PDA

View Full Version : Could do with some reassurance today guys...

BiG_Oak
23-09-15, 16:19
Hi people,

Posted for the first time yesterday and could do with a bit of help today to put my mind at rest... Health anxious and 99% of it is heart related

I've had 9/10 ECG's, a 24 hour ECG, a chest x-ray, blood tests about 5-6 months ago, numerous doctors listen to my heart and check my blood pressure etc.

Basically yesterday after worrying about my breathing and feeling like I had difficulty breathing for the past few days I went to the gym, started out ok but I was already worrying, found myself taking deep breaths because I felt like I needed to catch my breath every so often, cut my gym session short and decided to drive to A&E (AGAIN :doh::lac::weep: surprised they don't know me by name yet or have my car registration noted down :doh:) because it was really starting to bother me.

On the way to A&E I started to get some skipped beats/heart palpitations (had more than usual during the day yesterday with my breathing issues etc), usually only get one or 2 occasionally (probably because I'd convinced myself something was wrong and still wasn't breathing properly) but had like 4 or 5 in the car on the way... Basically on the verge of a panic attack but managed to remain calm-ish.

Got to A&E had an ECG and unlike any of the other times the nurse took 2 readings and wrote or circled something on the reading and wandered off to get it checked by a doctor (as they always have to), I asked if it was ok, she said she's not qualified to read it etc... she was gone ages!:weep:... DOES SHE NOT UNDERSTAND that when I get like this I'm the most anxious person EVER :roflmao:, she came back, put up the side on the bed and started wheeling me through to the next room because the doctor wanted to check me... WHAT'S GOING ON?! :scared15: , they put the oxygen thing on my finger, hooked me up to the ECG etc and I was sat there for 30 mins or so, I asked the new nurse a couple of times if it looked ok and she said it looks fine, the doctor just wanted to check something and it's probably completely normal for me and so on... WHAT's completely normal?! Am I getting something wrong, mind was going nuts!

Anyway... She did all the tests took another ECG reading as well as the constant one I was hooked up to, all fine, she was really nice, reassuring and helpful, chatted to me for like half an hour about load of worries etc, listened to my heart, checked other things and then showed me my last ECG, it was all fine and good, computer said it was normal as well :yesyes:...

But what's bothering me is... Why did I get wheeled through? What did they see that they wanted to look at further? What was on the first ECG? Forgot to ask what was actually the reason etc...

Sorry for the essay I do tend to talk LOADS:whistles:

Lifelonganxiety!
23-09-15, 16:57
Did you drink a lot of coffee that day? Did you not get enough potassium? Maybe not enough electrolytes.

My heart skips a beat quite a lot, but it's usually down to not getting enough of something. They probably saw one minor event and went for a 2nd opinion, didn't see it again and quite rightly said that your heart was fine.

Drink a Gatorade, eat a banana, and calm down.

Greenman50
23-09-15, 17:43
"checked other things and then showed me my last ECG, it was all fine and good, computer said it was normal as well :yesyes:..."

^^^^^^^^^^^^

There ,s your answer mate :yesyes:

You suffer from health anxiety and your posting on a HA forum and you have had more ECG thingies than i,ve had pints this week your find mate .

It does not matter about the if / buts / whats the nurse said did :)

Let it go :D

BiG_Oak
23-09-15, 21:31
Did you drink a lot of coffee that day? Did you not get enough potassium? Maybe not enough electrolytes.

My heart skips a beat quite a lot, but it's usually down to not getting enough of something. They probably saw one minor event and went for a 2nd opinion, didn't see it again and quite rightly said that your heart was fine.

Drink a Gatorade, eat a banana, and calm down.

That's a good call, don't drink coffee though and I think I did alright in respect to what I usually eat etc, only think I can think of is maybe I was a bit dehydrated as I don't think I drank much water yesterday, also the excessive skipped beats could be due to the fact I wasn't breathing correctly throughout the day, thinking about it too much and also not breathing right whilst in the gym and driving :unsure:

Thanks for the input, really appreciate it, just bothered me more this time as its the first time I've ever been for an ECG (and as you can see I've now hit double figures which I'm not proud about at all :unsure::weep:) and they've actually wanted to look at or double check anything...

---------- Post added at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

"checked other things and then showed me my last ECG, it was all fine and good, computer said it was normal as well :yesyes:..."

^^^^^^^^^^^^

There ,s your answer mate :yesyes:

You suffer from health anxiety and your posting on a HA forum and you have had more ECG thingies than i,ve had pints this week your find mate .

It does not matter about the if / buts / whats the nurse said did :)

Let it go :D

Thank you Greenman, that's what I keep telling myself it just gets easy to focus on something negative when you get into the anxiety loop/cycle, like I keep saying to myself that if there was anything to worry about the dr wouldn't have let me leave the hospital and every other test I've had has always come back fine and normal etc, just typical that everything comes back fine and I find the one think that worries me and focus on it :doh:

Really appreciate the help mate, sometimes it's nice for someone to just hit you with some logical thinking and give you a friendly reality check :)