PDA

View Full Version : have a bad cold.can this spike your anxiety

gregcool
03-10-15, 11:36
Hi guys..all bloody week iv had a realy bad cold..head ache neck ache.streeming eyes and very bad chesty cough..it hurts my neck and head and throat every time i cough...can having a cold make anxiety worse,because all this week i feel high anxiety and low...anyone eles got a cold...also i have found out from my doctor that they say i have adjustment disorder not depression..this is realy getting to me as iv read up on it and adjustment disorder is a short tearm illness..wheres iv suffered like this for nearly 10 years..so why the hell do they say this is what i have...

MyNameIsTerry
03-10-15, 13:39
That's right, Greg, adjustment disorders last up to 6 months with the exception of one type which is allowed for two years. After these end periods they are supposed to reclassify to another form of disorder and use a Z code list to specify elements of the old adjustment disorder so that they are attached to a longer term disorder e.g. You could have a form of depression with a Z code that indicates problems with social settings or maintaining daily routines, for instance.

So, perhaps it was the initial problem. Suggest pinning them down over the short term issue.

Rennie1989
03-10-15, 14:57
This answers your question regarding colds and anxiety.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=174623

gregcool
03-10-15, 16:15
Well im going back to my doctors next week.im not happy with this..saying i have adjustment disorder..iv been like this for years,not short tearm..what the hell are they talking about...i guess my cold is making me feel worse,although im starting to feel a bit better now.feel like my cold is getting better now

MyNameIsTerry
04-10-15, 04:47
Colds get discussed on here sometimes. Some people say it spikes them, some say the opposite. When I was relapsing and I finally went off work, I had a cold about a week later and can't tell you the relief in symptoms it provided. I remember Oosh mentioning this was the same for him and how he thought it was tied into endorphine release or something. I can't say I understand it.

They may just have diagnosed your initial disorder to understand what happened and to allow them to work out any Z codes. Maybe your GP has got a bit mixed up? An adjustment disorder sounds a possibility from what you've said in the past, but not nowadays, only it's remnants. At least thats what their diagnostic manual says they should be doing anyway.