PDA

View Full Version : Colonoscopy

missykat
29-09-15, 17:24
I have my colonoscopy Monday at 9. Have the kleen prep sachets to drink etc . I'll be on the day ward. As soon as I check in will they do any bloods etc? Drips? I have no idea what to expect at all and really rather anxious about it all

nomorepanic
29-09-15, 17:38
No they don't do bloods or put you on a drip as a rule

Have a read of the posts in this forum and it will tell you all you need to know about the procedure.

Good luck

missykat
29-09-15, 17:40
Thank you x

missykat
06-10-15, 17:46
Had my colonoscopy, everything fine just internal haemorhides which they injected . Had a conscious sedation through an iv . Had a bad reaction to it and felt my heart speed up and felt like my whole body was shaking ! Just wondering if anybody else experienced the same ?

KayeS
06-10-15, 18:33
Ive got a colonoscopy on Monday and I think I'm gonna pass on the sedation for this very reason :(

ilovetrees
07-10-15, 18:27
I had one a year ago and didn't have the sedation. That meant I could leave as soon as I'd eaten and drank.

I was very worried about the chance of pain but I have to say that I didn't feel any at all. I just rolled over a couple or three times and they tried to distract me by going on about if I thought that the nurse who was sat down with me was attractive.

KayeS
07-10-15, 19:51
I had one a year ago and didn't have the sedation. That meant I could leave as soon as I'd eaten and drank.

I was very worried about the chance of pain but I have to say that I didn't feel any at all. I just rolled over a couple or three times and they tried to distract me by going on about if I thought that the nurse who was sat down with me was attractive.

I'm not gonna have sedation on Monday... I'm too paranoid about a bad reaction :/

How did it feel during the colonoscopy? I'm not too bothered by pain if I know it's normal to feel it, but did you have any sensation while it was going on? Would be good to hear what it's like before I have mine :)

Also I've been given the stuff to drink the day before... What can I expect in regards to that? How often did you go after drinking it and did it stop by the next morning?

ilovetrees
07-10-15, 22:04
TBH, I can't remember the sensations, probably because there weren't any. It was in before I knew it and I didn't even realise that she'd banded a couple of haemorrhoids.

I had Moviprep. It was something like a couple of litres an hour apart. It didn't taste great but it wasn't too bad either. I downed the second lot in a couple of minutes.

Take it from me, you need to be in the bathroom from the word go :ohmy: It only took a few minutes to have an effect. Gurgling stomach, etc. And don't think it will be just wind or you will be sorry :D

I literally sat in the ensuite for hours. I propped up the iPad and watched several movies on Netflix.

Once I was pretty sure I was done, I just laid on the bed with a blanket on and slept for a while.

Pepperpot
07-10-15, 22:55
I had a sigmoidoscopy and no sedation but my heart rate went all to pot and I felt really ill, hot and like I was going to pass out.

KayeS
07-10-15, 23:01
TBH, I can't remember the sensations, probably because there weren't any. It was in before I knew it and I didn't even realise that she'd banded a couple of haemorrhoids.

I had Moviprep. It was something like a couple of litres an hour apart. It didn't taste great but it wasn't too bad either. I downed the second lot in a couple of minutes.

Take it from me, you need to be in the bathroom from the word go :ohmy: It only took a few minutes to have an effect. Gurgling stomach, etc. And don't think it will be just wind or you will be sorry :D

I literally sat in the ensuite for hours. I propped up the iPad and watched several movies on Netflix.

Once I was pretty sure I was done, I just laid on the bed with a blanket on and slept for a while.

Blimey... lol. I think I'm taking the same thing as you did... I start it at 5pm the day before, and my appointment is 7:30am the next day. Will it have stopped by then???

---------- Post added at 23:01 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------

I had a sigmoidoscopy and no sedation but my heart rate went all to pot and I felt really ill, hot and like I was going to pass out.

Do you think it was because of the anxiety of having it done?

Pepperpot
07-10-15, 23:33
Blimey... lol. I think I'm taking the same thing as you did... I start it at 5pm the day before, and my appointment is 7:30am the next day. Will it have stopped by then???

---------- Post added at 23:01 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------

Do you think it was because of the anxiety of having it done?

Not at all cos at this point I hadn't even begun my horrible anxiety/panic attack journey. The nurse said sometimes it hits a nerve (or something similar). Was meant to go back for a colonoscopy (as the sigmoidoscopy is just the lower part I think) but I felt so ill for days after I couldn't face it x

KayeS
07-10-15, 23:51
Not at all cos at this point I hadn't even begun my horrible anxiety/panic attack journey. The nurse said sometimes it hits a nerve (or something similar). Was meant to go back for a colonoscopy (as the sigmoidoscopy is just the lower part I think) but I felt so ill for days after I couldn't face it x

Ah I really hope that doesn't happen to me :(

Pepperpot
07-10-15, 23:52
Unlikely if you have a sedative I would think. I was aware of what they were doing and I didn't like it. However on the plus side it didn't hurt lol. x

KayeS
08-10-15, 00:33
Unlikely if you have a sedative I would think. I was aware of what they were doing and I didn't like it. However on the plus side it didn't hurt lol. x

I'm too scared to have a sedative... I actually don't mind pain as long as I know what's causing it and it's nothing to worry about lol

MyNameIsTerry
08-10-15, 07:19
I'm too scared to have a sedative... I actually don't mind pain as long as I know what's causing it and it's nothing to worry about lol

Well, it's going to be a pipe and an enthusiastic doctor mate!

I've had the signoidoscopy to check out my roids years ago and that wasn't too bad but it just felt weird from the pressure when they pumped it up.

My GP was a straight talking kind but very good. Senior partner. I remember he asking "are you gay?" and me replying "no, I'm not that brave" :roflmao: She just laughed and explained they had to ask such things when it comes to that area.

KayeS
08-10-15, 11:36
Well, it's going to be a pipe and an enthusiastic doctor mate!

I've had the signoidoscopy to check out my roids years ago and that wasn't too bad but it just felt weird from the pressure when they pumped it up.

My GP was a straight talking kind but very good. Senior partner. I remember he asking "are you gay?" and me replying "no, I'm not that brave" :roflmao: She just laughed and explained they had to ask such things when it comes to that area.

LOL!! There's probably a lot of gay men who aren't even that brave haha

Obviously I'm not relishing the thought of having it done but after having an endoscopy at the beginning of the year with no sedation, I figure this can't be worse? I mean... there's no gag reflex on that end right lol

MyNameIsTerry
08-10-15, 23:15
There's no gag reflex (I think the women's mags would have covered it long ago :winks:) but with my sig it did make me feel like I wanted to go when they "extracted" and there was a fair bit of moisture so it felt like I needed to wipe a lot which was a pain when I was walking back to work.