PDA

View Full Version : chest pain and itchy skin

white1989
29-09-15, 09:38
As from my previous posts I've had chest pain for nearly 2 years in different strains.

I've had multiple tests but all have proved normal, so I've just been told to ignore it and get on with it. I've recently noticed that I'm getting pain in my chest that is actually making me feel nauseated, last night I had to lay down on the sofa because the pain and aching was making me feel physically sick. ( I don't know if my anxiety about the pain exaggerated that feeling)

The thing I'm concerned about is that I have started to notice the skin on my chest becomes very itchy when the pain comes, and last night I scratched it so much that it became a raised lump and now I have a horrible sore red rash this morning. This has happened a few times, and after googling (I know I shouldn't but sometimes can't control myself) I saw that chest pain and itchy skin can be a form of cancer, so now I'm in panic overdrive.

Just to add as well, the pain usually gets worse as the day progresses, and often I get a feeling of someone applying immense pressure to my collar bones/like there's a lead weight pulling my chest down. Hard to describe but hopefully that gives a vague idea. I get periods of time where I get little or no chest pain at all, and at other times it is very persistent, like at the moment.

Can anyone shed any light on this at all?

Thanks in advance.

PlantsForHire
12-01-16, 23:05
If the tests you speak of were to rule out anything related to you cardiovascular health then good, you've ruled that out.

I get chest pains all the time from gas/bloating and muscle tension from anxiety. However, I've never experienced an itchy rash before along with the pain. It's hard to say whether or not your symptoms are related because we're not doctors on here so if you want to get it cleared by a doctor then go ahead and do so. Try using some itch creams for the rash and know that you and Google are not medical professionals and that searching is the worst thing to do.

The chest pains you describe sound anxiety related and the itchiness could be from a number of things (bug bite, dry skin from the cold, itchiness caused by scratching too much, etc.).

Try some breathing exercises. Lie down and get comfortable and breathe in through your nose for 3 seconds, hold for 2 seconds, and release for 3 seconds.

I hope I helped a little bit. I'm still struggling with health anxiety as well and it's a long journey worth traveling so let's travel it together. Comforting thoughts.

Justanutter
13-01-16, 11:30
White, I have the exact same symptoms. I have almost constant daily chest aches, twinges, feeling of a dull ache at the top of my chest. I have had two clear ecgs while the 'ache/twinges/ were there but normal. I get it worse first thing in the morning and after work. It feels like somebody is grabbing me by the shoulders and the awful ache goes right through my whole shoulders and into my chest terrifying the life out of me! I also get pains in the inside of my wrists with it and tops of arms. I am very tense and suffer awful anxiety but can't convince myself that I am not about to drop with a heart attack as it makes me panic. I sit hunched over a pc all day as well which can't help.

I think the itching might be just a coincidence and a separate issue and may not be related to the pain.

PlantsForHire
15-01-16, 02:33
I think anxiety really makes the mind think normal bodily sensations that you didn't notice before much more intense. Like if I think about chest pain, I get chest pain because I either involuntarily tense up that muscle to think I'm in pain or my body really makes me think I'm in pain. Psychological pain can feel very real and we have to be strong mentally to overcome such pain. A good way to overcome pain for me is mindfulness. Focus (REALLY focus: if you're thinking of the pain you're not focusing! Clear your mind) on an object in the room (door, desk, clock, wall color, anything) and just think of random things relating to that and ask questions. Hope this helps.