PDA

View Full Version : Heart flops or stomach flops ?

sammie
22-09-15, 06:47
Hi everyone

i am no stranger to ectopic heartbeats , i have had them for over 20 years , they come and go. However at the moment i have a lot of acid reflux and general gassy tummy. So i have noticed a massive increase in them.

I should mention i also have under-active thyroid and my iron levels are in my boots and i have just had a battery of unpleasant tests to find out why. I guess my question is can low iron / under-active thyroid or acid make the ectopics worse? i can't tell if the gas causes them or the other way round. Either way its starting to stress me out. I have seen the GP during a bad bout of them who listened to my heart whilst feeling my pulse and advised my heart was structurally fine and that there was nothing to worry about , yeah right !!! they can be worse when i eat , followed by reflux. I am now getting to the point that i am scared to eat (i am overweight so this doesn't worry me lol)

i cant have any iron tablets till all my test results come back! i can feel my anxiety going up as a result and that's not what i want to happen.

any advice anyone ?
Sam x

shifty75
22-09-15, 08:34
This could be my story! Over 20 years with ectopics..recently had a run of more than I am used to. Also under-active thyroid (autoimmune.)

Just had full blood count done incl electrolytes. Told was normal. Having a 24 hour heart monitor fitted tomorrow! I am also going to request a print out of bloods while I am there.

Mine are also worse while/after eating & I too suffer acid reflux/indigestion/heartburn (for years) so do feel this is a possible connection. Also, interestingly, my mother went in to early menopause & I have read that hormonal changes during the perimenopause can make ectopics worse!

I will be interested in others replies too..

sammie
22-09-15, 17:06
Hi Shifty

thanks for your reply :yesyes: i also think i am going or starting the "change" lol so maybe some reasons for the blasted things there. Its really weird with me i don't have any fears around the ectopics ie heart attack , collapse or dropping dead (i used to many years ago) its the feeling of them i dont like if that makes sense and they irritate me which in turn raises my adrenaline then and only then if after a couple of days of them will i start to get anxious.

Sam x

shifty75
23-09-15, 10:10
I know how you feel..they haven't scared me for years, only recently when I started to get more. Since I have been taking a magnesium supplement they have calmed down although I wouldn't put it down to just that. I wish I knew why I was getting them. I think if I had a definite cause I wouldn't worry so much but there can be numerous causes!

Having that heart monitor fitted this afternoon. Getting nervous about that now!

I will let you know how I get on..:)

SJL
23-09-15, 13:05
I get the ones that feel like they originate in my stomach then I feel the flutter in my chest/throat. Sometimes lasting a few seconds and it feels like you need to catch your breath but before you do it's already corrected itself.

sammie
23-09-15, 13:47
Hi Shifty

hope the heart monitor thing went ok today. I was all for asking for one for myself after the last couple of days. However today things seem to have settled down a little bit and on reflection i think i have been quite stressed due to all the tests i have had to have done due to suspected cancer so i probably got myself more wound up than i thought i had , hence more ectopics

I will see how things go and i am not ruling out a holter just yet

and thanks for all the replies and SJL you have described how it feels for me perfectly

Sam

lisa1975
23-09-15, 14:10
under active with bad heart palps at the moment i usually only get them when my tsh is out of range but its fine so i dont no whats going on im starting to stress a bit now :weep:

shifty75
23-09-15, 16:53
Hi everyone, had the 24 hour monitor fitted just now. I won't get the results for a few days though - up to a week. I was told to call next Weds if not heard anything.

I will update you all though when I know the results :)

lisa1975
23-09-15, 19:57
Hi everyone, had the 24 hour monitor fitted just now. I won't get the results for a few days though - up to a week. I was told to call next Weds if not heard anything.

I will update you all though when I know the results :)

good luck keep us updated how long did you wait for heart monitor one doctor sent you for it was it weeks or months

shifty75
23-09-15, 22:40
Hi lisa1975, I waited about 2 weeks. Not too bad really! Is that your year of birth, 1975? Mine too :)

lisa1975
24-09-15, 21:13
Hi lisa1975, I waited about 2 weeks. Not too bad really! Is that your year of birth, 1975? Mine too :)

It is my date of birth :weep: I've got mine on the 7 th of October let me no how you got on if you don't mind especially with you being hypothyroid like me an good luck got a feeling it's the thyroid that's behind all this :)