PDA

View Full Version : Positive comments about Citalopram please!!!!

sandie
12-02-07, 12:26
Hi everyone

Saw my GP this morning - the first time since the beginning of December.

He is keeping me on 3 x 40 mg Propanalol each day - continues to refuse to give me sleeping tablets (even though my sleep is dreadful), and has now suggested I start Citalopram - he has given me a month's supply of one 20 mg per day and wants to see me next week.

In fairness he spent 30 minutes with me, talked me through what he felt was happening with me, the anxiety and panic atacks, commented on where he felt there had been improvements, but still insists that my sleep will improve when the anxiety/depression issues resolve themselves. He is very anti sleepers and is anti any med that can lead to reliance or addiction.

We spoke about why the adrenaline and palpitations are waking me up in the middle of the night (despite the propanalol) - Answer: because, as he says, I'm obviously still worrying about the problems we've had an are having still.

Another GP at the practice prescribed me Prozac right at the onset of my problems; this had me bouncing off the walls, not sleeping and in a terrible state. After 10 days my visit to the surgery resulted in me seeing the GP I now always ask for, and although he is a "Tough love" guy, I think I have some respect for him and his honesty - even though I don't always want to agree with it. I came off Prozac immediately and was prescribed a limited number of sleepers (which didn't work), and the propanalol, which has helped.

As a consequence, I was taken aback this morning when he suggested there was an argument to be made for me to take an anti-depressant. He told me that there should be no side effects, and that it wouldn't be difficult to come off them at the appropriate time.

I've just read A LOT of postings about Citalopram, and to be honest, I'm a bit confused and a little worried.

If I KNOW they could make me feel better, then great; if I KNOW that for MOST people there aren't any side effects, then great; if I KNOW they aren't too difficult to come off, then that's good too. BUT so many of the posts are critical of Citalopram, and I am now a bit concerned.

PLEASE, PLEASE if any of you have GOOD or POSITIVE experiences (be it yourself or someone you know), please post accordingly. I really don't want to go through what Prozac did to me.

He referred me for CBT at the beginning of December. I am still awaiting an appointment and asked if he could speed this up; his comment was that he didn't really feel my mind was "in the best place at the moment for CBT to be at its most effective". As a result he'd review that next week. He's quite young - middle 30s, and as such you'd expect him to be reasonably proactive and modern in his approach, but I just don't know any more!!!

Thanks

Sandie

hogwarts
12-02-07, 12:43
Hello Sandie my doctor gave me Citalopram 20mg one's and to be honest they made me feel like sxxt so then he gave me 10mg one's and they did the same but i think it was my own fault because i don't give them chance to kick in if you know what i mean i was only taking them for 7 days i think i gave in to quick.

Gareth.

WILL0W
12-02-07, 12:44
Hi Sandie,

I take Citalopram 10mg, I used to be on 20mg. Personally I have found it has suited me well. I am on no other meds other than the pill.

On other anti-depressants I was dreadful, I was so depressed, had nightmares all the time and had quite obsessive frame of mind due to insecurities, my mind would be just thinking on the same things going in circles all the time. Citalopram definitely gave me a lift at a difficult time. I remain on a low dose to help ease my anxiety attacks, I suffer from social phobia again I have made a lot of progress but have still got a battle with that particular side of things.

best wishes
Willow.x

yorkylover
12-02-07, 16:25
Hi Sandie Iv been on citalopram for years on and off.Was put back on in the summer.Im on 20mg.Gp started me on 40 but was reduced to 20 and thats what Iv been on since.The first two weeks I had side affects but they went away,and I have been happy on them since.

Ellen XX

Basket Boy
12-02-07, 17:31
Hi Sandie,

I've been on 20mg Citalopram for around 4 months now, and for me the side effects have been mild and tolerable.

They have contributed to me getting back to work - I feel much calmer and I can "turn my head off" and not obsess about work problems. I doubt I'd have got back to work without them.

If you decide to take the Citlopram, then stick with it for a couple of weeks if you can, in common with a lot of other people I felt worse during this "bedding in" period, but I feel it was worth it.

Take care.

Chris x

"Don't tell 'em your name Pike!..."

honeybee3939
12-02-07, 19:16
Hi Sandie

Ive been taking Citalopram for 8 years on and off, they have helped me so much, never really have any bad side effects(always started on a low dose then increased after a couple of months) and not too worried i have been taking them for so long, i just think if a tablet a day can make me feel better then i know which path i would prefer to go down.:D I also take them in the evening before bed, so any side effects should have worn off before morning.

Hope that helps

Love

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

lisa p
13-02-07, 11:46
Hi Sandie

I have been taking 20 mg for the last 8 days! The first 5 days were not good, but nothing I couldnt handle.

The side effects are now ok, just feel a little sick sometimes and just got back from taking the children for a walk. Something I havent been able to do for ages.

I would give them a go, I certainly feel a tiny bit better, got a long way to go but hopefully in a couple more weeks they will be having full effect!!

Good luck.

Lisa

Evie
13-02-07, 11:48
Hi Sandie

I took citalopram for seven months and it was wonderful. They gave my head a total break and I was even able to have my holiday vaccinations (until recently I suffered an extreme needle phobia) and just generally floated about on a little cloud of blissful disinterest! There were a few side effects such as a slight jittering but then at least I knew they were working. I came off them easily - not without a few stomach cramps, a little nausea and headache, but no worse than bad PMT and it only lasted a few days.

No relapse since and certainly no serious side effects as I was able to plan and single-handedly implement an entire wedding whilst on them, including printing all the stationery, altering, hand-dying and embellishing four bridesmaid dresses, shoes, matching accessories, hand embroidering and beading my shoes, making and embroidering a shirt for the bridegroom six days before the wedding and do all the decorating and table dressing on the day. I don't think I'd have managed that if the pills disagreed with me!

I'd agree with your doctor about the CBT. CBT is a marvellous tool (it cured me of a 30-year phobia of needles) but it does require a lot of physical and mental strength so I think your doctor is quite right to want to "pre-wash" you with some anti-depressants before attempting the stubborn stains that underlie it. The anti-depressants will just take the reins for a while and allow things to stabilise - including your sleep, which you'll get plenty of, and help you get your strength back up before starting the CBT. There does tend to be a waiting list for CBT though, so it might be worth while discussing a plan with your GP and asking him to get you on the waiting list. I'm confident you'll see a firm improvement with the citalopram and it might be good to have a goal to work towards.

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on with them, H :-)

KOKO23CAT
13-02-07, 14:53
Sandie,

i took cipralex for two years,it is quite similar to citalopram. i only had a few side effects and withdrawal was bearable! i think you a very lucky to have a GP who doesn't imediatley give you drugs mine prescribed them after i had a migraine when i stopped breastfeeding! although it does sound to me like you need some help with your sleep. but if the drugs didn't work before they might not now. when i was really bad i was given zopiclone and lorazepam just for a few days and it worked well. sometimes just one full night is enough to remind your body how to do it! From what i know about SSRIs they do take about 3 weeks to kick in so try not to freak out if you don't feel better straight away. Citalopram and Cipralex are the drugs with the least side effects and they are quite new as well so they are thought to be the best ones ( i think )

try not to concerntrate to hard on your meds just take them in the morning and forget about them for the day.

koko

''my life is full of catastrophies, most of which never happened''

sandie
13-02-07, 15:36
Hi everyone, and thanks for all your replies.

Had an absolutely rotten night's sleep last night - a total of about 3 1/2 hours sleep. Woke at 4 am with a sever adrenaline attack which still hasn't gone (its now 3.30 pm). I took my first propanalol at 5 am, and my second at 12.45 - they've helped a little.

Feel washed out and shivery, but as I only took one Citalopram this morning I'm assuming it's tiredness and not the effects of the med.
Still unsure whether it's best to take the Cit just before bedtime, or first thing in the morning. If they are likely to help with sleep, then the answer's obvious. But if they increase the insomnia then that's the last thing I want.

Would appreciate any comments about the effects of Cit on sleep patterns etc.

Thanks

Sandie

devon_guy
13-02-07, 20:03
Well I was on them last yr, on 20mg and they really helped me tremendously but they really did interfere with my sleep pattern turned me into a virtual insomniac! I came off them this time last yr and had terrible withdrawal effects, head zaps, feeling flu like.

Sadly my panic attacks came back badly so my gp put me back on citalopram but they didn't work so he upped them to 40mg which I hate and I want to come off them but am dreading that due to the last withdrawal problems. For some reason they aren't working this time so GP might try something else but I don't really want meds. I just want to be panic free and have a good nights sleep!

What's for you won't go by you

sandie
14-02-07, 09:29
Well guys, ANOTHER rotten night's sleep; a total of 3 1/2 hours. No more sleep after 2.40 am and afater an hour of tossing and turning decided to get up (was worried about disturbing my husband). Took pillow and a blanket downstairs and settled on sofa - even tried listening to my Sleep Like A Child hypnosis CD. Sleep just didn't happen, went back to bed for a cuddle at 6.30 am and now feel bl**dy dreadful.

I'm slipping back into the bad old days' sleep pattern, and I know I can't go on like this.

I'm really worried that the Cit is going to make me feel even worse than I do now (is this possible)? I'm taking the med in the morning and not last thing at night in the vague hope that it will lessen the risk of further disrupting sleep.

All I want to do is put my head on the pillow and sleep.

Sandie

Chopper
14-02-07, 11:44
Good mornin's Sandie,

I've not so good, good and very good personal experience of Citalopram you might find of interest.

First the not so good! I've had terrible side effects since taking 20mg a day one (over 18 months ago) and they've remained multiple and constant through gradual increases to my current 40mg a day.

But enough of this gloomy post, on to the better news. I've been using a lightbox since August 2006 to simulate natural sunlight and, placebo or not, it does seem to work - I sleep like a log every night!:D Check out my other posts on the topic for more info. It may just help regulate your sleep paterns again?

Now for the good news!:D I've persevered with Citalopram and have been gradually 'getting better', so much so that I'd say for the last 6 or 7 weeks I've been back to my old self.:D I'm no longer anxious, don't shake, sweat, clench my jaws, wring my hands, jump at sudden noises, snap at the kids, cower from the wife!

I don't want to use the word 'cured' but I'm really positive about my continued mental stability and know it's in part down to my perseverence with Citalopram.

I've no intention of reducing my current dosage until May/June at the earliest, getting a decent period of good mental health under my belt before I begin to contemplate doing so.

I hope this personal account was of interest and I look forward to reading your posts and, if I can, offering my advice on how to get through to the other side of our very common condition.

Happiness and light to all,
'Chopper'

Let us pray to Him who holds Life’s issues in his hands—
Him who formed the mighty globe, with all its thousand lands;
Girding them with seas and moutains, rivers deep, and strands,
To case a look of pity upon Kathleen-Ni-Houlahan!

James Clarence Mangan 1803 - 1849

Nel
20-02-07, 10:23
Hi Sandie,

How is it going with the citalopram hon? Hope you are managing to sleep better.

Nel xxx

lisa p
20-02-07, 21:23
Hi Sandie,

I am now on week 3 of citalpram and for the last week have not been able to get a good nights sleep, I take my tablet, 20 mg, mid morning, but every night I wake at 4.00 am and have a real struggle to get back off into a deep sleep. My ears seem to be over sensitive and I listen for every creak, and then panic that somebody has broken in!

I do feel better, the side effects have worn off, and I'm even having half a glass of wine in the evening! and the best thing is I've managed the school run twice this week and didnt feel too bad.

Well I'll be thinking of you in the early hours of the morning lol!

Hope this helps.

Take care

Lisax

Chopper
21-02-07, 09:27
Mornin' Sandie/LisaP,

I've had 'bad days' during the Autumn/Winter, every year since 2001, and this year have been using a lightbox to simulate natural light - I've got it on now in front of my screen - and even if it is a placebo I've found that unlike a lot of people on Citalopram (I'm on 40mg a day) I'm sleeping well at night. Mine is a Lumie Brightspark and cost, I think, £115.

Since the clocks went back I've been using the box for longer each day (from 07:45 until, probably, around 12:30 today) and going to bed earlier each night. But even if my days are getting shorter at least I'm sleeping longer.

dreamcatcher03
08-04-13, 21:32
I wanted to send out a positive message about taking citalopram, since they are very hard to find online. My story is.... After having my 3rd baby I suffered from postpartum depression. I was feeling very unmotivated very bland and very stuck in a rut. I felt like i couldnt connect with people and after 8 months i was not feeling any better. Everything seemed very overwhelming and i didnt want to do anything or go anywhere. I dont have a long history of mental health. I would like to think i am pretty normal ;) I was just suffering from this horrible depression after having my baby and it was not going away. I was completely stuck in a horrible rut. Finally i gave in and went to the Dr. I was prescribed 20mg of citalopram. The Dr. told me to start off taking half a pill and after a few days bump it up to the whole dose. When i got home i researched the medicine online and was very discouraged and scared to take the prescription based on what 99% of the people online were saying about citalopram. I was already tired and had no energy so reading about how it made everyone so tired and sick etc.... I was set on not taking the medicine. I felt like i couldnt handle feeling worse than i already was and was afraid the medicine would make me feel horrible. I am not someone who takes medicine the strongest thing i have ever taking was tylenol and Excedrin. I dont take medicine I have never had any need for medicine or pain pills etc... and the thought of stuff like citalopram or anything like that is so foreign to me. It wasnt until about 2 weeks after i received the prescription I remember driving and thinking something is wrong with my brain its like it just is broken and not working right. Like its lacking something and im not thinking and acting right because its broken. it sounds funny to say but thats really how i felt. So with that being said it got me thinking well if my "brain is broken" i need something to fix it and the medicing is supposed to fix my "lack of" in my brain, Right??? So i decided that im just gonna gove the medicine a try and pray it works because i was over feeling just out of it and wanted to pull myself back together. I decided since so many people had complaints i was going to start out very subtle. Instead of taking half a pill (10mg) as the Dr. had recommended i was going to start with 1/4 a pill (5mg). I took 1/4 a pill for 4 days and to my surprise i actually started feeling better right away. No side effects noting bad like everyone else had complained about. After 4 days i bumped it up to half a pill (10mg) I felt great almost like my normal self, still no side effects. I stayed on 10mg for maybe like a week or so than slowly bumped it up to 15mg than 20mg. Its been about a month so far on citalopram and i feel great. Still no side effects. I am so glad i started taking this medicine. I wanted to share my story with everyone since it is almost impossible to find positive comments about it. I am SOOO very happy I gave in and started taking this medicine. I feel like i am back to my normal self. I am not overwhelmed any more I am able to connect with people again I dont feel like staying in the house. I want to give the person who created this pill a big smooch because it brought me back. I really missed myself because i was gone for a while. I had checked out "as that saying goes". But i am back and happy to be back. Also ....I have started exercising again Im eating healthier and have lost 5lbs so far. I dont feel like any weight i have lost is from the medicine but i do give it credit because i now have enough motivation and focus to exercise and eat right. This pill is great!! I plan on taking this for a total of 6 months than weening myself off. I hope my story helps. xoxo