PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

detroitfan
12-02-07, 04:13
I have been diagnosed with anxiety and at first was not pleased. I didn't think I had it. No way. I thought for sure it was a blood sugar issue(dizziness) or my heart was wrong(palpitations), always making excuses. After seeing this site and relief from a little Xanax I now realized, and believe my doctor, that I have/had anxiety. It makes sense now. I have always been a relaxed kid and young adult through out my life, but always had these reservations about my daily actions. Worrying about suddenly becoming ill, going out in a group of friends and having something go wrong, traveling long distances and worrying about things going wrong on vacation. Never held me back, but things I did worry about. Well it all came to head back in December....

I am a funeral director...yeah great job for someone with anxiety. I had started full-time in August of 06. I work for a very busy funeral home and enjoy fast paced work, but we had been exceptionally busy. In November I engaged my high school sweet-heart and all of the plans started with that. Moved out of the parents house ino my own apartment. Then all of a sudden around middle of December we became slow around work, which was nice at first, but then it gave me way too much time to think. The dizziness started, feelings of almost passing out, heart palpitations, fatigue, and weird headaches like I was having a stroke or I hought it was a tumour for sure! I had my first panic attack while out with my fiance and best friend. Had to leave the restaurant real fast and the next day at work I needed to be taken off of a service because I just couldn't go on with it. That night I called my doc and made an appointment. He checked out my heart and blood tests. He right away, thankfully, said it was probablly anxiety and gave me a low dose of Xanax to take as needed. (Everything was fine with my tests.)

I thankfully do not have a severe case of anxiety. An occasional Xanax, and reassuring thoughts have helped tremendously with the symptoms. For a while there I had thought everday was going to be my last even trying not to fall asleep becuase of my doom feelings. At work I try to read or keep busy cleaning on our slow days so I don't think about death ALL the time even though it is obviously what my job is involved with. I don't look up medical conditions that I would see on death certificates online all the time anymore. I asked my manager to change my schedule and he did. (I was working 8-9 days in a row often 12-13 hour days. "young person's" schedule.) I have gotten back to doing things when I was so relaxed. Going downtown, playing my guitar and enjoying music (techno is my favorite!), talking to and seeing my friends...

Clearly my work has had alot to do with my anxiety. It lead me to think that every twitch and feeling in my body was cancer, heart attack, etc. because I see such deaths occur on a regular basis. I also was diagnosed with a Hiatal Hernia and GERD whcih can be some of the same feelings as anxiety and was probablly potentiating my anxiety. I do the most I can with my life each day and try to be strong. I now workout and eat right to ease my mind about preserving my healh and just to generally feel better. I don't let this anxiety thing run my life. I do what I want because I have a choice in my life to sit and be anxious or deal with the feelings of anxiety and do something worthwhile during the day and with my life! If the anxiety wins one battle for a day or two, so be it...I now know I won't die from the feelings of my body.

Thank you to the starters of this forum board. Sorry about the length, but this feels good!

wobily_lin
12-02-07, 05:19
elo detroit,

A warm welcome to the site..great support n advice here..and u will make good friends who understand..glad ta have ya on board x

Take care,
Lin xxx
"Fear is dat lil darkroom, wer negatives r developed", so positive thoughts okies!!!!!

manmoor
12-02-07, 08:06
Hi Dt,

A big warm welcome to you.

"When There Was Only One It Was Then That I Carried You."

mazzywoo
12-02-07, 08:42
Hi there Detroitfan-welcome to this brilliant website! You will find friends and support here and a great source of information. xxxMaz

Maz

honeybee3939
12-02-07, 09:00
Hi DT

And a BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice while making new friends on the way.:D

Take a look at the First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps) pages DT you may find them of interest.

Love

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

nomorepanic
12-02-07, 12:50
Hi Detroit

A warm welcome aboard and lovely to see you here. Hope we can be of some help.

You will meet some lovely people and get loads of great advice and support.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel