PDA

View Full Version : Open would - packing and dressing

Traceypo
25-09-15, 07:29
Hi all, would really appreciate some positive experiences on open wounds.
I had an incision and drainage last Saturday and the wound has been left open. Is it usual to have drainage from it?
Thankfully the wound is in a position where I can't see, poke or prod it.
I have daily dressing changes done by a nurse, however these are done on a morning and by evening if feels wet.
Wound is about 1.5cm deep.
Thanks
Tracey

Annie0904
25-09-15, 07:52
Yes it is normal and I am sure the nurses would notice if there was a problem. My son had similar wounds after an operation which had to be dressed and packed and they had fluid too.

Traceypo
25-09-15, 08:12
Thanks hun, once again, I'm so pleased I can't see it otherwise I'd have analysed it every second. Guess I just have to be patient (not my strong point). Once your sons wound healed, did he have any further issues? X

23tana
25-09-15, 08:23
The point of leaving the wound open is to allow it to drain. Once it is dry it will heal from the inside out. You'll have a scar, but this will fade in time.

Traceypo
25-09-15, 08:35
Thanks hun, I'm not very vain so a scar is no problem, I'm just not very patient and want it healed. I'm fed up of reading negative stuff on Internet about my condition, pionodal sinus, was hoping I could hear some positives.
Really appreciate the replies.
Xx

Annie0904
25-09-15, 19:54
No my son had no further issues when his wounds healed (apart from scars which have faded).

Traceypo
26-09-15, 12:28
Thank you, had a bit of a bleed from wound this morning, but been reassured by nurse that it's fine. It's comforting knowing that the wound is looked at everyday. X