PDA

View Full Version : Lump in side?

Katiej36
28-09-15, 15:54
I'm wondering if I could be cheeky and ask anyone to feel beneath their ribcage and press further in on their right side and see if they can feel a moveable lump?(which I suspect is an organ) I can only feel it whilst standing or sitting upright.

This is something that's been worrying me since my HA has flared up and I've been prodding all different parts of myself, so it may or may not have been there before? I wish I knew :( I have mentioned it to my doctor in passing, and she only palpated my abdomen quickly and whilst I was laid down so it was retracted! She said all she can feel is muscle. Through my research I've found that some people have had this worry also and have gone for an ultrasound only to find out it's just their kidney or liver that they are prodding, because on the right hand side the liver does push the kidney out further hence it feeling different to the left side. But I've also found things such as bowel cancer, and enlarged kidneys or liver which have scared the sh** out of me and make me struggle to believe it's normal. I'm constantly prodding my abdomen which makes it feel numb and tight, making me believe there's a problem in there even more! I'm trying to refrain from going doctors for reassurance this time. I'm only 18, I shouldn't be like this 😔

Thankyou in advance for any replies, Katie x

Katiej36
30-09-15, 12:30
Anyone?:(

white1989
30-09-15, 14:03
Hi Katie,

I can totally relate to this, I'm in my 20s and have awful HA, its very life controlling! You have to try and learn to trust the doctors, I find that I read stories online loads about doctors missing things etc but for every 1 story like this there are probably 500,000 people that have visited a doctor and got a correct diagnosis. If your doctor couldn't feel anything then they are almost certainly right! Do you mind me asking what sort of a lump you can feel? Large, small, hard, soft? Are you in any pain?

I'm constantly feeling lumps in my body, probably a new one everyday, yesterday I read a story about someone young being diagnosed with bone cancer in their shoulder and all I was doing all night was prodding my shoulder, feeling the whole area and comparing it to the other side for hours (ive suffered chest pain for a while so am constantly looking for a fatal diagnosis lol) my boyfriend had to make me stop before I physically drove myself mad!! So don't worry, I totally emphasise and know how you feel, but I'm certain you have nothing to worry about xx

pj67
30-09-15, 23:47
Hi. I felt a moveable lump in my right side a few years ago. I completely panicked and I think I even went to A/E. The doctor couldn't really feel anything and like you it could only be felt when I was standing up. I eventually got a kidney X-ray standing up and lying down and it showed that my right kidney dropped lower when I was upright. I think it's called a dropped kidney or kidney ptosis. I can still feel it and can move it about but it goes back into place when I'm lying down.