PDA

View Full Version : extremely concerned about brain tumor

so_scared
30-09-15, 20:50
hi--I'm new to this forum. I've been plagued by health anxiety for some time (with a particular fear of cancer) but this time is the absolute worst. I have been suffering from severe dizziness/vertigo for the past 8 days, it is so bad it is sort of like being on a boat or underwater but is difficult to describe. Almost more concerning is that I have blurry vision, especially when looking at the computer screen. I NEVER had either symptom before. I have mild headaches, that last throughout the day. I am SO, SO worried I have a brain tumor. I went to the doctor on Monday and he told me to come back Thursday if I wasn't better. I suspect, since I'm not, they will order a head scan and I will find out the terrible truth--that I have a tumor. I can't think about anything else and am drowning in fear. any help, advice, etc. would be most welcome

DYLCC15
30-09-15, 21:22
Hi, so_scared!

I totally understand where you're coming from with this whole brain tumor HA fear. It got so bad that I had to take the entire week off before I graduated school, and went to the emergency room. I had numerous tests done and they all put it down to anxiety. I swore that there was something wrong with me. Are you an avid googler? Well, during and as of late, my HA has been much worse because of my constant tendency to look up things. It honestly made things worse. Right now, I have a new HA symptom, blurred vision, and my brain tumor fears are back. Let me just preface by saying that I have had a brain scan that came up clean, and for a while, my symptoms completely disappeared. But now, I feel as if they are back and that fear is there again. If you want to get a scan to get some reassurance, go for it! But it is up to you to decide whether or not you'll accept the medical that you don't have one.

Anxiety is the king of mimic-ing diseases.

Hope this helps.

Dylan

Also, recently I went to visit an optometrists who botched my eye exam twice and that set me off and I feel like my vision has gotten worse because of it. I really do think it is because of my HA. I went to a third eye appt at a different place, to which the guy said my eyes were completely healthy, and I got glasses. Because I started to overanalyze my vision, I now feel as if the glasses I got aren't strong enough. But I believe this is because of me constantly focusing on it.

dyl(:

so_scared
30-09-15, 22:56
Hi Dylan--thanks so much for your reply. I actually read some of your posts while searching this topic. I do hope this is anxiety--I notice that the blurred vision issue becomes MUCH worse when I'm thinking about it/freaking out it's a brain tumor. I went to an opthamologist last week and he said my vision is fine but I may have dry eye. Eye drops don't change things much though which concerns me, along with the fact I have had extreme vertigo for over a week now. I appreciate your reply though, it has helped to calm me down.

DYLCC15
30-09-15, 23:11
You are so welcome. I still have blurred vision, and after three optometrist appts all saying things were fine, I still can't seem to shake that something is wrong. I literally put on my new glasses and said wow these are nice, but then a minute later I was overanalyzing my vision and I swore that something wasn't right. I think being hyper aware of everything does make things worse.

I will just give you some insight on all the tests I've had done because of HA.

I had 2 eks, a heart monitor, numerous blood pressure tests, a ct of head and my brain- one of each with and without contrast, 4 blood work ups, 2 emergency room visits, and countless doctos appts. All reassure me that everything is fine, but I don't believe them.

You have to be able to accept reassurance in order for it to work. I've been told this by many people on here and I know it is hard. I am slowly starting to accept that this may be anxiety but I do get that this is hard.

Feel free to pm me if you want to talk any more about your HA. I'll be glad to provide some insight because it is my favourite thing about myself (NOT!!!!),

Regards,

Dylan (: