PDA

View Full Version : Always Scared! I need some advice

ThePerfctSky
22-09-15, 19:12
Hi again so I just need some advice and help on how to feel not so scared. The last few days I have been doing pretty well with my HA I've been fighting it off and feeling a little happier.

Now I've just seen an advert on TV for Thyroid Cancer and it made me scared to death as I can see my thyroid shape when I swallow is that normal? All these adverts saying to look out for lumps and bumps and abnormalitis make me feel so scared, it's like they are intentionally trying to scare people. Why do they make the rarer cancers sound really common? I have this awful fear that I am going to get some sort of cancer because it's everywhere I turn on TV and in the news and media, how do I feel better and put it to the back of my mind does anyone have any tips?

Also does anyone with HA ever feel like they can feel or see things that aren't actually there? Sorry for rambling I just need some advice. Thank you :)

emily67
22-09-15, 19:25
i know what you mean about the cancer scare.
used to be scared of the exact same thing happening to me. i'd see the advert and start worrying it would be me soon. (for me it was linked to my fear of dying suddenly), which is a fear i still have- and it's still quite strong.

what works for me is hearing about what causes cancer to begin with.

you read that people get cancer because they smoke heavily. because they drink. because it runs in the family, what ever.. it reasures me though because i don't go around thinking.. well, tomorrow i'm going to get out of bed and have a type of cancer- believe me when i say this, i know very few cases where people have just " got cancer"

hope that this helps a little

x

ThePerfctSky
22-09-15, 19:37
i know what you mean about the cancer scare.
used to be scared of the exact same thing happening to me. i'd see the advert and start worrying it would be me soon. (for me it was linked to my fear of dying suddenly), which is a fear i still have- and it's still quite strong.

what works for me is hearing about what causes cancer to begin with.

you read that people get cancer because they smoke heavily. because they drink. because it runs in the family, what ever.. it reasures me though because i don't go around thinking.. well, tomorrow i'm going to get out of bed and have a type of cancer- believe me when i say this, i know very few cases where people have just " got cancer"

hope that this helps a little

x

This did help a little thank you, it's just the media makes things seem a lot more common than they are and it scares people especially when they show the person on the advert to be quite young. Thank you x

emily67
22-09-15, 19:43
This did help a little thank you, it's just the media makes things seem a lot more common than they are and it scares people especially when they show the person on the advert to be quite young. Thank you x

the media certainly have a way of overdoing things sometimes.

though they are not out to scare.. trust me. all they want to do is inform.

it's always good to be informed about these things. and i know it's scary, but it's better to be informed about these things, than not to be and find someone affected by it, and not know what to do

x

ThePerfctSky
22-09-15, 21:10
the media certainly have a way of overdoing things sometimes.

though they are not out to scare.. trust me. all they want to do is inform.

it's always good to be informed about these things. and i know it's scary, but it's better to be informed about these things, than not to be and find someone affected by it, and not know what to do

x

That is very true, I know they only try to help. It's just when you hear of so many young people with rare cancers it seems more common than it actually is, I guess they have to put it out there also to get views. Thanks again :)