PDA

View Full Version : Quetiapine ?

Lan69
20-09-15, 11:20
Sorry if I'm posting in wrong place but I couldn't see a forum for this med. is there one ?
I was just wondering if anyone was taking this for GAD as my psychiatrist has it as an option got me
Anyone ?

MyNameIsTerry
20-09-15, 11:25
There isn't a board for this med but there are some threads about it on the Meds board. There are some people on here I have seen talk about their experiences with it so hopefully they will spot your thread but I would say have a look on the main Meds board too.

Rennie1989
20-09-15, 12:45
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Lilac58
20-09-15, 13:11
Hi,

I took quetiapine for about a couple of years for anxiety. Was taking citalopram for depression then anxiety came on too.

I found it very helpful with anxiety. Started off at 25mg and got up to 100mg for a good effect.

I did need a huge amount of sleep though.

I think it well worth a try and you need to get the dose right for yourself. I was desperate and grateful for anything but others not so keen on meds so it's an individual choice.

Happy to give more info.

Good luck :)

Lan69
20-09-15, 13:20
There isn't a board for this med but there are some threads about it on the Meds board. There are some people on here I have seen talk about their experiences with it so hopefully they will spot your thread but I would say have a look on the main Meds board too.

Thank you I shall have a browse

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

Hi,

I took quetiapine for about a couple of years for anxiety. Was taking citalopram for depression then anxiety came on too.

I found it very helpful with anxiety. Started off at 25mg and got up to 100mg for a good effect.

I did need a huge amount of sleep though.

I think it well worth a try and you need to get the dose right for yourself. I was desperate and grateful for anything but others not so keen on meds so it's an individual choice.

Happy to give more info.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the input

I have a friend on it and she swears by it for her anxiety and also my son has just started on it last week he is schizophrenic.
I was offered this but was scared off when they said it was an anti psychotic drug so I opted for pregablin.
The jury is still out at the moment whether I made the right choice or not

MyNameIsTerry
20-09-15, 13:33
If it is the label of it being an anti psychotic that put you off, there are people on another one called Olanzapine on here. Whilst it might be a different one maybe they can put your mind at rest over that worry?

Lan69
20-09-15, 13:40
If it is the label of it being an anti psychotic that put you off, there are people on another one called Olanzapine on here. Whilst it might be a different one maybe they can put your mind at rest over that worry?

Yes it was, I was in a bad place at the time mentally and the crisis team informed the psychiatrist who came to visit me at home
I can't even remember much about it I was in such a state I just remember her saying it was really good and my anxirty would be gone in days but when I heard the words anti psychotic I just panicked.
Looking back I should of just tried it cos I was put on sertraline ( along with my mirtazapine ) and ended up hospitalised 4 days later

Lan69
22-09-15, 10:24
Well I'm going to give this med a try as of tomorrow night. I need to have an ECG and blood test first so if all is well I shall be starting on a low dose twice a day and increasing to 200mg. Also I shall be tapering off the pregablin so I shall just be on mirtazapine and quetiapine.
Rather nervous as Im scared to take new tablets I worry about how they will affect me but I need to be brave and just bite the bullet! I shall post how I get on with it incase anyone else is interested

Lan69
24-09-15, 08:37
So last night I took my first 25mg quetiapine. The plan is I take 25mg x2 day 1, 50mg x2 day 2 and 100mg x2 day 3.
I was expecting the drug to make me feel drowsy but it didn't. Had terrible RLS and had a really poor sleep. That could of course be due to my anxiety about taking this drug so hopefully tonight I will sleep better. Apart from that nothing else to report but it's still early days.

tommackent88
24-09-15, 22:51
I'm pleased to hear that you are doing well and thank you for keeping us updated. Best wishes x

Lan69
25-09-15, 08:54
I'm pleased to hear that you are doing well and thank you for keeping us updated. Best wishes x

Thank you
Day 2 and took 50mg last night. Did sleep a bit better but was still up early cos once my anxiety sets in I have to get up it won't let me stay in bed ( oh how I miss my lie ins ). Took my morning dose and I do feel drowsy but not drowsy enough to take a nap so I'm just chilling on settee. Still no major side effects to report, just the drowsiness and a dry mouth.
100mg tonight ! A bit nervous but hoping it gives me a better nights sleep. I do have some 3.75 zoplicone but I'm unsure wether I can take it with quetiapine. My CPN is visiting this morning so I shall see if he can answer that.

Lan69
26-09-15, 09:29
100mg last night, took it about 10pm and went to bed abt 11.30. Don't recall waking up during the night but my anxiety woke me up about 6.30 am. Still wake up with anxious symptoms and dreading the day ahead. Took my morning dose about 8 am and I'm now zonked on the couch. I won't sleep tho my anxiety doesn't let me so I'm feeling sedated and anxios, not a good combination. Side effects are the same as yesterday but also my appetite has returned with a bang....I can't stop eating !

Lan69
27-09-15, 09:34
I survived my first day on 200mg (100mg morning/100mg night). Took my night time dose at 9pm and nodded off on sofa at 10.30 so took myself off to bed. Woke up a couple of times thanks to son not, he had been on a night out. Yesterday I did feel rather drowsy all day and developed a headache last night but nothing a couple of paracetamol couldn't shift. Iv also noticed Iv woken up each morning with a really stuffy nose. I'm not seeing any more improvement to my anxiety in comparison to the pregablin but I'm aware like all meds you have to give them some time to do their stuff so I shall have to just 'wait and see'

Lan69
28-09-15, 09:11
Don't know if anyone is reading this bit if not I shall use it like a journal through my quetiapine journey
Yesterday wasn't good, anxiety was pretty high all day. I was all worked up about being on my own today and worrying tablets weren't working. I had to ring the crisis team at about 8 pm just to talk over my fears. I know it's all probably down to just starting a new med that increased very quickly and the reduction in my pregablin but I think I just needed some reassurance.
Took my tablets at 9pm and at 10pm I felt so drowsy I was staggering and had an actual panic attack! Took myself to bed scared stiff but managed to fall asleep. Not sure what time I woke up but it was still dark and my anxiety kicked straight in. Was all worked up about son starting collage today and knowing I'm going to be on my own for about 10 hours.
So now I'm sitting on doorstep smoking my head off and wondering if I have done the right thing adding the quetiapine or should I have given the pregablin longer? A friend of a friend says the quetiapine took a while to work for her but to stick with it as I will be amazed at the changes.....so for now I shall just try to get through each hour

tommackent88
28-09-15, 19:09
Hi Lan

I am still reading and I'm very glad you are still writing! Hang in there. I'm so sorry you are having a tough time at the moment. You were so strong to make the decision to go down this route, you can do it! Hopefully another few days and the anxiety will start to subside.

Best wishes

T

Lan69
29-09-15, 10:09
Hi Lan

I am still reading and I'm very glad you are still writing! Hang in there. I'm so sorry you are having a tough time at the moment. You were so strong to make the decision to go down this route, you can do it! Hopefully another few days and the anxiety will start to subside.

Best wishes

T

Cheers
So yesterday my anxiety was bad on the morning but I forced myself to take car too garage( back suspension had gone), I hadn't drove for about 3 weeks and I was totally lost without my car it's my lifeline to the outside world. My main symptoms where the churning stomach and the shallow breathing and of course my worrying thoughts...will I ever get better, what if theses tablets don't work what next..... The usual what ifs
Then last night I got a phone call from my sons ward ( he's schizophrenic ) to say he had ran away, he's on a section 3, I rang his phone and got a shock when a paramedic answered ! He had been assaulted and was mortal drunk. I got a taxi to hospital and what an awful sight to see your son bruised and battered. He had a broken nose and ther decided to keep him in overnight for observations. I left about 11 and realised that from arriving at hospital my anxiety had gone !!! Came home took tablets and went to bed ( took a 3.75 zoplicone) and slept till 7am. Woke up and yes my stalker anxiety was ready and waiting for me....so shall see how today pans out

Lan69
29-09-15, 15:39
Well Iv surprised myself today, managed to go shopping with a relative and we even had a bite to eat in a cafe and I didn't feel anxious at all ! We then went to visit another relative....so all in all it looks like my anxiety dare I say is getting under control:) I think the morning anxiety will be with me a long time so I reckon I just need to live with it for now....I can sleep, eat and go out places again so that's a result and I'm feeling pretty positive today

Lan69
30-09-15, 09:43
Completed my first week on quetiapine and Iv survived!
Had a nice relaxing evening watching TV. Slept well for about 7 hours when mr anxiety arrived to get me up. Why are mornings so awful ? I dream of the day I wake up not feeling anxious but am starting to believe that's never going to happen .....
My CPN is coming this morning apparently we are going to form a plan to schedule my day. I'm so used to being on the go and working I'm struggling with this daily ground hog day, I just want to be able to be well enough to work even if it is only a few hours a week.
Anyway back to the quetiapine, still making me feel drowsy on a morning but if I find something to do and have a coffee it wears off. I've noticed having a bit heartburn but nothing too uncomfortable. Also my joints are aching but that could be down to a few factors and I am getting older lol. Nothing else to report hopefully I won't develop any new side effects .

Lan69
01-10-15, 09:50
Had a canny day yesterday I managed to go to hairdressers and sit for over 2 hours! Last time I had haircut was in February, the thiught of going to hairdressers terrified. I was anxious but I managed to keep on top of it. I also managed to go visit my son in hospital last night, I drove, had a lot of anicipatory anxiety while waiting to go but I managed.
Had horrible heart burn last night and my joints are really aching today told CPN and he's going to pass that on to my new psychiatrist ( I'm meeting her for the first time next week). Still waking up full of anxiety I seem to be having anticipatory anxiety fearing the day ahead I don't think that will ever go away.

Lan69
02-10-15, 10:32
Been on my dose a week today
And it wasn't as bad as I expected. I thought I would be like a walking zombie and sleeping most of the time like what other people have reported but Iv had none of that. I do feel drowsy on a morning after I take my tablets so I'm going to see if it improves over weekend and if it doesn't I'm going to ask my psychiatrist if I could try taking 150mg at night and 50mg on a morning or even take the full 200mg at night as it may help with morning anxiety. Another option is to try the XR version which is the extended release. I shall do some digging around about this and see which one seems to work best for people. I have a feeling they will want to stop my pregablin from 300mg to 200mg but I think that is too much of a drop and I just want to get stabilised on my meds and not upset the apple cart!

Lan69
03-10-15, 11:06
Well I'm having an awful morning today. Woke up about 6.30 and my anxiety was waiting for as usual. Churning stomach, shallow breathing the worrying thoughts....how will I survive today, what if I don't get better, what if I can never work again !
I feel sedated and anxious again I need to discuss this with my psychiatrist when I see her cos it's a horrible feeling and it makes me more anxious. It quite surreal like I'm in a dream world and would love to curl up and have a nap but my mind won't let me it's like it's scared to let go and let me sleep, maybe it's a control thing.
Yesterday I had another ok afternoon and evening I even managed to go out for a meal with friend but I did rather feel like I was a goldfish watching from inside a bowl. They really don't understand they think because I look ok I must be better and it's hard to explain that I may look well but my mind is a mess....if only they could read it

Lan69
04-10-15, 10:56
Didn't have a very good day yesterday I only managed to take dogs out and pop to local shop. I had no motivation and didnt feel safe with the drowsy feeling. I must ask doc if this gets better or do I need my morning dose reduced.
Feeling pretty much the same today and I have a feeling I will get worse as day goes on worrying about being alone tomorrow when son is at college. I don't know why I'm afraid of being alone tho cos he's always floating in and out of house all day so I'm often alone, but him going to college is making me anxious.
I'm going to try force myself to do a bit more today. Go to the supermarket and try make a Sunday dinner I just wish I felt more alert and motivated and could get off this settee

Lan69
05-10-15, 11:49
Woke up with anxiety as usual it's like a switch being switched on. It must of been about 6am ish I tried to stay in bed but it wouldn't let me I had to get up. Was feeling very anxious about being alone all day and also having a doctors appiontment
Why am I so scared ? It does my head in I hate it. Sat in the doctors with waves of panic kept thinking I was going to pass out and felt detached from my surroundings. The doctor has told me to stop my statin for a month to see if it's that causing my joint pain. Also to have a vit D test.
The weather isn't helping with my mood today and I can't seem to get on top of the 'what ifs', I hate living like this. Going to see my new psychiatrist tomorrow see what she had to say. I don't think I'm ready to decrease my pregablin yet I'm scared I go to that dark place again

benji80
05-10-15, 12:10
Been prescribed this but am nervous about taking it. I have been prescribed 25 mg. I keep saying I will take it tonight but it never happens.

Lan69
05-10-15, 13:09
Been prescribed this but am nervous about taking it. I have been prescribed 25 mg. I keep saying I will take it tonight but it never happens.

I started on 25mg x twice a day and was increased to 100mg x twice a day over 3 days. Also my pregablin was reduced by 100mg a day. So a bit of a bumpy ride but in all honesty it only made me feel drowsy when I take my 100mg on a morning
Some people seem to be knocked out for the count but it doesn't affect me that way in the least. Sometimes I wish It would so I could have a nap during the day just to have a break from my worries. Give it a try 25 mg is a small dose. Im going to give it a good go for a few weeks and hopefully when it's settled in my system I shall feel the benefits . I'm going to check tomorrow how long it should take for this and some say it worked instantly and others say a few weeks. I'm slightly disappointed that it didn't work straight away which is what the crisis team psychiatrist said it would. I'm not staying on an antisychotic drug if I'm not seeing any benefit

benji80
05-10-15, 13:44
I have had it for a week so it has taken me a while to pluck up the courage. Have been on mirtazapine, they did help with sleep to start with but unfortunately that has worn off a bit. I have been off work sick for a while now and need to sort this problem soon as I am supposed to be back at the end of the week. So Lan69, How bad is the drowisness upon awaking? I can live with a couple of hours but don't want to be in a zombie state all day!

Lan69
05-10-15, 14:14
I've been unable to work since may. I need to go back cos I know sitting stuck in house all day isn't helping but the thought terrifies me incase I can't do it, I can see me having to resign if things don't improve soon.
The drowsiness is normally faded by dinner time provably quicker if your doing stuff. I try to force myself to do stuff and drink a couple of coffees. My sleep isn't that good (mirt30 mg) I can go to sleep ok normally but I wake up way too early still feeling tired but anxious too. So I take my tablets while I'm already still tired so that won't be helping. There is an extended release version which I might ask psychiatrist about maybe that would combat the drowsiness.

benji80
05-10-15, 14:46
Been off work since mid august myself. Got to go back on friday unless I can get signed off further but am going to see how the next few days panned out. Feeling a drowsy spell coming on now, it's horrible. I started off on 7.5mg of mirt. First week was up and down but the second week, I felt a bit better, I was able to go out and do things. It was like a cloud had lifted but then the doctor upped it to 15mg. The first few days were ok, I was still managing but then it went belly up. My sleep started to go bad again, I got heart palpartations(those have eased off a bit now). The doctor said to go back down to 7.5mg but doing that didn't make much difference. I was supposed to start taking the quetiapine last wednesday instead of the mirt but I bottled it and just
carried on with the mirt. I thought if I stay on it a bit longer things might pick up again but they haven't really. So tonight I will have to bite the bullet. That's the trouble with these meds, you keep taking them and wonder when they are going to work.

Lan69
05-10-15, 16:25
I started on 15mg mirt for a week, then it was upped to 30mg then 45mg. I struggled on 45mg and sertraline was added. Lasted 3 days and ended up in hospital. Mirt was reduced back to 30mg, sert was increased for a week but it made me worse so it was tapered off and pregablin was added. The first week I felt so much better but it didn't last so it was increased.
After discharge the crisis team psychiatrist added the quetiapine, her plan is to decrease the pregablin so I only take mirt and quetiapine. I don't feel stable enough yet to decrease the pregablin so hopefully psychiatrist will agree with me and let me have another couple of weeks.
I was lead to believe my anxiety would be gone in a few days ! Maybe for some people but mine must be untouchable . The thing that worries me is if this doesn't work what's their next option! I like a plan it makes me feel safer. I'm due back to work next month but that won't be happening. I wish I could stop worrying about it cos I know it's not helping. I just want shot of this morning anxiety then I might stand a chance x

benji80
05-10-15, 17:48
Sorry to hear that. Please try to be a bit more positive, I know that is hard. You may well yet be ready to return to work next month. I feel like that atm, supposed to be back in a few days but the way I feel today, it seems impossible. The problem with these meds are its all trial and error. If the pregablin is helping then they shouldn't drop the dose. I have to agree with you when you are told to take something and it will go away. I didn't expect it to go on this long myself. I can understand if you are worried about it, it's ok.

benji80
06-10-15, 08:51
Took it last night. Hardly slept so back to the doctors this morning

Lan69
06-10-15, 10:22
Took it last night. Hardly slept so back to the doctors this morning

I never slept my first night of taking it. I think it was cos I was scared about what it would do so my anxiety was sky high. I hope the doctor can help, maybe you need a higher dose. I go to sleep ok every night but I'm always anxious cos I know it's going to wake me up in the morning. Surely there must be something available for morning anxiety! I'm giving up hope it will ever go away
I don't know how high they can up the quetiapine for anxiety cod I think too high a dose affects the brain differently. I'm not sure about all the ins and outs how it works. I'm going to tell her I don't like the morning dose I don't like this groggy anxious feelings
Let me know how you get on

benji80
06-10-15, 12:05
Got to persevere with 25mg and stop the mirtazapine. How long until your sleep came back Lan69?

Lan69
06-10-15, 14:01
I slept ok the following night, I get to sleep but wake up early
I have to keep my medication the same for the next 3 weeks only change is instead of taking 100mg in the morning I take 50mg in morning and 50mg in the afternoon

benji80
06-10-15, 15:21
Sounds awful having to split it like that, a recipe for all day drowziness

Lan69
06-10-15, 17:42
Psychiatrist seems to think I will get used to tiredness in time. I think she is leaning towards stopping the quetiapine and increasing the pregablin. See her again in 3 weeks .

benji80
06-10-15, 19:21
Hope you do get your pregablin upped if it helps. Will try the quentiapine again tonight and hope for better results, feeling shattered

Lan69
06-10-15, 22:06
Will your doctor not give you something to help you sleep? I have some 3.75 zoplicone but I only use it maybe once a week just so I know I have one night of undisturbed sleep.
Hope the quetiapine helps you sleep tonight

23tana
07-10-15, 00:34
Hi. I've been on aripiprazole but am about to change to quentiapine on doctor's advise. Do you think I should?

benji80
07-10-15, 09:32
Did get some sleep Lan69. Not as much as I would had liked but it's a start. I do have some zopiclone but would like to try to avoid using them if possible as I only have a few and getting more would be like trying to get blood out of a stone. 23tana, do you find the aripiprazole helping at all? That's what you need to consider. I can't really comment on quentiapine as I have only started and on a low dose

Lan69
07-10-15, 09:39
Yes the zoplicone is like good dust, I only have a few so I use them very sparingly. Just had my 50mg dose this morning and I'm not as sedated as normal which I'm pleased about. I wish it would knock this morning anxiety on the head then I would feel so much better

Lan69
08-10-15, 12:05
Well I'm giving it 3 weeks and if I don't see a miraculous recovery I'm coming off it. My psychiatrist agrees that we will then stop the quetiapine and stick to the pregablin, going up the doses if necessary. She deems quite confident that I will recover from this episode and return to work. Im clinging on too her words, my ultimate goal is to return to work

benji80
08-10-15, 14:15
They can take time to work, hang in there. My doctor says it can be two weeks before anything will pick up for me. Getting about 4 or 5 hours sleep a night atm. Whilst it helps a bit, it's not enough, I feel weak. Can get out and do things in small doses,but I do feel weak and groggy still. I will have to try and get back to work soon before the sick pay runs out but right now it feels impossible.

Lan69
08-10-15, 14:56
I'm averaging on about 6 hours and I still feel exhausted. Iv been on them 2 weeks so I'm hoping they do there best soon. My appetite is unreal I can't stop eating. My psychiatrist is hoping I'm back to work in the new year at the moment that seems impossible but I'm hoping she's right cos the boredom isn't helping

benji80
08-10-15, 17:50
Oh the increased appetite. I remember that happening to me when I started on the mirt now it's happening again on the quetiapien. Hope you get back to work soon.

Lan69
08-10-15, 19:52
I know I'm going to out weight on but at this point I don't really care as long as I get my mental health sorted, I can deal with the weight issues later. My work are contacting my doctor they asked my permission so I gave it so see what comes from that

Lan69
09-10-15, 09:27
I don't want to speak to soon but I think there may of been a shift to the positive
Still waking up anxious but today I didn't feel as scared as usual. I was able to calm myself reminding myself that's it's just anxiety and too much adrenaline being produced. It can't harm me it's just a really really horrible feeling but it will get better in time.
If I continue to feel better the only problem is will I be allowed to stat on this combination of meds or will they still try to take one off me .....and which one will it be !!

Lan69
10-10-15, 12:40
My physical symptoms are seeming to ease earlier after waking up shaking, butterflies and shallow breathing but the mental anxiety is high today. I wonder if this is how it works, the physical symptoms go first. I always seem to smoke more when I'm anxious which doesn't help cos I get worked up about that. Had a couple of days where I have been able to function normally(not in morning) like going shopping and visiting son/ friends and the anticipatory anxiety about doing these things has been mild. Really hope I'm on the right track...trying to stay positive

benji80
10-10-15, 17:42
No idea how these things work but that sounds positive. Know the morning groggy feeling, it takes a few hours before I can function. Feels like I have a little more energy today after a better nights sleep but it's still early days

Lan69
11-10-15, 11:15
I'm trying to keep the faith that my morning anxiety will get lesser and fade in time, it may take a while but I will be able to turn over in my bed and go back to sleep nice and cosy instead of this horrible scared feeling

benji80
11-10-15, 18:52
I see what you mean. Getting some decent sleep is the key. I am starting to lose the faith in the quetiapien as my sleep is still poor. Still just have to keep going and hope for an improvement. Have a doctors appointment on Thursday so if it's still not helping by then, then hopefully the doctor might have a plan b

Lan69
11-10-15, 19:01
I see what you mean. Getting some decent sleep is the key. I am starting to lose the faith in the quetiapien as my sleep is still poor. Still just have to keep going and hope for an improvement. Have a doctors appointment on Thursday so if it's still not helping by then, then hopefully the doctor might have a plan b

Remind me what dosages your on, my memory is shocking sorry

benji80
12-10-15, 08:45
25mg. Had another bad nights sleep. Going to the doctors this morning, had enough of feeling like this. I know I have an appointment for thursday but I have been on it for a week now and I don't feel much improvement.

Lan69
12-10-15, 09:14
That's a really low dose, I'm on 200mg. I can go to sleep fine I just wake up early ( it's still dark !) but I'm averaging 6 hours a night so I shouldn't complain.

benji80
12-10-15, 09:46
I have the same problem of waking up early. Sometimes I can get back to sleep for a little bit but am not getting a decent nights sleep. Then there is the groggy feeling where I don't feel like I slept at all. Sometimes I pick up a little later on. Getting fed up of this. How are you today?

Lan69
12-10-15, 09:57
I'm not too bad, the physical symptoms are much lesser I just have to try retrain my brain and stop the inward thinking. Once I'm awake I have to get up cos I just lie there filled with fear. Once I take my tablets I seem to settle down

benji80
12-10-15, 18:25
Couldn't you get something like cbt to help retrain your brain todeal with the morning anxiety? Just a thought. Was a waste of time going to the doctors. Was
told I have to give it two weeks. My appointment for thursday was rearranged for next week so just have to muddle along and hope for the best.http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/smilies/mad.gif

Lan69
13-10-15, 17:35
I had abt 7 sessions ofCBT before but I was discharged as I was too unwell to do it. I'm in a better place in my head now so may ask about restarting it when I next see psychiatrist but I'm not sure if I can have it if I'm under the care of the community treatment team.
My CPN came today and is very pleased with my progress, I asked if he thought psychiatrist would be trying to reduce any of my meds when I see her but he reckons she won't as I'm doing well so I'm pleased about that

benji80
13-10-15, 19:57
Can't harm to ask, I am on the waiting list for cbt so hopefully someday soon. Wouldn't make any sense to reduce any of your meds if they are helping

Lan69
14-10-15, 09:10
I sometimes think I need to see a psychologist just to talk out all my worries and thoughts, I might ask about seeing one as I'm sure they mentioned it when I was first discharged

MyNameIsTerry
14-10-15, 09:15
Those teams are were we are escalated up to after we've had CBT as they are multidisciplined and use a variety of psychotherapy methods. So, if CBT is best, I'm sure they will offer it but they have th ability to offer intergrated forms of therapy unlike many of the CBT therapists in the services we see before we get to this level.

Lan69
16-10-15, 17:40
Feeling a bit down today after having a few good days. I feel like I'm in a world of my own and can't be bothered to do anything about it. I had a nap this afternoon something Iv never done for months and I feel worse for it. Woke up feeling like I do on a morning so I won't be doing that again.
I've managed to do a few things this week that I couldn't of done 2 weeks ago even, shopping, lunch with a friend and coffee with a work friend. That's my next goal....returning to work. Looking into my options but really need a meeting with my line manager which I'm not looking forward to as she's not very understanding or supportive. I'm thinking of reducing my hours my contract is for 37.5 hours and includes long days (8am-9pm) which I think is currently too long for me. I was thinking of resigning back in the summer but I'm glad I didn't now

23tana
16-10-15, 18:25
Hi. I've seen my psych today. I was on aripiprazole, but after problems, she's taken me off it immediately and I'm to replace it with 75mg quetiapine as of tonight. I'm rather nervous about going straight in at that dose. I've read all this thread (thank you) and hope it doesn't zonk me out tomorrow. I'm on my own all weekend so don't know if I should wait until Monday.
Any comments please?

Lan69
16-10-15, 19:14
Hi. I've seen my psych today. I was on aripiprazole, but after problems, she's taken me off it immediately and I'm to replace it with 75mg quetiapine as of tonight. I'm rather nervous about going straight in at that dose. I've read all this thread (thank you) and hope it doesn't zonk me out tomorrow. I'm on my own all weekend so don't know if I should wait until Monday.
Any comments please?

I was started on a low dose but increased very quickly to my full dose of 200mg over 3 days. I didn't start to feel drowsy till reached the 200mg and that was mainly on a morning but now Iv split my morning dose to 50mg the drowsiness is a lot less.
Give it a try, I know taking new meds is terrifying ....I never slept the first night as I was on high alert waiting for something to happen, but you know what nothing did

Lilac58
16-10-15, 19:39
Hi Lan69, great that you have been able to do some things that were difficult before. Glad quetiapine is working for you, taking new medication is a leap in the dark.

Do you have an occupational health service where you work? They helped me so much in return to work, managers have to accept what they advise, staged return when you are ready etc.

Lan69
17-10-15, 10:12
Hi lilac
Yeah new meds are really scary, wondering what they will do to you
I do have an occ health and I also have an advocate and a CPN who are going to support me going back to work when I'm ready. Somedays I feel yeah I could go to work the way I'm feeling today then another day I feel like I can't do it. Gues I need more times and not rush it. I do feel bored somedays and know work would help and the reason I want to go back before end of year is that I will loose over 3 weeks holiday

23tana
17-10-15, 13:22
Well I bit the bullet last night. Instead of the 75mg prescribed, I took 50mg quetiapine. I slept from 8 pm until noon today! Otherwise no side effects so I'll take the 75mg tonight. I hope I'm not going to sleep half the day away every day.

Lan69 as people say on here so often, the anticipatory anxiety is the worst. With the support you have I'm sure you'll be fine when you do decide the time is right for you to go back to work. Good luck :)

Lan69
17-10-15, 13:37
Well I bit the bullet last night. Instead of the 75mg prescribed, I took 50mg quetiapine. I slept from 8 pm until noon today! Otherwise no side effects so I'll take the 75mg tonight. I hope I'm not going to sleep half the day away every day.

Lan69 as people say on here so often, the anticipatory anxiety is the worst. With the support you have I'm sure you'll be fine when you do decide the time is right for you to go back to work. Good luck :)

Thank you
They never had that affect in me I still manage about 6-7 hours sleep, I'm up between 7am and 8am every day. The drowsiness has lessened a lot but my doses are spread out 3x a day.
My returning back to work is my main worry now, I no longer obsess about my medication like I used too. Anticipatory anxiety is worse than the event itself I have found out but I still get it, hopefully it will lessen in time

MyNameIsTerry
18-10-15, 07:09

Thats good news :yesyes: You've had a pretty difficult time recently, which I was glad to hear turned out to be correctable :yahoo:, so it's nice you are having some luck with this. Hopefully it will help you move forwards. I think with all these meds, they hit you very quickly if they are going to in terms of side effects so thats a really good indicator for you.

Lan69
18-10-15, 09:48
Thats good news :yesyes: You've had a pretty difficult time recently, which I was glad to hear turned out to be correctable :yahoo:, so it's nice you are having some luck with this. Hopefully it will help you move forwards. I think with all these meds, they hit you very quickly if they are going to in terms of side effects so thats a really good indicator for you.

Yeah thank you I'm seeing good improvements just need to get on top if this morning anxiety. It's like going back to square one every morning but I know I get better as the day goes on I just need confidence in myself

23tana
18-10-15, 14:27
I took the full 75mg dose last night and again slept from 8pm to noon. I hope this will only happen for a few days as I catch up on missed sleep. I don't feel any other side effects.

I hope your anxiety lessens Lan69.

pulisa
18-10-15, 17:34
I can't believe that prescribed medication caused your symptoms of Parkinson's and nobody medical twigged, 23tana?! Just think what you have been through mentally...Glad that you are finally getting some- albeit aided-but much needed sleep.

23tana
18-10-15, 19:27
I know pulisa. I'm furious I wasn't informed of the risks or better monitored. I'm considering trying for compensation - not that that will give me back my health. The trouble is my anxiety holds me back from going in for a fight.

pulisa
18-10-15, 20:11
I think your treatment has been appalling. You have been put through unnecessary tests and mental trauma over many weeks when a possible/probable connection between meds and symptoms should have been picked up quickly by any decent medic.

Challenging any large organisation is not easy and I understand your fears. I think you've got a very valid reason to claim for compensation but fighting for justice will be an exhausting process and you would need as much support as possible behind you. It's a hard decision to make.

MyNameIsTerry
19-10-15, 05:51
I agree with pulisa, what they put you through is shocking and if it weren't for an anxiety disorder I think any of us would be raising hell about it. They should be ruling all that crap out first, not testing "just in case" and then coming back to it. I can understand the need for a test to be safe now on top of a suspected side effect from your meds but not instead of!

There are advocacy services, maybe they can help? I know what you mean because I had a big fight with my employer and decided to walk away rather than spend any more time after 18 months and bringing in solicitors BUT I went through at a really really bad time and whilst it definately did contribute and prolong my anxiety, I did handle it and come out the other side so it's not all bad. I hope you find the strength to go after them but if not, don't feel bad either as it's an unpleasant thing on top- of how you already feel and we would certainly all understand it.

Lan69
19-10-15, 21:50
Well tomorrow will be a big test for me ....the cinema
Never been for ages and I struggled with it when well, makes me feel like I'm trapped and having to sit in the seat for a couple of hours will test my agitation
I hope I'm not setting myself up for a fall !

23tana
20-10-15, 02:24
Good luck Lan69. I hope you have a great time :)

Lan69
20-10-15, 09:53
Change of plan, not going today I don't think I'm ready and don't want to knock myself back by failing so it is postponed for now. Still going to go out but not sure where yet

pulisa
20-10-15, 19:54
I don't blame you. Sitting still for 2 hours is a horrible experience with agitation-it's unbearable. You did the right thing-there's always another time when you are feeling a bit calmer

Lan69
21-10-15, 08:47
I managed to go out for lunch and have a look round a few shops. My anxiety is rather high this morning, woke up with churning stomach and my breathing felt really dodgy. I thought the physical symptoms had lessened so I'm a bit concerned about this, feel like I did a few weeks ago....I hope it's just a blip. Sitting scared and it being pitch black outside is awful felt really lonely and worried about my family especially my sons. My mood has dipped over last couple of days too...

Lan69
22-10-15, 09:44
Well I will have been on my med concoction for 4 weeks on Saturday. See my psychiatrist next week for a check up and see if she wants to tweak anything. I shall tell her this waking up early scared is making me worse, I wish I could take something so I could sleep longer but I can't see that happening. Am I going to wake up scared every morning for the rest of my life ? I don't think I will feel 'normal' till this goes.
Saw my CPN yesterday and he says it's still early days for my meds and guve them more time and not to think about going back to work until the new year

Lan69
23-10-15, 08:46
Having an awful morning
Must of woke up abt 5.30 pitch black outside, the physical symptoms have returned. Churning stomach, palpatations, couldn't seem to control my breathing really scared. I don't understand what's going on as I thought things were getting better. Hope my psychiatrist has some answers for me when I see her, I feel like I'm going backwards. I know my pregablin dose can be increased but I'm not sure about the quetiapine.
I'm quite concerned about the clocks going back too, the thought of waking up earlier really scares me. I have a couple of zoplicone left so I may take one and hopefully I will sleep a bit longer

Lan69
24-10-15, 10:19
Had an idea yesterday, I really hate these dark mornings so I thought if I go to bed later I will wake up later and it might be lighter outside
So last night I took my tablets at 11 instead of 9 and didn't go to bed till 1am. Woke up about 7.30ish with my usual anxiety symptoms but they didn't feel so intense cos it was light outside.
So tonight the clocks go back so I will try do the same again and will also take a zoplicone in the hope that I manage to sleep a bit longer.
I'm starting to worry now that the tablets aren't working and this may mean withdrawals and introducing new ones. My anxiety must be extreme if I'm on 3 diff tablets and they can't dampen down this morning anxiety !

MyNameIsTerry
24-10-15, 10:49
I've had that issue with the clock changes over the years. I would also find myself struggling with the darker nights, get used to them and then worry about the lighter mornings coming back! I think this is a change & uncertainty thing, the inability to control something in your environment when you are trying to control as many things as possible so as not to allow any more possible symptoms or intensification.

I also have many battles with adjusting my sleep patterns and for a long time I was afraid of waking up early or getting up early. It's easier now because I have managed to work it through in my head so that fear has greatly subsided and it's now more about adjusting the pattern itself with all the fatigue I suffer from.

Try to remember that no matter what happens, it's just that day and it doesn't mean it will keep happening. It's not a pattern until it's a pattern. Until them it's just blips and one-offs, bumps in the road. If it's dark early on, remember it doesn't last and soon you will feel better and apply this to struggling when waking as you feel better when you get going and shake off the fatigue.

pulisa
24-10-15, 11:35
Lan, you are on a lot of medication and in my opinion this gives you more pressure as you are so desperate for it to work and when it doesn't the "what if's" start re withdrawal, new meds, what if they don't work etcetc..

I very much understand the dreaded agitation and how unbearable it is- a world away from anxiety. Is your psychiatrist just loading you up with meds and not really appreciating how distressed you are? It can be so hard getting through the day and night in this state- do you have a CPN? (Sorry if you have already explained your care)

Lan69
24-10-15, 12:50
I've had that issue with the clock changes over the years. I would also find myself struggling with the darker nights, get used to them and then worry about the lighter mornings coming back! I think this is a change & uncertainty thing, the inability to control something in your environment when you are trying to control as many things as possible so as not to allow any more possible symptoms or intensification.

I also have many battles with adjusting my sleep patterns and for a long time I was afraid of waking up early or getting up early. It's easier now because I have managed to work it through in my head so that fear has greatly subsided and it's now more about adjusting the pattern itself with all the fatigue I suffer from.

Try to remember that no matter what happens, it's just that day and it doesn't mean it will keep happening. It's not a pattern until it's a pattern. Until them it's just blips and one-offs, bumps in the road. If it's dark early on, remember it doesn't last and soon you will feel better and apply this to struggling when waking as you feel better when you get going and shake off the fatigue.

Thanks for the advice
That's my fear....of waking early and I really don't know why! When I was working I was always awake and up early and never thought anything about it, so why am I so fearful of them now.
I think I may well be in a pattern or cycle now and don't kniw how to get out of it

---------- Post added at 12:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

Lan, you are on a lot of medication and in my opinion this gives you more pressure as you are so desperate for it to work and when it doesn't the "what if's" start re withdrawal, new meds, what if they don't work etcetc..

I very much understand the dreaded agitation and how unbearable it is- a world away from anxiety. Is your psychiatrist just loading you up with meds and not really appreciating how distressed you are? It can be so hard getting through the day and night in this state- do you have a CPN? (Sorry if you have already explained your care)

Yes I have a CPN who I see once a week and I have a support worker who I haven't started working with yet. I don't think they appreciate how distressing the mornings are, when they visit on an aftèrnoon I'm in a functionable mode by then so they don't witness the scared and lonely woman that I am every morning.
I don't know how to conquer it! I can't do it mentally Iv been trying for months the only answer I can come up with is with medication. Iv tried the relaxation and mindfulness approach but my mental anxiety just won't let me do it! I sometimes wonder if the medication isn't contributing to it cos I'd hate to see the state I would be in if I wasn't on anything

pulisa
24-10-15, 13:31
It's a difficult situation as reducing meds is a gamble if you still feel that they are helping to control your anxiety.

It's a good thing that by the afternoon you are feeling less anxious. Maybe you should ask your CPN to visit one morning? He/she probably thinks you are coping fine as your agitation isn't 24/7?

Lan69
24-10-15, 18:43
I actually think I'm too scared to come off my meds, I don't mind tweaking them a bit, maybe try the quetiapine modified release on a night time and the instant release on a morning and afternoon, hopefully that would keep me on an even level all day. Or I could take my afternoon dose with my evening dose that may help with my waking up anxiety or I might even need an increase ! Lots to discuss with my psychiatrist next week

MyNameIsTerry
25-10-15, 04:42
Anxiety is often worse for many of us in the first half of the day. It always has been for me but it can rise later too if there are pressures. Cortisol is highest at waking, it's why we wake up, and it slowly reduces throughout the day. If this is far too high, it could be a possibility for us suffering more alongside this natural pattern of how cortisol is supposed to work. I've not looked into that much, so it's just a pointer because there are things you can try to reduce it but it's always hit & miss and when you are needed so many meds to bring more severe anxiety down it may take time anyway.

Maybe they can tweak when you take it so that you benefit from more of the dose in the morning?

I think if you tell them this, they will understand. Its a very common documented pattern.

Coming off meds or switching is always a worry because of the potential increase in existing anxiety that they are masking right now, the onset side effects, etc. You just have to be realistic with this and assume it's a possibility BUT more work to reduce your overall anxiety in tackling your anxiety disorder with therapy is likely the best way so you can be stronger in yourself to manage it. I don't envy anyone having to do it and with this many meds in play as I've only tried two with mixed results and stuck with it, bad or good as my GP is a numpty when it comes to antidepressants.

The waking early thing can be allsorts. It can be fear of another day of suffering, fear of the higher anxiety the morning brings people with that pattern (ask people with a PM pattern how much they hate the nights), the feel of pressure from what they need to do or just the unknown, etc. For me it was a combination of a few of these plus with my OCD being more on the severe end it has pushed me into routines that where helpeful at first to move me forward yet became largely unhealthy obsessional patterns later. If you get into a routine you feel you are depending on at some subconscious or conscious level, it's an avoidance issue and it's damn hard to change. It has made me a bit of a hermit as my sleep patterns are more like someone in Australia!

pulisa
25-10-15, 08:38
I think it's very importance to have confidence in your psychiatrist else you could just get loaded up with more and more meds with the resulting side effects. Sometimes less is more effective but it's a question of having the courage to trust your own coping skills or else just dealing with whatever happens.

Lan69
25-10-15, 10:36
I have briefly looked at cortisol levels Terry but think maybe I should look into it more. I remember reading that eating in waking could help reduce the level of cortisol in the body. So does cortisol produce the physical symptoms of anxiety? My stomach seems to be the most annoying symptom. Can you have your cortisol level tested and are there other ways of lowering it ?....very interesting

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 ----------

I think it's very importance to have confidence in your psychiatrist else you could just get loaded up with more and more meds with the resulting side effects. Sometimes less is more effective but it's a question of having the courage to trust your own coping skills or else just dealing with whatever happens.

I've only met her once but I did get a feeling that she understands where I'm coming from if you know what I mean, and I felt confidence she actually knew what she was doing. Regarding my meds I'm defo not adding anything new into the mix I think 3 is more than enough. I don't mind tweaking it a bit so I do her the benefit on a morning

MyNameIsTerry
25-10-15, 11:20
Yes, too much cortisol will keep you anxious. I don't think people notice it in their daily patterns but the problem is, we have elevated cortisol levels anyway due to our anxiety disorders. Cortisol is not only produced by that sleep cycle it is produced along with adrenaline so you can see how there could be an impact from too much of it.

It's worth looking into anyway. I'm looking into some supplements to see if it helps reduce mine but I'm much more stable and not on a cocktail of complicated meds like you are so I wouldn't recommend that but perhaps a bit of reading might help? I've seen that about eating too. I'm wondering what else? I know meditation reduces cortisol levels but it can be hard with anxiety & aggitation as pulisa says but perhaps a movement based form of it like yoga, Tai Chi or Qi Gong might be useful?

I think you can have cortisol levels tested. I've never looked into it. It's not a simple test thought because it varies throughout the day so has to be done in a certain way to prevent missing things. I can't remember now how they do it.

pulisa
25-10-15, 11:45
I don't think that adrenal burnout is recognised on the NHS so I doubt whether cortisol testing would be available and also I wonder how useful it would be?

I think that agitation is one of the harder symptoms to treat. Personally I choose not to take antipsychotics because of the side effects but benzos have always been relatively effective when I've been hospitalised or at my worst. Why can't there be an effective, non-addictive alternative to benzos? So many people would benefit..

MyNameIsTerry
25-10-15, 11:52
You can do it, it might be private though, I've seen it mentioned. Something about needing a control test to rule out natural changes. The tests were more about elevated cortisol though for various reason as opposed to the adrenal fatigue thing. I was reading about that pulisa and it seems the medical world is actually split on it with some doctors arguing it's case so perhaps in the future someone will prove it? Whether it exists or not, we all know how we crash after intensse panic & anxiety so it makes sense to me.

Yes, you know I agree with you on the agitation (which I keep spelling wrong :doh:). I never really had it before this med and it's been a very hard symptom to deal with. I've got a lot more control nowadays but I went through hell with it early on as you know. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to give my GP a slap!

I think things like Pregablin seem to be similiar with them working on GABA. I just don't understand why research hasn't gone as far with GABA receptors as it has with others. There are some versions out there and ones being developed that go into dopamine, glutamate, etc but I can't remember GABA being in the mix. I could be wrong there, and besides anything I read will be out of date anyway with how research moves along.

There are ways to influence GABA with supplements. But it's just going to be a very hit or miss game.

They are some interesting things around about NAC helping with OCD though, the skin picking/hair pulling disorders have some studies behind them showing it works.

Lan69
25-10-15, 18:26
I don't think that adrenal burnout is recognised on the NHS so I doubt whether cortisol testing would be available and also I wonder how useful it would be?

I think that agitation is one of the harder symptoms to treat. Personally I choose not to take antipsychotics because of the side effects but benzos have always been relatively effective when I've been hospitalised or at my worst. Why can't there be an effective, non-addictive alternative to benzos? So many people would benefit..

Oh if only !
Dare I say my agitation has lessened over the last couple of weeks but I'm living in constant fear of it returning. I keep remembering how bad it was when I was in hospital, constant pacing so much I actually skinned my toes, not being able to even sit down and constantly watching the clock ..... Horrid times

pulisa
25-10-15, 18:46
I've been there too, Lan. It's the most excruciatingly agonising place to be, isn't it? I live with a lower level of it now but the fear of a return to that state will stay with me forever, I think.

Lan69
25-10-15, 19:14
Words cannot describe how torturous it is, I must of walked for miles up and down the corridor ...very very dark bad days

MyNameIsTerry
26-10-15, 07:28
Oh yes, I've found it to be one of the worst symptoms. I have it each time with my blips now but not as bad as earlier on in my recovery and certainly nothing like the 8-10 days of total hell when I started the dose where it begins to mess around with adrenaline.

It's a hard one to manage because you can try and burn it of but sitting down just brings it back for me.

Lan69
26-10-15, 09:14
I don't know if I'm having a blip or what but I feel dreadful this morning. Had a rubbish sleep so that won't be helping, my anxiety is high and I feel like I'm in a dream state. The fear of feeling faint is back and I'm even scared to take my dogs out. I've tried relaxing on settee and feel like I'm going to nod off then this awful feeling of dread and panic washes over me...I don't like it. I still have a few 2mg diazapam left and I'm seriously thinking of taking one but I'm scared too
My support worker is coming to visit me this afternoon, so will see what she has to offer. I've never had a support worker before so I'm not really sure what support they give. Also see my psychiatrist tomorrow and I need to get across to her how awful my mornings are

23tana
26-10-15, 09:50
I've been very lucky to start Quetiapine without the problems you are facing Lan69. I did feel anxious and spaced out the first few days and found distraction was the best way through. I'm not good at sitting still - need to be on the move and doing something all the time.

I am agoraphobic and I have a support worker. She takes me out for exposure therapy. We go for a coffee, shopping or a walk in the park. She's very good at giving support when I need it or letting me lead the way when I can. I've been able to go out much more since she started helping me. Our first session we talked about my problems and needs and figured out a plan of what we would do together. That's probably what will happen on your first meeting with your support worker. Good luck.

Lan69
26-10-15, 10:22
I've been very lucky to start Quetiapine without the problems you are facing Lan69. I did feel anxious and spaced out the first few days and found distraction was the best way through. I'm not good at sitting still - need to be on the move and doing something all the time.

I am agoraphobic and I have a support worker. She takes me out for exposure therapy. We go for a coffee, shopping or a walk in the park. She's very good at giving support when I need it or letting me lead the way when I can. I've been able to go out much more since she started helping me. Our first session we talked about my problems and needs and figured out a plan of what we would do together. That's probably what will happen on your first meeting with your support worker. Good luck.

I'm not having any side effects it's mainly this morning anxiety that causing all the problems. Some mornings it wears off quickly and other days it hangs around all day. When I feel ok I can get out and about and do what I need to do but when my anxiety is high I become agoraphobic and struggle to leave the house. I think I need help to socialise, why world seems too have shrunk from having a good social life to just having my son and a relative who has been amazingly supportive. I also need help with mornings but I don't know how anything will help with that, the only thing that slightly helps is if I've had a zoplicone the night before or when I was in hospital the diazapam but they won't prescribe them anymore.
I maybe need to join some group or start some activity I enjoy the trouble is I don't have any idea what. My days are all the same I need to be part of the world again and stop hiding from it
Have you been on quetiapine long ? And also what dose are you on ?

MrAndy
26-10-15, 10:47
I've been on both olanzapine and quetiapine and found olanzapine far better

Lan69
26-10-15, 10:50
I've been on both olanzapine and quetiapine and found olanzapine far better

Was that for anxiety ? I don't know if I need more time or throw the towel in on it. It's not the miraculous med I was led to believe it was

MrAndy
26-10-15, 11:10
Yes I was in hospital with anxiety and they put me on a low dose,toget an antiphyschotic effect you need to be on at least 150mg
You can be on a low dose of olanzapine and it works very well with no side effects except for weight gain
I'm currently tapering off after being on it for nearly three years

Lan69
26-10-15, 11:56
Yes I was in hospital with anxiety and they put me on a low dose,toget an antiphyschotic effect you need to be on at least 150mg
You can be on a low dose of olanzapine and it works very well with no side effects except for weight gain
I'm currently tapering off after being on it for nearly three years

That's good news
I was hospitalised twice this year with anxiety. They started me on mirtazapine the first time and introduced pregablin on my second admission. Quetiapine was added by the crisis team psychiatrist(200mg). She reckoned my anxiety would go very quickly but it's still hanging in there. See my community team psychiatrist tomorrow so will see if she has anymore ideas. I really need this morning anxiety to go, I can't deal with it and it's affecting my mood now. I may mention olanzapine

MrAndy
26-10-15, 12:02
The tablets only do so much and will never be a miracle cure
Cbt really helped me a lot,I was also admitted twice nearly three years ago now I'm almost fully recovered but still have the occasional bad day
You have hang in there and be very patient

Lan69
26-10-15, 12:16
The tablets only do so much and will never be a miracle cure
Cbt really helped me a lot,I was also admitted twice nearly three years ago now I'm almost fully recovered but still have the occasional bad day
You have hang in there and be very patient

I did have cbt but was discharged after about 7 sessions as it wasn't helping. Iv read books about it and understand how it works but on a morning I'm woke by waves of anxiety and feelings of dread and my head isn't in the right place to practice, I think if the morning anxiety could be lessened I may have a fighting chance. It's now getting to the point I'm scared to go to bed on a night cos I know what's waiting in the morning !

MrAndy
26-10-15, 12:46
Afraid to saying morning anxiety is usually the last thing to go

Lan69
26-10-15, 12:50
I just need to know it will go, the thought of waking up like this for the rest of my life terrifies me

MrAndy
26-10-15, 12:53
Its gone for me but took a long long time

Lan69
26-10-15, 13:21
I look forward to when mine is gone, I'm taking all these tablets and nothing is working. I never slept well last night and it's making my anxiety higher today. I think I need a horse tranquilliser to knock me out lol

MrAndy
26-10-15, 13:25
The sleep will improve naturally but again it takes time
I had severe insomnia but kept calm about and got over it

Lan69
26-10-15, 14:00
That's probably where I'm going wrong, I get worked up over it and start to worry so end up making things worse
It's good to hear from people who have been there and have come out the other side

MrAndy
26-10-15, 15:31
Most people come on here thinking its a life sentence but I can tell you from experience its not.its a hard long slog to recovery but its 100% possible

Lan69
26-10-15, 15:44
I believe you
I've recovered in the past it's just this time that I'm finding it really hard. The last times I was started on AD's and was back to work and my life in a couple of weeks but not this time

MrAndy
26-10-15, 17:25
I went back to work 3 weeks after my 1st hospital admission then had a second total breakdown
I think the key is to let recovery find you and to not get impatient ,I used to say to myself I don't care if it takes five years as long as it comes one day.it did and I'm grateful for being patient

Lan69
26-10-15, 17:34
That's a good way of looking at it
I need to take a step back and put things in perspective and not worry about time. I also need to be more positive and remember recovery will happen and trying to hurry it won't help, it takes as long as it takes
Thank you for that

MrAndy
26-10-15, 17:39
A big mistake I see on here every day is people counting the days and weeks they have been on medication,it doesn't help at all it just adds to the frustration of being ill
I am well enough to now come off mine and plan to do it over the next 12 months,no rush what's the point
Good luck with your recovery at some point you will find peace

Lan69
26-10-15, 17:49
I was one of those but I've stopped doing it now, I was practically counting the days at one point !
Thank you for your messages today they have helped a lot and have me hope

pulisa
26-10-15, 17:55
As Mr Andy says, the more impatient and angry you become, the worse your agitation will be and I'm not sure that any pills would be good enough to work for you.. It's actually your mindset which is working against you and your fear of going back to those dark hospital days.

You're fortunate in that you have a CPN and support worker to work with you towards recovery. You're not alone. I really wish you well and am sure that you'll get to that better place in time.

Lan69
26-10-15, 18:18
As Mr Andy says, the more impatient and angry you become, the worse your agitation will be and I'm not sure that any pills would be good enough to work for you.. It's actually your mindset which is working against you and your fear of going back to those dark hospital days.

You're fortunate in that you have a CPN and support worker to work with you towards recovery. You're not alone. I really wish you well and am sure that you'll get to that better place in time.

Thank you
I think the fear of going back to hospital is at the back of my mind. It also doesn't help that my son is in the same hospital so having to go visit him brings it all back and he's going through a bad time at the moment which is adding to my anxiety.
I should really focus on the positives and how much better I am compared to a couple of months ago when I couldn't leave my bed and was surviving on 3 hours sleep. My mindset is in a bad place and I need to try rectify it

pulisa
26-10-15, 19:39
I'm not surprised that you are feeling so agitated with having to visit your son where all those bad memories are and with having to cope with his difficulties. I know it's easy for me to say but try not to anticipate waking up early full of angst? Sometimes it can be a self-fulfilling prophesy..

Try and be kinder to yourself and treat yourself with respect as opposed to frustration and fear. The memories of hospital are still very new and it will take a while before you trust yourself again and don't continually fear re-admission.

Lan69
26-10-15, 19:51
I fear I'm in a cycle now tho, some nights I'm scared to go to bed cos I'm scared of the waking up anxiety. I know it can't harm me but the feelings are awful and waking up at 5/6 ish is soul destroying. I've even contimplated talking half of one of my zoplicone to see if I can get another couple of hours but I'm scared too, I'm such a wuss. I'm hoping I can explain it all to my psychiatrist tomorrow so she will understand and not fob me off. I've woke up like this since march you would think I would be used to it by now

MrAndy
26-10-15, 20:43
I overcame sleep insomnia but still wake bang on 5 every morning ,I just had to accept that's all the sleep I need and it no longer bothers me.Acceptence is a massive part of helping you recover,I used to feel the same way about sleep and the morning anxiety as you
I learnt to accept I would only get 3 to 4 hours sleep a night and slowly I started to sleep more and more
It took me a few years to stop worrying about being readmitted to hospital but to be honest that's quite a normal worry and nothing to do with anxiety.With your son being ill you have a lot on your plate,try and set some time aside just for yourself and do something you enjoy.I used to go for an hours walk every day and it really helped me burn off the anxiety
Post your thoughts and frustrations on here if it helps you get things off your chest

pulisa
26-10-15, 20:59
Personally I think it's pretty normal to wake up between 5 and 6 am. I've done so for decades. I think it's the prospect of a gaping morning to endure which causes you so much anxiety when you know you will experience your most dreaded symptoms. Is there any way you could introduce a bit of structure into your mornings so that you could take things hour by hour until you reach the pm? If you are able to leave the house an hour-long daily walk may help clear your head and just get you away from your home environment for a short while?

MrAndy
26-10-15, 21:04
I quickly learnt lying in bed trying to get more sleep just made me more anxious and agitated,I just get up now and make a cup of tea and take my time drinking it
A good old cuppa solves many problems :)

pulisa
26-10-15, 21:10
I quickly learnt lying in bed trying to get more sleep just made me more anxious and agitated,I just get up now and make a cup of tea and take my time drinking it
A good old cuppa solves many problems :)

I'm straight into making porridge from scratch for my OH and feeding the guinea pigs:D

Lan69
26-10-15, 22:27
I do try to stay in bed as long as I possibly can trying to put it off maybe I should just get up straight away regardless of the time. I do the same things every morning lots if cups if tea and too many cigs, I take my dogs out once it's light enough and depending how I feel to how long we are out. I should be grateful I can watch the TV on a morning now, when I was really bad I couldn't concentrate to watch it and it annoyed me.
I went for a brisk walk/ jog tonight, I didn't jog much and I was only out 20 mins but I feel quite proud of myself that I done it. I was knackered when I got back lol but I will try to do it a few nights a week it may improve my sleep. I'm going to try from tomorrow morning not to get so worked up about what time I get up and just go with the flow for now
This may sound awful but knowing I'm not the only one who struggles with mornings makes me feel less lonely if you know what I mean

MrAndy
27-10-15, 08:29
This may sound awful but knowing I'm not the only one who struggles with mornings makes me feel less lonely if you know what I mean
its not awful,i would say the majority of people with anxiety suffer with sleep and the anxiety spikes in the morning
how did you sleep last night ? are you taking any magnesium before bed time that helps with relaxation and sleep

---------- Post added at 08:29 ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 ----------

I'm straight into making porridge from scratch for my OH and feeding the guinea pigs:D
i love porridge :yesyes:

Lan69
27-10-15, 08:38
Woke up abt 5.30ish, anxious in the mind but the physical symptoms were mild. Decided to get up and was constantly scanning myself for signs made myself a cup of tea had a ciggie and they arrived, churning stomach, shallow breathing so I'm thinking I brought this on myself. Managed not to reach for my tablets till 7 am normally I take them as soon as I get up.
So I've had 2 cups of tea, too many ciggies and I'm now drinking coffee(decaf) after having the dogs out. I'm seeing my psychiatrist this afternoon and I'm feeling anxious about that, need to remember to ask about seeing a psychologist as I think I need to offload on somebody...get these worries and thoughts out of my head

---------- Post added at 08:38 ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 ----------

its not awful,i would say the majority of people with anxiety suffer with sleep and the anxiety spikes in the morning
how did you sleep last night ? are you taking any magnesium before bed time that helps with relaxation and sleep

---------- Post added at 08:29 ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 ----------

i love porridge :yesyes:

Had some hot milk and fell asleep listening to my audio book and woke up with my headphone digging in my ear ! I think I had about 5-51/2 hours, this is all my body needs I think as I don't feel tired today
Is it safe to take magnesium with my tablets? I'm always scared of interactions

MrAndy
27-10-15, 08:52
ive took magnesium ever since ive been on medication and never had a problem

Lan69
27-10-15, 09:01
May I ask what brand and does it help?
Do you take anything else ?

MrAndy
27-10-15, 09:07
I use zma from here http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/zma/10529452.html
I used to take fish oil but it did nothing for me and I like to keep things simple so dont like taking lots of tablets

Lan69
27-10-15, 09:11
I have a few things in my cupboard but don't take them
Vit d
Omega fish oil
Vit b complex
Inisitol
I don't like taking too many tablets and I'm already on quite a cocktail of prescribed tablets

MyNameIsTerry
27-10-15, 09:39
Magnesium is an essential mineral, you need it to live hence getting it from food. But yes it can mean checking interactions with many things, especially herbals as some interact, but you will be safe with magnesium.

Didn't I post you some threads about it on your aching joints thread on the Mirt board? If so, it's worth a read as people on those were discussing the best forms to take. Some you should avoid like citrate as it's mainly intended as a laxative so going above a certain dose can bring those effects. The same with oxide really because the minute it hits the water in your stomach it turns to Milk of Magnesia. The transdermal (topical) ones avoid any stomach upset as it absorbs through your skin. Ionic is also good for absorption but expensive in the UK and cheaper to import as it's available cheaper than the threshold for tax & Duty. Transdermal you can get in Tesco and many other places in the form of an oil spray or bath flakes (some brands do creams too).

Lan69
27-10-15, 10:02
I don't want one that acts as a laxative, I have toilet problems every morning as it is
So the spray from tesco sounds interesting but excuse my ignorance but where do you spray it ? I don't have a tesco near me is there anything similar I could order online or a tablet form that won't give me the runs
My brain isn't working as well as it used too so I need laymans terms so I understand or just a good recommended one to purchase

MrAndy
27-10-15, 10:06
I take two of these every night and its never given me the runs,read the reviews people say its good for sleep
http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/zma/10529452.html

Lan69
27-10-15, 10:08
I take two of these every night and its never given me the runs,read the reviews people say its good for sleep
http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/zma/10529452.html

It's quite expensive isn't it, but if it works I don't mind the price . I'd pay anything for a good long relaxing deep sleep

MrAndy
27-10-15, 10:10
thats actually cheap for 270 tablets ,they will last for ages

Lan69
27-10-15, 10:16
thats actually cheap for 270 tablets ,they will last for ages

So you take 2 every night ?
I'm very intrigued in this now, did it take long for you to notice any difference ? I'm terrible if I don't see quick results I give up and it's pushed to the back of the cupboard

23tana
27-10-15, 10:56
I take 3 x 25mg tabs at night (total 75mg). I found that they worked for me within a week. I'm sleeping better and my head feels clearer. I am more constipated but that is all that I have noticed in the way of side effects.

Stick with it. :)

MrAndy
27-10-15, 11:25
I noticed deeper sleep straight away,I take two tabs but you can take more

MyNameIsTerry
27-10-15, 11:48
If you are ordering online they are much cheaper than in places like Tesco. I remember checking one of the BetterYou products they stocked against Amazon and it was £5 cheaper online. Amazon is a good place to look with the product reviews. With the oil you can spray if anywhere. If you spray it on an area that is magnesium deficient it will be sting for around 30 minutes. It doesn't hurt though. But don't make my mistake and spray it over a cut... It's a form of salt (that was a bit more painful for an hour!) If you worry about stinging just spray it on your feet as that won't sting for some reason (it's what the experts recommend to avoid it) but really you want to spray it on larger areas because the larger the area the more easily absorbed like any liquid.

They last quite a while. They are greasy but you can wash them off after 20 minutes. Just punch transdermal magnesium into the search on Amazon and they will pop up. The cheapest one I could find when I restocked a few months ago was Life Flo. It was cheapest on Amazon after I checked through Ebay and a load of Google searching (I'm trying to keep costs down) You can actually make your own from the bath flakes which should be cheaper but perhaps this is for if you see it helping? SADNoMore has posted a link did that I can give you but there are loads online for doing it, it's easy to do.

I've found it had really helped with my joint problems. The difference is noticeable after I use it.

I don't know the best way to use it for anxiety to be honest but it should be ferried to wherever the body needs it.

Interestingly, stress causes magnesium to be leached from the bones hence supplementation seems a good strategy for all of us. Meds can impact on magnesium too by reducing it.

Lan69
27-10-15, 13:20
I've just looked on amazon there's a better you magnesium oil goodnight spray for £8.65, has a few good reviews too so might give it a try it might help my aching back and knees too
Saw psychiatrist she wants me to up the pregablin by 50mg a week until I'm on 450 mg a day. Apparently there's a problem about seeing the psychologist something to do with me being reassessed but she hopes to have it sorted when I see her again in 5 weeks.

MyNameIsTerry
28-10-15, 07:18
That's a good price. I pay about that for approx 270ml of whatever brand I can find is the cheapest. BetterYou is a good brand for them.

Lan69
28-10-15, 08:26
Well I've ordered some but I'm quite tempted to nip to boots to see what they have on offer.
Had a rubbish sleep last night so feeling very anxious today. Been up since about 4.30 so it's going to be a really long day !

MyNameIsTerry
28-10-15, 08:42
They might sell them anyway as they seem to be one of the most popular brands for transdermal. The best is Ancient Minerals and it's reflected in the higher price!

Magnesium tablets are everywhere. Citrate and Oxide are the common and the cheapest but be careful with the dose. WebMD states the dose where citrate starts impacting on your bowels, not sure on oxide.

If you have a Holland & Barrett or a health shop, they will have a better range. H&B do some decent two for one deals or second one for a penny a lot of the time and their people are trained on supplements so can help more.

Lan69
28-10-15, 08:51
I do have a holland and Barrett not too far away. So it's best to avoid the oxide and the citrate ?
Had a look on their website they have quite a collection to choose from how on earth does one choose
Most of them seem to have calcium and zinc with them.
I'm tempted to try the flakes

MrAndy
28-10-15, 09:34
I do have a holland and Barrett not too far away. So it's best to avoid the oxide and the citrate ?
Had a look on their website they have quite a collection to choose from how on earth does one choose
Most of them seem to have calcium and zinc with them.
I'm tempted to try the flakes
This is cheap http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/zinc-and-magnesium/10529513.html
Holland and Barrett will be expensive,zinc is added to help the body absorb the magnesium

Lan69
28-10-15, 12:11
This is cheap http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/zinc-and-magnesium/10529513.html
Holland and Barrett will be expensive,zinc is added to help the body absorb the magnesium

That's look good I think I will have to invest in some
Cheers MrAndy

MyNameIsTerry
28-10-15, 12:32
The better absorbed ones are the "chelated" ones which just means they have been bound to an amino acid to change how they are absorbed. Amino acids are well absorbed as opposed to magnesium on it's own because it's a salt mineral and the body struggles to absorb minerals like salts.

Transdermal is magnesium hydrochloride which is well absorbed. Another well absorbed form is ionic which means it is very small in structure so passes more easily through cell walls and relies less on your GI system but it's not as available in the UK.

Oxide will turn into Milk of Magnesia when it hits the water in your stomach and it will do what that stuff does in trying to help your digestion as opposed to heading for your brain. Citrate can do both but you have to stay under the laxative dose otherwise it will affect your bowels and under this dose may not be enough hence it's tricky.

I think there is one called orotate that is absorbed better than citrate.

There is a trick with magnesium - it may say 500mg but that's 500 of the supplement NOT the magnesium. Within that 500mg you have "elemental magnesium" which is the true value of what you will get at maximum. If my memory serves me it has to do with molecular weight and how some are heavier than others. Ultimately you won't get all of that since the body isn't 100% efficient at digesting or absorbing although the skin is pretty good hence which the transdermal version, magnesium hydrochloride is so popular.

They don't have to print the elemental magnesium value, they do in some countries like Canada, but some do print it on the bottle or in the ads. It makes the issue complicated with the non chelated ones really but the transdermal should be ok as it's water/oil and not dry mass. If you go chelated you will also be getting some of that amino acid so be perhaps way of ones bound to glutamine, if they exist, as that can convert into glutamate which is the biggest excitory neurotransmitter so you probably don't want to supplement that on top of what you get in your diet. Taurate seems good but it's less common so more expensive since that is chelated to Taurine which can convert into GABA which is the inhibitory neurotransmitter that calms us down (its what Benzodiazapenes interact with) but it may not have that affect as Taurine is used throughout the body for many things. I think there is a leucine version which should be safe and a glycine version. Glycine is another neurotransmitter but I know less about that one although I don't think it's a major contributor.

Lan69
29-10-15, 08:40
Wow terry you really know your stuff I'm very impressed
I'm looking forward to my oil coming and trying it out, I just hope it helps

MyNameIsTerry
30-10-15, 08:53
Thanks, I'm still trying to work some of it out but I found it all a bit confusing in terms of what was best to try so did a bit of Googling around other forums to see what others were finding out and went from there. I'll have to put a thread together at some point because I think a lot of us will get stung by the "500mg is not 500mg of magnesium" issue which was a new one on me. The chelated made perfect sense but I used to life weights so I'm used to spending loads of time reading about supplements as those guys & girls tend to.

Lan69
30-10-15, 09:43
I was given some magnesium tablets off a friend to try while I'm waiting for my oil. They are 250mg and it says to take 1 a day. Have taken them for 2 nights and can't say they have done anything yet, I suppose they are like everything else 'wait and see'.

23tana
30-10-15, 16:11
4 weeks on the quetiapine now. I feel fine except for constant hunger and grinding teeth. I'm smoking more to stop me eating and I've still put on weight. My jaw aches from me clenching my teeth to stop the grinding. Does this end?

pulisa
30-10-15, 16:28
Does your anxiety improve on quetiapine? Is it worth the weight gain and grinding teeth? You don't sound that convinced that this drug is worth the side effects? It's hard to know what is the best option, isn't it?

23tana
30-10-15, 16:34
I take it for Parkinsonism and hallucinations. I am better on it, it's just that the side effects are annoying. Hopefully I'll only be on it short term until the drug induced Parkinsonism passes.

pulisa
30-10-15, 16:39
I hope you can come off it as soon as possible and that the side effects die down. You've had such a lot to endure thanks to dodgy medication.

23tana
30-10-15, 16:40
Thanks pulisa

Lan69
30-10-15, 16:46
I've been on it about 5 weeks now. Iv not had no clenching jaw, it sounds awful, I do have the munchies and I know Iv put weight on and it does bother me but as long as I can function and get out of house I'm willing to put up with it. My sleep is still poor and the morning anxiety is awful but I'm praying these will get better in time

MyNameIsTerry
31-10-15, 06:53
4 weeks on the quetiapine now. I feel fine except for constant hunger and grinding teeth. I'm smoking more to stop me eating and I've still put on weight. My jaw aches from me clenching my teeth to stop the grinding. Does this end?

I had 6 months of night grinding when I went on Duloxetine, but it wasn't always bad. My dentist spotted it at a check up when I mentioned some jaw ache. He found my muscles were enlarged and I had some evidence of grinding on my back teeth.

He told me to eat softer foods for a while and use this exercise before bed:

1. With mouth closed, touch tongue to roof of mouth.
2. Open mouth wide whike keeping tongue in place.
3. Close & repeat.

I found this did help. He said it would relax the muscles. In the end it got to a point where it wasn't doing any more for me and I found a combination of this as paracetamol before bed did the trick (and reducing overall anxiety levels).

I have a thread about referred pain with a guide in it using trigger point massage. There are some exercises in their for jaw pain:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=169782

23tana
31-10-15, 10:21
Thanks Terry. I'll try that

Lan69
01-11-15, 10:49
Tried my oil last night, fell asleep abt 12.30 on settee don't know what time I dragged myself to bed but woke up to sunshine (8.30) and not darkness.... So much better than waking up to darkness at 5.30/6. Was it the magnesium or the increase in pregablin ? ....long may it continue tho

MyNameIsTerry
01-11-15, 11:15
Thats good to hear, Lan.

When did you up the Preg?

Have you found your anxiety reduced this morning with you getting up later? I'm just curious as I know you've said you struggle very badly until the afternoon.

Lan69
01-11-15, 11:26
I upped my pregablin on tues to 350mg (50mg increase) and started 400mg on Friday so feeling slightly stoned today. The physical symptoms seem lesser this morning but I have a couple of stresses at the moment which aren't helping with mental anxiety

MyNameIsTerry
01-11-15, 11:43
Then I think wait and see. It could be a bit of both but like you say, long may it continue!

It would be worth talking to hanshan and SmilingAlbert about Preg and how they got their doses right but it's early days on the new dose. I've seen hanshan talk about how a certain dose range seems to work better for people that this med helps.

Lan69
01-11-15, 12:03
My psychiatrist wants me on 450mg but I know it can go up to 600mg, I think that is what hanshan is on. Going to give the 450mg a good go and hopefully when I next see psychiatrist(dec) I'm in a better place and more stable. She seems more for the pregablin than the quetiapine. Looking forward to trying the oil again tonight and hoping today just wasn't a fluke

Lan69
07-11-15, 11:43
Day 4 of my increase
First 2 days fell asleep in the afternoon for an hour or so and felt 'stoned' feeling again. I slept at night too and managed about 6.5/ 7 hours. Could be due to the increase or the magnesium
Still anxious every morning so might have to look at changing the times I take my meds or change the dosages throught out the day so I'm taking a higher dose at night, this may help eleviate the morning anxiety

MrAndy
07-11-15, 12:08
Keep plugging away and remember to stay positive ,all this will pass in time

Lan69
07-11-15, 12:16
Thank you MrAndy
I'm sure once the stoned feeling goes I will feel much better

Andy699
07-11-15, 22:28
Yes but the weight gain is awful!!!!!!

Lan69
08-11-15, 09:59
Yes the pounds are piling on but it's my own fault for nit resisting the urge !
Once I get my anxiety under control and settled on my tablets I will hopefully tackle this issue. My referral for exercise therapy has come through so I'm going for my gym induction next week.
One thing I am concerned about is my aching muscles in my left leg, don't know if this is due to the increase in pregablin and will wear off like the stoned feeling. Will have to keep an eye on it

23tana
08-11-15, 11:00
It's a near impossible urge to resist. I've never felt so hungry and it goes on all day. I'm trying to drink more to fill my stomach.

Lan69
08-11-15, 11:11
My urge seems worse on an evening, sitting watching tele and just wanting to eat. I think not working isn't helping too I'm not burning the calories off . Hard to believe a few months ago I was living on complan and bananas !

Lan69
15-11-15, 11:27
The aching leg is much better, I've been spraying it with magnesium every night. My gym referral has come through so will hopefully be going there 3 times a week ( recommended by instructor). Changed how I take my pregablin, 100mg on a morning, same in afternoon and 250mg before bed. I'm thinking if I take a larger dose before bed it may help ease morning anxiety. No change as yet and I feel rather down today and worrying about things that may or may not happen in the future....

MrAndy
15-11-15, 13:01
Good news the leg is feeling better that's a positive,the gym will do you good but don't overdo it.gentle excercise is all you need for now

MyNameIsTerry
16-11-15, 06:44
I think I've seen hanshan say he does that to reduce his morning anxiety. It would be worth asking him.

I'm glad the magnesium spray is helping you. It helps me loads. I've found that whilst it can start to help quite quickly, you will notice more benefits when you have been using it for a while.

Lan69
16-11-15, 19:46
Well I've just half an hour at the gym and I must say I feel better for it. Not a good weekend anxiety been bubbling away all day nearly so I've decided to just going back to taking my pregablin 3 x 150mg until I'm more settled on it. No joint pain or blurry vision just still feeling anxious and feeling medicated but hopefully it will all settle down soon.
I had noticed I was dreaming again and remembering them but now it's like I just shut my eyes go to sleep and wake up again in the same position I went to sleep in, like it's all in a blink of the eye if you know what I mean

Lan69
31-12-15, 15:23
Havent wrote anything on here for a while so here's a quick update incase anyone is intersted
I'm still struggling with morning anxiety but I am sleeping longer I reckon I'm averaging about 7-7.5 hours so not waking up when it's still dark outside which I hated
My weight is still going up but I know I'm still not eating healthy like I know I should and my recent blood test showed I'm entering the pre diabetic stage which I'm worried about. I see my doctor next week so will see what she has to say about this, the nurse said she will probably have me try to control it by diet or take me off the quetiapine. I'm hoping she goes with the diet route as I really don't want to mess around with my meds until I'm more stable and this time of year is not the best of time as I'm struggling as it is

Carolin
31-12-15, 17:50
I'm interested :)

The sleep is what I gain most from quetiapine. Also it helps with my racing thoughts and brain chatter.

I struggle with food when anxious, so weight gain has not been an issue for me.
I know it can be a big problem with antispychotics though.

I was worried about trying it, but am pleased I did.

Lan69
31-12-15, 18:34
I had lost a fair bit weight prior to taking this med, I just coupdnt eat so once my appetite came back I just went mad eating all sorts of rubbish so I have no one to blame but myself
Going to try sort myself out physically and mentally this new year

slowfish
20-01-16, 18:05
GP has suggested adding 50mg quetiapine but I'm very worried it will make me very zombie like during the day and that I'll put on weight. Are these two side effects pretty much guaranteed if you take this drug?

Thanks

Carolin
20-01-16, 22:32
I have been on quetiapine for 7 months now.

I have not gained any weight and am alert during the day . I take the extended release version at bedtime.
It has helped immensely with my sleep and racing mind.

slowfish
21-01-16, 10:56
Thanks for your reply. What dose are you on?

Carolin
21-01-16, 16:38
I'm on 200mg taken once, at night.

Lan69
21-01-16, 19:45
50mg is quite a low dose so I wouldn't worry about it
I'm going to discuss tapering off as I've gained a lot of weight. It's not all down to the quetiapine as I'm on a mix of meds but also to my bad eating habits and I'm a lot less active

slowfish
21-01-16, 20:59
So do you think 50mg will have any effect if its such a low dose?

Lan69
21-01-16, 21:59
Different people need different doses
50mg may be all you need. My psychiatrist wanted me on 200mg

slowfish
23-01-16, 11:56
So I picked up the quetiapine this morning as I had a really bad day yesterday and think maybe I just need to go for it and see if helps. Just really worried about the weight gain and feeling doped up and zombie like.

Lan69
23-01-16, 13:06
You may aswell give them a go
I wasn't worried about the weight gain I just wanted to get well again
To me my mental health was more important than a few side effects. I started on 200mg and I wouldn't say I felt like a zombie to the extent I couldn't do anything I still managed to drive and get out and about
I am now trying to taper down the quetiapine as I'm on 3 meds and I feel the pregablin is doing more for me

slowfish
24-01-16, 10:41
Thanks. Guess I'm just worried that with starting the quetiapine that will mean I'm on three different meds. You're right that mental health is more important than any side effects though.

Lan69
24-01-16, 11:44
What other meds are you on ?

slowfish
24-01-16, 12:10
Mirtazapine 15mg (this is started to help with sleep) and sertraline 150mg (was increased from 50mg 8 weeks ago)

Lan69
24-01-16, 12:38
I'm also on mirtazapine (30mg) and pregablin (600mg).
I tried sertraline but only lasted 2 week it sent my anxiety through the roof !