PDA

View Full Version : Please help, scared of DVT (blood clot)

megs18
02-10-15, 15:32
I am a 20 year old woman who has been struggling with health anxiety for about 6 months now. I don't smoke, try to do yoga or jog every day (probably more like every 3 days though), and am not overweight.

I took a long flight on Sept 1 and was on an all day bus tour yesterday. About two hours before the tour was over, I started feeling a burning pain on the side of my thigh. It was worse when I walked. I am on birth control pills, was pretty immobile all day, and have a family history of blood clots so I went to A&E as soon as the tour was over.

The pain I was feeling (and still feel) is like nothing I've ever felt before. It isn't terribly bad, just very odd. It sometimes feels achey, other times burning or hot. It's radiated down to my calf sometimes, but mostly is in my thigh. This is all only in my right leg. I don't see swelling or discoloration.

The nurses at the hospital checked my vitals (blood pressure, blood oxygen levels, temp.). Everything was fine except I had a slightly high temp. They felt all the way up and down my leg and I guess didn't see anything of concern. Because of my risk factors (traveling a lot, BC pills, family history) they did a d dimer blood test. The test came back negative for a blood clot. Since they consider me low risk (although I still don't really understand how I'm low risk), that test was enough to rule out a blood clot so they didn't do an ultrasound.

The nurse said it's probably muscular from being on a cramped bus all day, but it doesn't feel muscular at all to me. It's so weird feeling. Like a sharp burning pain that moves around and sometimes feels achey.

I know the chances of me having deep vein thrombosis is small, especially after getting that normal test result, but I am very concerned because apparently people have experienced false negatives with this test before (although I was reading studies on the d dimer and apparently false negatives for low risk patients are very, very rare, like in 2% of cases). My boyfriend thinks it might be a pinched nerve, but I don't know.

Someone please help me!

2Anxious
02-10-15, 17:32
This is currently one of my worries. My leg is slightly swollen but no pain. It's the not knowing that kills us (metaphorically). I just wish I could walk in to a hospital and get an ultrasound done, stress free. The thought of making an appointment with my GP (who I have little faith in), then possibly going for blood tests, then waiting, then if that comes back positive having a ultrasound done, then waiting again. It's just depressing to think about.

Anyway, enough of my rant. I really think you should be seen by a doctor and not just a nurse. If I had pain I'd definitely just suck it up and go to a doctor ASAP. The test coming back negative is a good sign but you don't really have anything to lose by getting it looked at again.

megs18
02-10-15, 18:41
2anxious, I am currently studying in Scotland for the semester so it's difficult to figure out payment stuff with my insurance. Luckily your first NHS visit is free, so my A&E visit was free (but took 3 and a half hours of waiting). I'm in a kind of small town, so I'm not sure if they do ultrasounds at their small community hospital. If it keeps bothering me tomorrow I'll go.

I would suggest you going to A&E (or your GP). The test they did on me is very accurate for ruling out DVT in low risk patients (like 97% accurate), but you know how HA is and I'm still worried.

Pepperpot
02-10-15, 20:42
2anxious, I am currently studying in Scotland for the semester so it's difficult to figure out payment stuff with my insurance. Luckily your first NHS visit is free, so my A&E visit was free (but took 3 and a half hours of waiting). I'm in a kind of small town, so I'm not sure if they do ultrasounds at their small community hospital. If it keeps bothering me tomorrow I'll go.

I would suggest you going to A&E (or your GP). The test they did on me is very accurate for ruling out DVT in low risk patients (like 97% accurate), but you know how HA is and I'm still worried.

Surely it's free? https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/healthcare/help-with-health-costs/nhs-charges-for-people-from-abroad/

megs18
02-10-15, 20:58
Pepperpot, they told at A&E that my first visit is free. I'm guessing that means more visits are not. Also, there is not A&E where I am, so I'm not sure if going to the community hospital just to talk to a doctor is free or not.

Pepperpot
02-10-15, 22:15
Pepperpot, they told at A&E that my first visit is free. I'm guessing that means more visits are not. Also, there is not A&E where I am, so I'm not sure if going to the community hospital just to talk to a doctor is free or not.
You wouldn't be able to do that here. You would have to go via a normal GP, or go to A&E. You know what you should do, is ring up the Citizens Advice and ask them if it's free. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ Look on here to find your local branch. Failing that, we have NHS 111 where you can ring for advice (call 111 off ya mobile). x