PDA

View Full Version : Tight sternum causing breathlessness

Ditapage
21-09-15, 04:22
does anyone get a feeling of pressure or blockage in the sternum or middle of the chest but a little bit down from that. Sorry for the bad explanation, I can't pinpoint the exact area but i get this heavy pressure there and it makes me feel breathless even though I can breathe fine. It's not painful but it's uncomfortable and isn't a panic attack. My heart is not racing and there's no feelings of adrenaline. It just feels like I am breathless from this tightness and it makes me want to keep burping but it doesn't budge. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks!

kiiing
21-09-15, 22:21
if you have an anxiety disorder you dont have to exp all physical symptoms some people can only have 1 or maybe 2 or some people can have a ton of symptoms

i would honestly say get a x ray done if it truly bothers but its more than likely plain old anxiety

i get the same thing feel like i cant breathe and i have a pain right smack in the middle of my chest near the bottom of my rib cage not sure what its called either
but i know its anxiety because when i take anxiety medication it goes away and i can breathe just fine

BiG_Oak
22-09-15, 10:58
Have also had this issue, could be indigestion which is causing the burping or it could be the fact you're focusing on the pain/discomfort and although you're heart isn't racing and you aren't getting the other symptoms it's increasing your anxiety and causing you to breathe shallow or over-breathe, which will then make your chest feel tighter and you'll continue to feel breathless and so on... It's a negative cycle we have to try and get out of... Much easier said than done, constantly seem to be stuck in one myself.

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

The main thing that does stand out though that I'm trying to focus on with my breathing issues as well is that like you said... You CAN breathe fine, you are breathing, it's not painful it's uncomfortable... :)

Lee2475
23-09-15, 13:28
I can't belive I've seen this, something else that's been bothering me for a while, exactly the same, I put it down to a muscle but maybe it's just anxiety. Hope you feel better soon