PDA

View Full Version : Looking for answers

Lan69
27-09-15, 17:29
I'm doing my head in here constantly looking for answers and reassurance. I know doing this is wrong but it's like an obsession. When I think about nearly everyday for the past 6months Iv been searching on line and reading loads of books all about anxiety, I think I could write my own book by now Iv gained that much knowledge. But is too much knowledge bad for you? The previous times I have been bad I lived in ignorance just took the tablet off my doctor and was back to work within a couple of weeks .... Not so this time, I discovered google !

MyNameIsTerry
28-09-15, 06:39
The first time I had a breakdown I relied solely on my GP. I had no therapy and just lived with being told I couldn't get any for 12 months minimum. My GP gave me very little information about anxiety (no handouts), told me Citalopram side effects were "some sweating and loose bowels" (within 48hrs he had called in the Crisis Team!), needed Zopiclone to beat the insomnia (never told me to change the time I took it), told me to take Zopiclone daily for a month (Crisis Team weren't happy with that!), etc.

I got a lot better and back to work with loads of confidence again. I came off Citalopram and 6 months later had a far worse relapse. Why? I didn't learn about anxiety so couldn't prevent a relapse. I didn't realise all the things I was doing would make it worse and it was too late when I did.

So, research is important. Learn about your disorder(s) and how to treat them but there comes a point when you are reading when you should be doing. If you reach a point like that, you need to take a step back. Some people buy book after book and many of them say largely the same things. I believe in buying a couple and sticking to them.

Lan69
28-09-15, 09:45
Is there any books in particular you would recommend ? Iv read a couple of Claire weekes books which I found really helpful.
I think my problem is just seeking reassurance cos I worry I'm doing the wrong thing and comparing myself to other members and people on other sites especially about medication. I like to read reviews and see how certain meds affected them.
I think what I really want is for someone to say is to take this and by such and such a date you will be totally recovered, but unfortunately that is never going to happen ....

MyNameIsTerry
28-09-15, 10:00
I tend to read free resources to understand about anxiety e.g. medical professional websites, charity websites, etc. When I buy any books it tends to be for something specifically to work on anxiety, a treatment.

The one I have found excellent is Professor Mark Williams Mindfulness Finding peace in a frantic world. I went for that because of the MBCT programme it is based on and wanted to broaden out my Mindfulness practice.

It can be comforting to read the stories of others. But comparing is a bad thing to do because there is often so much missed out of user stories and it really doesn't matter when & where you get better but that you do.

Lan69
28-09-15, 10:11
I have that book on my kindle but haven't got round to reading it yet, my head has to be in right place to be able to do that. When I did my CBT my therapist had me work alongside the centre for clinical interventions and also recommended a book called 'overcoming worry' ( also on kindle but not read).
Im not receiving CBT now they had to discharge me and pass me over to the community treatment team. I've met my CPN but dony know of I'm going to start any other type of therapy. Something I must find out on his next visit

MyNameIsTerry
28-09-15, 10:14
The NHS also run a book prescription scheme. Have you heard of it? They have a suggested reading list on NHS Choices and your GP, nurse, therapist, etc could write one which you take to a local library. When I looked it was mostly CBT books and one of Claire Weekes but they had some condition specific ones too.

Lan69
28-09-15, 13:11
No I've never heard of it, I shall ask my CPN about it when he visits cheers terry

MyNameIsTerry
29-09-15, 05:50
Here's the info for you:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/pages/self-help-therapies.aspx

http://www.overcoming.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=6320

Lan69
29-09-15, 10:30
Here's the info for you:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/pages/self-help-therapies.aspx

http://www.overcoming.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=6320

Thank you terry