PDA

View Full Version : d dimer blood clots really need reasuring

tiredofthis14
03-10-15, 18:45
i went to the hospital a week today with palps they did all heart checks and a d dimer to check for clots had this test done countless times last yr when i was having a bad time and it was always negative...this time was positive cut off of 230 mine was 310 ...got sent for emergency ct scan of chest came back clear
was put on celexane for 3 days until leg doppler as one of my legs bit more swollen then other which isnt completlly new its always been a little bigger
had the full left leg scanned on the monday ...clear....

came home couldnt sleep eat just sat in constant state of aneixty as to why suddenly my test had been positive
spoke to my gp who said it can be positive for lots of different reasons but i just dont get why it is positive this time

next day i couldnt cope anymore so i went back to hospital as leg was hurting they re did the d dimer and again was raised their cut off was 243 mine came back 263 so not as raised but still raised he wanted a full scan done of both legs but radiology refused as they said it was pointless
so i had my left leg rescanned but from groin to knee this time ...again clear

today my other leg has started hurting! i just dont get why all the other times it was negative yet this time its positive twice i cant sleep with worry that they have missed something i cant go back to hospital again because they just think im crazy has anyone had a positive d dimer on here before but no clot?

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

would really apreciate any response

sial72
03-10-15, 19:31
What they actually say about? Do they want to do a follow-up or did they just discharge you without explanation as to causes etc?

Holliee
03-10-15, 19:54
I had raised D-dimer back in July with chest pains, X-ray and chest CT all clear so discharged just like that.
Haven't really considered it since but I was told it can be because of inflammation in the body or anything really

tiredofthis14
03-10-15, 20:37
they just discharged me they did say it could be caused by anything at first said infection ...tested my blood for infection ... no infection i think my aniexty mind is more not ok the scans clear it could be something else its OH MY GOD THEY MISSING SOMETHING
my aniexty began when i was misdiagnosed a clot on the lung and the wonderful doctor told me and my husband id likely die.... didnt even have one!

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

oh really hollie i was looking for other people on here that had had a positive but couldnt really see anything i must of had about 20 of these tests last yr all negative i think thats what scared me the most i expected it to come back negative

jenni89
03-10-15, 21:31
I went to the hospital in August for strange palpitations and chest tightness and had an elevated d-dimer. Cutoff was 0.49 and mine was slightly elevated at 0.61.

They did a chest ct and a checked my legs for clots but found nothing. Worried, I asked why the heck it would be elevated and dr. specifically said anything can affect it, even stress. I was on my period and asked if that could have any affect and he just said "sure."

They didn't seem too concerned and though I was worried for about a month after, I just dropped it.

Don't worry too much about it. Anything can throw off certain tests :)

tiredofthis14
03-10-15, 21:44
they only checked one of my legs :s mind you i havent really had any symptoms in the other leg might be why they didnt worry . both mine was classed as slightly elevated but to someone with health aniexty it could be one point over and id freak out

jenni89
03-10-15, 21:48
Oh yea, I know how you feel.

I couldn't get the thought out of my head while in the hospital about my d-dimer being high.

I even went on my phone to look up reasons for elevated d-dimer while IN the hospital and scared myself half to death :weep: It really elevated my anxiety for awhile.

Holliee
03-10-15, 22:47
I didn't even have my legs checked or anything! When the chest CT was clear I was just discharged straight away! I'm sure if the possibility was that it could be something serious, they'd have made sure they checked for it!

Booboo111
03-10-15, 23:58
I had an elevated D dimer one year ago in November. My left calf has been hurting but not red or swollen and I pushed for the blood test and it was very slightly elevated, just like Jenni's. Had ultrasounds on legs and arms - my insistence - and they were negative. I obsessed about it and doctors said the same thing Jenni's did - it's a nonspecific test that can be elevated for so many reasons. A week later I ended up in the ER for lower abdominal pain and has a CT scan. I had a burst cyst on my ovary and that's what they said probably caused it. Don't worry! Horrible thing to say to us lot isn't it?!? I hate it when people tell me that but sometimes it's just the truth! lol You will be fine ��

tiredofthis14
04-10-15, 07:15
Thank you for your replies I just wish I could stop worrying ov spent all week trting to figure out what caused it the doc said with a clot theyd expect it to be a lot higher im also got ocos and not had a period for two months which I dont think is helping how high aniexty is I worry so much I have two small kids and it breaks my heart tp think of them not having mummy here im trying to think logically they checked my lungs they checked the more swollen leg out the two it just hard to accept xxx

tiredofthis14
05-10-15, 09:46
cant relax at all so scared they missed something my other leg started hurting too now!