken any antibiotics in the last few months?

Yeah I was on trimethoprim back in april because they found bacteria in my urine, then when that didn't help with the pelvic pain I went on Metronidazole for 5 days in june for BV then they suspected Pelvic inflammatory disease so I went on Metronidazole again and doxycycline for 2 weeks. Then they tried to put me on more because they found more bacteria in my urine but I only took three and then didn't take them as i felt i'd been on too many in a short space of time.

But i came off the last lot I was on back at the start of July

Cags48
23-09-15, 12:18
How old are you ? Could it be perimenapause

Holliee
24-09-15, 11:54
How old are you ? Could it be perimenapause

I'm 22,
Been on birth control pills for about 2 years too, came off them recently to see if it's help but unfortunately not :(

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 ----------

Really apprehensive to return to the doctors as I although I have all these issues they're constantly dismissive to the point where going in genuinely seem like a waste of time...

Traceypo
24-09-15, 11:56
Do you study away from home. If so, register with local gp there as a visitor and make an appointment, it may put your mind at rest to get a 2nd opinion.
Xx

Holliee
24-09-15, 12:19
Do you study away from home. If so, register with local gp there as a visitor and make an appointment, it may put your mind at rest to get a 2nd opinion.
Xx

I'm registered with the uni gp here, which is only across the road so I'm proud of myself for having been back for a couple weeks and not gone in yet.
But it was more of a test to see if I felt better and I really don't!

Think I'll go in tomorrow in a nonchalant kind of way that keeps me calm and means I can explain properly. X

blondie47
24-09-15, 13:36
The fact that your symptoms are so widespread throughout your body tells me its anxiety. The mind is such a powerful weapon! If your symptoms were confined to one part of your body I would think it would be more cause for concern.

I have imagined all of the symptoms you have, to us they are very real. I remember being young, around your age, this is when the AIDS epidemic was just becoming known. I remember reading that the symptoms were enlarged lymphnodes, and within days I had enlarged lymphnodes. It wasn't imagined, they actually did get enlarged. I guess it was from me constantly poking and prodding them. It took doctors literally years to convince me that I did not have AIDS. It was then I learned how powerful the mind is - we can and do imagine every symptom.

It sounds as though you have had a thorough check up and then some. Has the doctor given you anything for anxiety? I would start there. Doctors do tend to be dismissive when they think it's all in your head. I wish more doctors would realize that anxiety is a very real illness, but most are trained to fix what they can and dismiss what they can't.

Holliee
24-09-15, 16:55
The fact that your symptoms are so widespread throughout your body tells me its anxiety. The mind is such a powerful weapon! If your symptoms were confined to one part of your body I would think it would be more cause for concern.

I have imagined all of the symptoms you have, to us they are very real. I remember being young, around your age, this is when the AIDS epidemic was just becoming known. I remember reading that the symptoms were enlarged lymphnodes, and within days I had enlarged lymphnodes. It wasn't imagined, they actually did get enlarged. I guess it was from me constantly poking and prodding them. It took doctors literally years to convince me that I did not have AIDS. It was then I learned how powerful the mind is - we can and do imagine every symptom.

It sounds as though you have had a thorough check up and then some. Has the doctor given you anything for anxiety? I would start there. Doctors do tend to be dismissive when they think it's all in your head. I wish more doctors would realize that anxiety is a very real illness, but most are trained to fix what they can and dismiss what they can't.

I think the problem I have is that I never get any rest from these symptoms for about 4 months now they've just remained to the point where some of them don't even cause me concern anymore because I'm so accustomed to the feeling.
I don't poke my lymphnodes at all, if I touch them and they're still up it send me into a worry so only check them about once every 3 weeks or so and they're always rock hard when I do...
I think the kind of health anxiety I suffer from I will do anything to convince myself I'm fine and DONT need to see a doctor whereas I feel a lot of other people here will feel the need to keep going back?

I do however completely agreed that some of my symptoms are anxiety related, like my loss of appetite usually occurs after a bout of worry! But I'm just not convinced all of them are

sial72
24-09-15, 19:55
Yeah I was on trimethoprim back in april because they found bacteria in my urine, then when that didn't help with the pelvic pain I went on Metronidazole for 5 days in june for BV then they suspected Pelvic inflammatory disease so I went on Metronidazole again and doxycycline for 2 weeks. Then they tried to put me on more because they found more bacteria in my urine but I only took three and then didn't take them as i felt i'd been on too many in a short space of time.

But i came off the last lot I was on back at the start of July

I have had lots of health problems after taking Quinolone antibiotics, these give a lot of people problems, and I know for some people these symptoms can appear after some time so they find it hard to relate the two.
I don't know about the antibiotics you took. Look into Doxy, I think I have seen some side effects from that one.
And in any case look into taking probiotics after so much antibiotic xx

Holliee
24-09-15, 20:46
I have had lots of health problems after taking Quinolone antibiotics, these give a lot of people problems, and I know for some people these symptoms can appear after some time so they find it hard to relate the two.
I don't know about the antibiotics you took. Look into Doxy, I think I have seen some side effects from that one.
And in any case look into taking probiotics after so much antibiotic xx

When I first started going to the doctor about all of the symptoms that seemed to start just after the metronidazole and doxy they told me there was no way it could be related at all. But offered me no help in finding out what exactly was happening...so I just assumed it would all pass.
Instead it just got worse and worse and eventually last month a different gp back where I live when I'm at home said 'well a lot of these symptoms can come from antibiotics' which annoyed me a bit!
I've been off all ab's for about 6 weeks now, and it seems like the only time they'll blame the antibiotics is when I start trying to make them get to the bottom of everything.

Holliee
25-09-15, 19:03
Oddly enough I've been having a good few weeks and today I'm feeling really pent up with anxiety and worry. Just want to cry.

blondie47
26-09-15, 11:36
I think the problem I have is that I never get any rest from these symptoms for about 4 months now they've just remained to the point where some of them don't even cause me concern anymore because I'm so accustomed to the feeling.
I don't poke my lymphnodes at all, if I touch them and they're still up it send me into a worry so only check them about once every 3 weeks or so and they're always rock hard when I do...
I think the kind of health anxiety I suffer from I will do anything to convince myself I'm fine and DONT need to see a doctor whereas I feel a lot of other people here will feel the need to keep going back?

I do however completely agreed that some of my symptoms are anxiety related, like my loss of appetite usually occurs after a bout of worry! But I'm just not convinced all of them are

I don't think that is unusual - I think most of us are here seeking reassurance that nothing is wrong. I know I am like this, I hate going to a doctor and will only go if someone in my family catches wind of my anxiety and forces me to go. I want reassurance in the worst way, sometimes I come here (like today) and google the symptoms I am having on any particular day and I find others complaining about the same thing. It wards me off for a day or two, sometimes longer.

I do think your lymphnodes can be hard as a result of anxiety, even if you aren't poking or prodding them. I also think your symptoms are ALL very real. This is what health anxiety does, it convinces you to hyper-focus on every single body ache and dwell on it to the point where you are convinced there must be wrong, even in spite of tests, doctor reassurance, etc. A lot of it is sub-conscious, we might even dwell on it in our sleep and during the day even if we are thinking of something else, it's always lurking in the background.

Also my son was on Doxy for Lyme Disease and those drugs are so nasty and powerful. Don't dismiss doctor's advice that it could be that making you sick, especially as it pertains to your stomach. My son was 12 years old at the time and does not suffer from any type of anxiety. He was sicker on the drugs than he was off. That antibiotic I think is designed to make you sicker before it makes you better.

I'm glad you had a good couple of days but sorry you are feeling poorly again. I guess my advice is to tell you to concentrate on those good days - if you had something horrific I doubt you would feel good on any days.

Holliee
27-09-15, 19:43
This is going to sound crazy given that I've just spent the last 3/4 months worried about lymphoma, but my boyfriends parents dog has just been diagnosed with it. Honestly don't know how I feel...other than scared