PDA

View Full Version : Radius of movement

ana
01-10-15, 13:35
Hello everyone,

over the course of 14 years of suffering from panic attacks, I have been gradually making my radius of movement narrower and narrower: I only go to places that aren't too far away from where I live, and even though I am comfortable in my safe zone, I feel very stuck, and I hate myself for having imposed this prison on myself when I want to go further away from home and travel.

Last week, my orthodontist asked me to go to a clinic (which is on the other side of the city I live in) for a minor medical procedure. I am absolutely terrified! I haven't been to that part of the city in over 4 years, and I dread all those unfamiliar roads and streets. If I think about having someone drive me to the location, I panic, as being a passenger is the worst for me, and I always panic. If I opt for public transport, I'm worried that I might get a panic attack on the bus and will need to get off, or worse, that the bus stop I'd be dropped off at will be far away from the clinic meaning that I'll have to walk and potentially get lost in an unfamiliar neighbourhood. I'm thinking about driving myself there, but I'd still feel uncomfortable as I've never driven to the area before.

I know I'm overthinking this, but it's troubling me, and I can't seem to get it off my mind. I can choose when to go in, so maybe I can manage doing it on my day off on Tuesday, but I'd much rather not do it at all, which isn't an option, of course. Any thoughts on how to make this easier for me?
:flowers:

sial72
01-10-15, 14:30
Totally understand you...my suggestion would be to read Claire Weekes xx

dally
02-10-15, 07:12
I could have written this post. My biggest fear is 'havng' to go to hospital/dctor/dentist/visit immediate family in hospital etc. Because my agoraphobia has limited my travel radius to about 30 miles.
But to 'HAVE' to go for health reasons add extra stress.
I have a problem taking meds, but on this occasion I wud ask your doc for propanalol to stop adrenalin, it is given to people taking their driving test, so you would be able to drive there by urself

ana
02-10-15, 19:38
Thank you for your advice. Sial, I've looked for an audio book by Claire Weekes, and so far, I like what I hear. However, training my brain to think 'so what if I have a panic attack' is going to take some time, I reckon, as I have a fear of experiencing panic attacks and embarrassing myself in public...

Dally, I'm still on medication, but I take a minimum dose as I've been withdrawing... I hate having to HAVE to do something as, like you say, it adds extra stress.

I wish I could just pull out of this whole thing and not go, but if I end up surviving this trip, I want a medal lol

---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

Also, Dally, do you try and expand your radius of movement? What do you do when you want or need to go somewhere that is out of your safe zone?