PDA

View Full Version : Tired of this problem

Malcolm Lewis
19-09-15, 12:02
Hi Everyone,

Being new to this forum let me introduce my problem. I am a retired healthcare professional with some 40 years experience in healthcare ( I am now just over 60, which does not help at all, as I realise I am of an age where health problems may be serious ! ).

Since retirement I have been plagued with health anxiety. The issues arise every week or so, ie, I think I have something very wrong with me. So far, nothing, but I am now at the stage where every little minor sensation or change in function triggers worry. In the last two years I have self diagnosed:

Stomach cancer
Oral cancer
Multiple sclerosis/peripheral neuropathy
Testicular cancer ( scan showed no problems )
Prostate cancer ( ended up having a biopsy for that, and no problems )
Skin cancer
Pancreatic cancer
( Amongst other things, but these are the major ones )

My GP is Ok, and very knowledgeable, but I am at the stage when I no longer want to bother him as I feel a fool.

He does not call me a hypochindriac, but I am begining to think I may be bothering him too much. I work on the premise of 'wait and see', and often give it a week or two if I have symptoms and then shedule a visit. My last visit involved having a FBC (all normal), just s few weeks ago.

I am of course afraid of 'missing' something, but realise I cannot go on like this. So I feel I am between a rock and a hard place.

I have previously been on a small dose of Fluoxetine, which helped, but quite correctly my GP does not want me to become dependent upon that. I have aslo seen the CPN and she had s been fine. I have been put on the waiting list for CBT ( 15 months ago !! ) and it will be December before I get into the next group.

At the present time I have had vague abdominal discomfort for 7 days after eating ( not all the time, and very minor, and I have already convinced myself I have pancreatic cancer ). Problem is I cannot go on like this. My wife is tollerant, but the health anxiety is ruining my life. Anyone about my age had this problem ?.

I look at lots of posts from young people who are low down the list of develoiping cancers, but at my age, and as you get older this is a real worry, and I cannot stop this over reaction.

Kind Regards

Malcolm
North of England