PDA

View Full Version : Massive day tomorrow 7 hour flight!

bekw89
24-09-15, 09:43
Hi all,

Tomorrow I am going to Canada! I can't quite believe it. Three months ago this was a dream come true but then I got the worst bout of physical and psychological anxiety I have ever had. Somehow, by sheer miracle/determination/luck I think I can get there. Even though I have only just been able to go out, tomorrow I am driving to London and getting two planes and a hire car that means driving on the other side of the road.

There is no way anxiety Is going to take this trip from me. It can come along for the ride if it wants. My dad has recently been diagnosed with Motor neurones which is terminal and his brother lives over there. It's his dream to go so anxiety can just back off.

Honestly though, this forum has saved my life. All of your kind words knowledge and encouragement has got me through this hell.

So thank you!!!!!!!!

emily67
24-09-15, 09:49
hope you have a smooth flight to canada and that you'll let us know how it goes when you get back.

we'll miss you here on the forum x

bekw89
24-09-15, 09:52
Thanks Emily, I am sure I will be on. You might see a post spring up called 'Help, how to stop panic attacks on a plane!' lol

emily67
24-09-15, 10:00
Thanks Emily, I am sure I will be on. You might see a post spring up called 'Help, how to stop panic attacks on a plane!' lol

lol hahahhaa!

seriously though, if i saw such a post my reply would be something along the lines of.. talk to the flight attendants. they've done this before and have had many successfull flights and can reasure you. and the safety anouncements are their for a reason.. not to scare you, but to reasure you that if something did happen, their's a way out

(coming from the person who would never get on a plain, not bad!)

bekw89
24-09-15, 10:14
Lolll I know, i'll be ok iv got emergency camomile tea bags , diazepam, rescue remedy. Safety behaviors for the win! I am nervous about flying in general so looking forward to some rational anxiety for once.

emily67
24-09-15, 10:21
what do you plan to do when you get to canada?

bekw89
24-09-15, 10:25
We are stopping a night in halifax then flying next day to north sydney to see my aunty and uncle. Hiring a car so me an my partner can go exploring. Maybe even Whale watching. But mostly will be buying all the stuff you can't get here and eating massive meals.

emily67
24-09-15, 10:27
We are stopping a night in halifax then flying next day to north sydney to see my aunty and uncle. Hiring a car so me an my partner can go exploring. Maybe even Whale watching. But mostly will be buying all the stuff you can't get here and eating massive meals.

what fun!

hope you have a good time

bekw89
24-09-15, 10:30
Thanks, hoping to come back 100 percent cured lol

Pepperpot
24-09-15, 10:41

Hahahaha - brilliant.

Hope you have a good time. We are here if you need a bit of reassurance x

bekw89
24-09-15, 10:45
Thanks pepperpot,. ideally I would be on this forum the whole 7 hour flight lol. But I'm downloading some guided meditation instead.

Deanosbeano
24-09-15, 15:22
Hope you have a fantastic time :)
You have come so far and now your going so far , its been great seeing your progress in the posts you have made.
make sure you set the forums as favourites and post some words about your dream trip

dally
24-09-15, 17:14
Good luck for your flight. Have a wonderful holiday. Make lots of fabulous memories xx

sial72
24-09-15, 19:36
You go girl!!!
It is my lifetime dream to go to Canada. I have a friend there with a cottage in the mountains, I call it Paradise and I have been invited. I hope to one day be as super brave as you are. Enjoy xxx

bekw89
24-09-15, 23:02
Thanks Deano, I will definately try and update regardless of wether it's success or failure!

Dally I will try my best!

Sial... Paradise is waiting and nothing can stop you, i'll let you know if it's as good as I imagine it too be lol

Again thanks for all the support guys and gals. Would be lost without this forum xx

Dan1975
24-09-15, 23:24
Lolll I know, i'll be ok iv got emergency camomile tea bags , diazepam, rescue remedy. Safety behaviors for the win! I am nervous about flying in general so looking forward to some rational anxiety for once.

I'd stick with the wine matey. That'll chill u out!

bekw89
24-09-15, 23:35
Dan I would love a massive glass of red but i'm so scared of alcohol induced anxiety, It's camomile or nothing these days :(. Once I'm there I will give the booze a little chance.

MyNameIsTerry
25-09-15, 04:39
I hope you have a great time, Bek. At this stage the plane journey might be harder than it could be (it may also go fine though!) so once you are there just emerse yourself in the place and let the anxiety from it go. Hopefully the new sights will help with this as we get so entrenched in the daily routine and as the saying goes "a change is as good as a rest" as you start to think more positively.

Just go slow on the alcohol and see how it goes. You are still pretty new on meds and working through recovery. It might be fine, but I thinkI would try a small exposure first and see how the next day is rather than risk a bad day from getting hammered.

Sial - thats sounds amazing. I bet it is very tranquil at your friends place and being so close to such amazing nature must make you feel happy to be alive. I would love to go there myself and I've always said I would prefer the log cabin lifestyle.

bekw89
26-09-15, 11:36
Morning all I made it and the flight was fine!

Thanks Terry I will take it easy on the booze, stole a little bottle of red from the plane but not drank it yet. Only anxiety symptoms are moments of derealization and accompanying irrational thoughts. But so so pleased to have made it here and not let my family down. It is very tranquil and Canadians are lovely. I do feel like the Citalopram is numbing my emotions though. Old me would be like "OMG I'M IN CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yahoo::yahoo:" and now i feel more 'Omg i'm in Canada:)'

Here's too recovery! I say take the plunge Sial you will love it x

MyNameIsTerry
26-09-15, 11:38
Brilliant! Well done! Thats going to be a massive confidence booster for you too. I can see you coming back with some amazing memories to keep you moving forward for some time yet :yesyes:

bekw89
26-09-15, 11:50
Woohoo, I really hope so. Everystep I have suprised myself, didn't think I'd make it through the airport but again that's anxieties cruel little game. Constant doubt and worry. Anyway will keep you all posted, don't think 10days away from this forum is possible lol.

girl20
03-10-15, 02:31
I know this happened some months ago already but I just wanted to say that I'm very proud of you for overcoming your plane fear. I share your same concerns about flying, and so I haven't really been on a long trip for years now. Not that I've had the opportunity to do it to be honest, but I hope to be as brave as you were when i get the opportunity to go on a long plane trip!
Congrats again!

bekw89
06-10-15, 15:21
Sweet home Alabama! What a journey, am back home and slightly jet lagged and delirious. Panic attack count for the holiday... NIL! This included driving on the wrong side of the road! So I am very very pleased about that. Had a great time, saw some bald eagles up close, a bit of ice hokey and lots and lots of beautiful countryside. Most of all my dad enjoyed it and must say the Canadian people are so friendly. Hopefully this could encourage anyone hesitating about stepping outside their comfort zone to give it a try, it's so worth it.

MyNameIsTerry
09-10-15, 06:27
:yesyes::yahoo:

Really pleased to hear this, Bek. This will act as a very good positive memory to keep you going when you come back and proves you are stronger than you realise.

We've got some Canadians on here and they've always seemed very nice people to me.

bekw89
12-10-15, 19:32
Thanks Terry I really hope so. Its done me so much good. What a blessing this site is!