PDA

View Full Version : So strange I can't even think of a title...

mico
12-02-07, 15:26
So, the early hours of this morning I found myself beginning to wake up - screaming.

Well, I wasn't quite screaming, but the supressed moans that come out under the influence of sleep paralysis when what you really want to do, is scream.

I was having the strangest dream. I don't quite remember exactly what was happening and nor do I want to, but it had something to do with deciphering a word. This wasn't your usual scary dream where you get chased by big purple monsters, I was feeling an incredible need to figure out a word. That word had something to do with the mysteries of the universe. The key to life, perhaps. I don't know, but I needed to know it.

Since I couldn't figure it out, I started to get flustered. I felt like I was going into meltdown and this was my only saving grace.

I didn't figure it out. I woke up. My brain had been scrambled. At least that is what I thought. Replacing the usual logical tree of thoughts that occupy my mind and form a requirement for my daily functioning was noise. It's like I couldn't figure out the word in my dream because I couldn't figure anything out. At which point I was pretty sure I'd lost it. Intense fear urged me to call an ambulance/wake someone up/raid the cupboards on the off-chance I may find some valium. To cut a long story short, I was freaked out!

I didn't do any of the above. I came to the conclusion that I was having a panic attack. It's not the first time I've been woken gripped by fear and disorientation. I tried my best to pull myself together, breathe, then I read a chapter from a book to distract my mind from the original dilemna that woke me up.

I'm no stranger to panic attacks. But the fear was almost unbearable. Had it of been ever so slightly worse, or continued ever so slightly longer, I could have done somethng stupid just to escape it. At the time, I was 100% sure I'd lost my mind.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences? If so, are you surrounded by padded walls? Am I going to find myself walking through city centers in nothing but womens underwear quoting passages from the Old Testament?

Or, should I put my feet up, have a cup of tea and forget about it?

'Security is mostly superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding Danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.'

normalwisdom
12-02-07, 15:31
Hi I have had similar experience in the past I think its when I go to sleep thinking about things, I can't settle then dream about them.

To answer your question I am pretty normal....whatever that is no padded cells here.

Put the kettle on and make the tea...no sugars for me:D

Steph

Piglet
12-02-07, 16:07
Yep stick the kettle on for me too mate - it all sounded pretty flippin unpleasent but that's what panic attacks are - flippin unpleasent and the half asleep ones are amongst the most horriblest!!

I take a pringle with my tea there Mico old bean! :D

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

mico
12-02-07, 16:57
Thanks.

Admin these days, huh, Nigel? Couldn't think of a better person..

It's not so much the dream that bothers me. Believe me, I have no intention of trying to remember what it was about or what I needed to know.

When I woke up - and I'm talking after a good 10 minutes - I literally had to start counting just to prove that I could hold a basic cognitive process. Furthermore, it almost surprised me that I could.

That said, I've been thinking along similar lines as yourself. I do get the impression that I was in some way trying to figure out some depply repressed thought, brought on by stress that I'm under lately.

Very odd, very scary, yet strangely interesting.

Pringles are on the coffee table.

'Security is mostly superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.'

davidthegnome
13-02-07, 16:33
I had a very similar experience just a few nights ago myself. No padded walls yet :)

Basically one of my big fears has been losing control/acting or going nuts. One night I had this dream that I can barely recall, but I do remember that at one point I was acting really mean and bizarre and crazy. Later on in that dream I recall making a grand post on some other forum where I was actually telling people the secrets of the Universe. Wish I could remember what those secrets were, maybe it stuff and nonsense, but it would be neat to remember it.

Waking up was really scary because then I was afraid I had really lost it or was losing it. I had to do a few rounds of EFT and take some lorazepam before I chilled out. I still think of the dream occasionally, but it doesn't really scare me anymore, because it was just that, a dream. I may have woken up with a panic attack, but that's happened before, so big deal right?

Yeah, my suggestion is to drink some tea and forget about it. Some people write down their dreams upon waking, I do that, but generally only with the good dreams that I really want to remember. I think lots of us have weird dreams like this.

Good luck and God bless you,

Dave

mico
13-02-07, 20:05
Yeah, thanks. Freaked me out yesterday but I've pretty much forgotten about it now. All's good.

Another cup of tea me thinks.

'Security is mostly superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.'

clickaway
13-02-07, 20:19
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
Am I going to find myself walking through city centers in nothing but womens underwear quoting passages from the Old Testament?

<div align="right">Originally posted by mico - 12 February 2007 : 15:26:24</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Now, where did I put that camera? :D

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Phill2
14-02-07, 01:34
Hi Mico
I often have dreams where I'm trying to work out minute details of something.
I had thought it was just me up til now.
I don't know the answer but at least I know I'm not alone.
Thanks for the post
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

trac67
14-02-07, 10:22
Me thinks I am now going to be having nightmares after reading about Mico walking around in woman underwear quoting the bible.......leave the camera Ray, seeing it the once would be enough for anyone mate lol.

Glad your feeling a bit better now Mico, like I always say to you, you think far tooooo much and always try to reason everything honey, go with the flow it is so much calmer and easier :D

Love

Trac xx

'Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'

Trev
14-02-07, 11:39
Hi Mico,

you've always struck me as a very logical person. Waking suddenly in the middle of such an intense dream is bound to make anybody initially "fuzzy" at best, and completely "freaked" at worst. Your reaction to this fuzziness probably provoked an immediate panic as you are so used to being able to reason things with logic but in that moment were unable to do so. Once the panic had kicked in that was it.

Just a thought....

It only takes a fraction of a second to provoke a panic as you know and when initiated in an already disorientated state it would seem to me that it is logical the resulting panic is likely to be more extreme and harder to manage than we are used to.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote"> Am I going to find myself walking through city centers in nothing but womens underwear quoting passages from the Old Testament? </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
At least it'll be warm. Just don't stray into the high street at this time of year. Bit nippy in a basque..........or so I hear!!! :D

Get the kettle on mate and when you do figure out the meaning of Life please let me know. I could arrange a good book deal as well. :D

Cheers,
Trev

mico
14-02-07, 16:01
That was the first panic attack I've had in maybe 3 or 4 years. I must be slipping.

Happened to me once before in the middle of the night. Confused the bejeebus out of me then too. Woke up in a pool of sweat, jumped out of bed, freezing cold (literally had to dry myself with a towel...and no, I didn't have an accident), starting putting some clothes on, yet I had no idea why. I just started doing stuff without knowing the purpose behind it then began questioning it after I'd started.

No harm done. It made for an unusual night. Got to have a change of routine once in a while, keeps you alert.

Ray, put the camera away.