PDA

View Full Version : Fear of dentists

misslove
24-09-15, 19:03
I posted yesterday about a sinus /tooth problem. Well If it turns out to be my tooth I'm in total panic over going to the dentist. I get panic attacks enough. I'm so scared. Last thing I need is a person rooting around in my mouth and me throwing up on them. If I could be knocked out and home then taken in that would be perfect. I'm so scared of even callin is rather deal with the pain. I'm pretty sure that even if I get an appointment and I actually make it to the dentis office e that I won't get out of my car. Any advice????

---------- Post added at 18:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

Like my fear is that my anxiety will be crazy and I'll literally have s heart attack Right there in the office.

sial72
24-09-15, 19:15
My advice would be to find a nice dentist (maybe on recommendation). Phone the dentist and explain how terribly anxious you are, you're not the only person who feels this way, they are quite used to it and know how to deal with it and calm people down.
I am sure you would rather put up with the pain but if things get infected it can become dodgy, so you really arw better going sooner rather than later xxx

misslove
24-09-15, 19:52
I made an appointment for Monday and I told the women on the phone I was shaking just talking to her. She said that the dentist is really nice and people feel calm around him. Well they haven't met me! I might try to punch him a few times. Or run out of the office which I think is a real possibility. It's going to be a long weekend.

sial72
24-09-15, 20:18
Don't worry, they'll have seen it all lol
I have spent half my life at the dentist so I'm just so used to it but you should see my daughter when she goes, she turns into the girl from The Exorcist!!
Good luck for Monday!! Let us know how you went on...xxx

misslove
24-09-15, 20:24
Thanks. I know that I'm going to stress about it all weekend.

GadGirl
24-09-15, 22:18
I am petrified of the dentist , Even though I have been seeing the same one for years I explained right at the start that I have anxiety and him and his assistant was very understanding as always do what they can too keep me at ease.

Just let your dentist know like it has been said they are very used to it.

Good Luck for Monday :)

misslove
25-09-15, 02:20
Well not only am I afraid of needing major dental work but I also have a sensitive gag reflex😕

ilovetrees
25-09-15, 08:28
There are a lot of people who are scared of the dentists.

I'm one if them and doing the minimum lead me to face pain a couple of months ago so severe I literally couldn't move and it would last for hours on some occasions. I saw my dentist as an emergency case and he said that it could be one of two broken teeth on that side and he gave me antibiotics and said they needed to come out. My anxiety issues caused him to refer me to the hospital. They also said they had to come out once other work has been done. I had four fillings the other day and there is still one more to do plus the two broken ones. It took a whole hour for the fillings but I didn't even feel the needle go in. He was also really understanding about my anxiety.

Since the problems started, the main broken tooth has meant the need for two courses of antibiotics and I've had an abcess there too. Pretty unpleasant.

So, best to learn from my mistakes that a check up isn't actually bad at all and even a filling every now and again isn't that much of a big deal once you're in there.

Remember the saying, a stitch in time saves nine and that applies to dentistry too.