PDA

View Full Version : Cholesterol levels

Bonnibelle
24-09-15, 14:24
Does Mirt raise cholesterol levels?

My cholesterol was 5.8 2 years ago. I'd only been on 7,5mg of Mirt a few months at the time so I doubt it was due to that.

My GP said at the time 5.8 was fine and to not worry. He wasn't at all concened which I found strange. I mentioned it to him last week and he said he will test it again in my bloods this November. I am now worrying what if it's even higher now 2 years into being on Mirt, could I be a ticking time bomb? My uncle was 51, thin, never drank or smoked and he had a massive heart attack and nearly died. They said it was due to raised cholesterol. All the family had to get tested and many went on statins. That's what prompted me to get mine tested but my GP said mine was fine at 5.8. I have recently read that is high and scared myself.

I asked my GP if Mirt raises cholesterol levels and he said it's very rare.

I am now eating very healthy, I did anyway but I am cutting out any treats unless they are dark chocolate ;-)

SmilingAlbert
24-09-15, 23:25
Hi Bonnibelle,

It is good to keep an eye on Cholesterol, esp. if there are heart problems in your family. While on Mirt, I have had a fairly high level, but I was overweight.

Once I lost weight (while on Mirt - it is possible!), my C-Level fell a lot, to as it happens to I think 5.8. Ideally it should be below 5. A GP friend of mine said, unofficially, that 5.8 wasn't too much to worry about when I asked her.

You should keep an eye on your weight certainly, and consider Flora Pro-activ etc. instead of butter, but I don't think it's a huge deal and I havent heard that Mirt impacts this, unless it's the weight gain thing which is admittedly common, though not inevitable.

Albert

Greenman50
25-09-15, 00:10
Mines 6.8 , it was 7.5 .

The 6.8 ...4.5 is bad chlosterolor :blush:

There is much more to high Cholesterol levels like BP , family history , age etc etc .

I,m on statins ( only a month in ) .

It is what it is i,m not worried TBH but i,m making an effort diet wise .

Lan69
25-09-15, 09:04
Hi
Iv just recently started taking statins. They were started when I was in hospital. I don't know how high my cholesterol was I never thought to ask at the time. I think most of my family over the age of 40 are on statins as ours is genetic ( lucky me not)
Iv been on mirtazapine for 4 months now and I hold my hand up to not eating properly. I know I'm eating far too much of the wrong things but after being barely able to eat for 5 month at this moment in time I don't care. Once I'm stabilised on my medication then I shall look to living a more healthy lifestyle.