PDA

View Full Version : New and needing support please

ButterflyB
26-09-15, 21:38
Hi
Gosh, so I am now not quite sure where to start really! I have a long on and off history of anxiety and other mental health issues but the anxiety is the 1 that keeps coming back to bite me. I am mid 30s but was first very noticeably affected by anxiety at age 13, it had a profound affect on my life and education but it was not recognised and diagnosed (despite much medical involvement) until I changed GP surgery at 18 when I was finally given a diagnosis of anxiety and bulimia and prescribed propanolol and prozac and received support for these issues and self harm . Tbh the bulimia and self harm were a damn sight easier to kick than the anxiety! From the age of approx 19- 28 anxiety was in and out of my life depending on circumstances but wasn't a major feature the vast majority of the time. At 28 I had my first baby and developed horrendous PND and anxiety that once again had a very significant affect on my quality of life and happiness. It took a good 2 years before I even began to feel better and then 1 day I felt a wee bit better and very, very slowly got better from there. It was a long, slow, lonley process and I eventually sought the support of a councellor who I was lucky to click with and worked my backside off to "recover". I have done so much work and achieved so much, got over the social anxiety that crippled me during my PND (once had to leave a supermarket because I met my next door neighbour 3 times and couldn't cope). My self esteem has never been better and I have achieved soooo much in my career and now have the job of my dreams that only 2 years ago I would have laughed, cried and felt utter despair if anyone had suggested that I would ever have this job. I made friends which seemed to be an insurmountable challenge and I was truly, truly happy in a way that I probably never have been before. Life wasn't perfect, just normal ups and downs, the good, the bad, the great and the not so great! But overall I was happy and anxiety was not a big feature. A couple of weeks ago I hit a really difficult period and now once more I am back on propanolol, I have an appointment coming up with same councellor (have seen a few times now over the past 4 years or so) and I feel like I am drowning. I feel like I can't cope at work, I am so bloody terrified of failing and losing every thing. Physically my anxiety has been off the scale for me and I have spent the last couple of weeks permanently with a racing heart, Churning stomach, the shakes, tingly arms, clenched teeth to the point that I have dislodged a filling and an intense feeling of dread and doom. I keep waiting to be "found out" at work, not for my anxiety but for my ineptitude, for my inability to do my job, for not having a clue what I am doing. I have never had any problems with my work, senior staff are always happy with my work, I get plenty of positive feedback. I am a wreck for absolutely no reason.

I apologise for the long post, once I started typing it just didn't stop!

Thank you for reading,
ButterflyB x

---------- Post added at 20:38 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

Sorry don't know why it submitted twice!

venusbluejeans
26-09-15, 21:48
Hiya ButterflyB and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

sial72
27-09-15, 07:52
Hi Butterfly
It sounds as though your expectations for yourself are sooo high and that you are thinking in terms of all or nothing.
If someone else told you your story wouldn't you think differently.
Don't be so hard on yourself. Getting better (like you have done) doesn't mean never ever feeling bad again.
This is a blip and if you can accept that you won't go into the fear cycle.
Xxx

emily67
27-09-15, 10:33
hey.

welcome to the forum x