PDA

View Full Version : low dose valium and flying

sparklypickle
29-09-15, 20:26
Hi all,

I am flying long-haul in a couple of days and have some 2 mg valium that was prescribed the last time I flied transatlantically. I know that the drug affects me really strongly, so I only need 0.5 or 1mg (half or quarter of a pill) to calm me down, and any more will basically put me to sleep.

I have read online about benzos raising the risk of DVT due to lack of muscle movement - but at such a low dose would that be a problem? silly worrying about taking an anti-anxiety tablet isn't it?!

I had a mild head trauma a week and a bit ago (fell off a horse), and was worried that it might be dangerous to take benzos, but Dr and pharmacist say I should be fine. I'm freaking out with health anxiety about being ill on the plane...I do have some genuine but not dangerous health issues, they are worrying me a lot and I did see the dr yesterday to try and put my mind at ease.

I've never taken valium on a flight before, only before or after, but this time I think I will need it because it is a > 10hour flight...

I guess I'm just after some (more) reassurance ;)

Torimori
29-09-15, 21:10
Hi, I'm sure you'll be fine with 0.5-1mg for your flight. I can take up to 2.5mg with little effect and I was prescribed 5mg tablets for a dental appointment (I hate the dentist and needed a lot of work doing).

I remember when I went to get them from the GP, he said you wouldn't believe the amount of people he prescribes diazepam for, for their flights and that the summer months are so busy with requests for this. It seems that it is very common so I really wouldn't worry.

I worry every time I take a tablet (AD or diazepam, or even paracetamol) but have to try and overcome my anxiety and trust that they are there to help me.

I hope you have an amazing holiday :)

sparklypickle
29-09-15, 21:28
Thanks for the reply :) The only reason I'm more worried than usual about taking valium is that I saw a different Dr to my usual one and she seemed to think I should be taking beta blockers rather than diazepam...but I have low blood pressure, so that seems like a bad idea to me.

I think I'll take a quarter tablet the night beforei fly to get Myself rested and see if I can cope with the flight without any pills. Just, being trapped in a flying can for so long...eugh..we shall see. I know lots of people take tablets on planes, but as you know, some of us are fixated on the very small percentage chance of something going wrong!

Haha, my boyfriend thinks I'm mental for worrying about taking paracetamol....I always try to get away with just one tablet when I know the proper dose is two.

CeeCeeCee
29-09-15, 21:34
Take half the night before the flight then half or one full one a few hours before. That's what my doc said to do. I will help and I'm sure it won't knock you out. Unless you are very very petite. They are there to calm you, doc wouldn't give them if they were going to harm you in any way, trust your doctor! Have a good trip :-)

Torimori
29-09-15, 21:55
If diazepam work for you there's no problems with them at all, as long as they are only used in the short term. Totally agree that half or one the night before would hopefully allow you to be rested before your flight, you may not need to take another.

My husband does exactly the same! If I have a headache I'll put off taking anything and he will pester me until I give in and take just one too! It is just the 1% possibility of something going wrong isn't it that we worry about. I think we need to trust more in the fact that the Drs wouldn't prescribe us something that would harm us.

Take care

sparklypickle
29-09-15, 23:07
thank you both, that is reassuring.
I have only ever taken half a tablet once two days in a row, so pretty much no risk of addiction there. never had ill-effects, just calms me and makes me a bit drowsy. I am on the small-side (working on fixing that) so I won't take a full tablet unless half has zero effect.

yeah, trying to explain to a significant other that you ALWAYS think you are going to have ALL the rare side-effects and possibly die from, I don't know, pretty much anything medicine or health-related, is a tough one - you'd think we were being totally irrational or something...I know most commonly prescribed drugs are very safe, and a normal person wouldn't think twice about it but my stupid paranoid primitive brain doesn't understand...I think its time for some therapy for this!!

unfortunately my boyfriend is ashamed that I have anxiety and thinks I should just 'get on with it' ...yeah...

well its been almost 24 hours since i last thought I was dying so its been a good day ;D, I'm determined to try and be positive and have a good holiday (without any meltdowns)

Greenman50
29-09-15, 23:15
Cant see a problem at all had valium many times 2 mg ,( hardly touches me ) but o,m not exactly small ...lol..

You will be fine , just knowing you have them if needed is a massive help :)

See how you go , for me they take 20 - 30 minutes to take effect so if you are worried about the flight itself ....take one 30 minutes before .

I,m sure we are all different but 20 - 30 minutes was what it took for full effect .

Best wishes

x

sparklypickle
29-09-15, 23:19
Thanks greenman,

I'm not so worried about the flying bit, planes are ok , it's more about getting there on time, and the fact that there might be contagious sick people on the plane...(I know how tragic that sounds..) 20-30 mins sounds about right and carrying a packet of tablets definitely works on mild symptoms!