PDA

View Full Version : Prescribed Trazodone, very unsure

ricardo
04-10-15, 10:49
My new doctor is great,always has time for me, fits me in between appointments and gives me sometimes 20 minutes to discuss all my problems, as he actually understands anxiety a lot more than any other doctor in The Practice.

My anxiety has gone through the roof this year since my heart attack in January and the loss of many of my top teeth through negligence by a dentist (proved) together with the ongoing health of my daughter.

I can't take SSRI'S, have never agreed with me, and now with all the tablets I have to take since my HA, the only thing I take is Xanax which is beginning to lose it's effect, and Lyrica for pain and vesicare to stop me rushing to the loo every ten to fifteen minutes.(Again I have had all the tests for that region, and everything is normal,despite me being in my sixties)

The instructions onside the box says quite clearly that trazodone shouldn't be taken if one has had a heart attack or heart disease and it can also cause urinary retention, as can Vesicare.

He looked every thing up in his doctor's inter actions of drugs book knowing all the drugs I take before issueing the script, but quite honestly I am scared to take these tablets.

The 11 tablets I take daily for my heart have already mucked up my digestive system, and I know from previous experience that doctors don't like to be questioned about drugs they prescribe.

So what do I do ?

First and foremost my doctor sees that he has got to get my anxiety down and has now prescribed Trazodone in 150mg tablet form, but to take half a tablet at night,

MyNameIsTerry
04-10-15, 11:10
Ricardo,

http://www.drugs.com/pro/trazodone.html

Use in Patients with Heart Disease

Trazodone hydrochloride is not recommended for use during the initial recovery phase of myocardial infarction.

Caution should be used when administering Trazodone hydrochloride tablets to patients with cardiac disease and such patients should be closely monitored, since antidepressant drugs (including Trazodone hydrochloride) may cause cardiac arrhythmias.

QT prolongation has been reported with Trazodone therapy [see Warnings and Precautions (5.4)]. Clinical studies in patients with preexisting cardiac disease indicate that Trazodone hydrochloride may be arrhythmogenic in some patients in that population. Arrhythmias identified include isolated PVCs, ventricular couplets, tachycardia with syncope, and torsade de pointes. Postmarketing events have been reported at doses of 100 mg or less with the immediate-release form of Trazodone.

Concomitant administration of drugs that prolong the QT interval or that are inhibitors of CYP3A4 may increase the risk of cardiac arrhythmia.

I can't say I know anything about heart issues but from what is says in the pro section on Drugs.com, does that possibly help? It seems to suggest it could be ok once outside the intial recovery phase but that close monitoring is required. So, perhaps your doctor is happy with your recovery and that by keeping an eye on you, he has the bases covered?

Does it say that you can't take them in the leaflet with them from the manufacturer? It doesn't list these issues against the drug on Drugs.com as the fact you can't but it does state the doctor should be informed.

Sometimes these warnings on labels are not the full picture. I know on some I've had they say not to be taken with alcohol but when you look into the detaiiled information thats not strictly true and my GP has allowed it in the past anyway.

You could ask him and spin it as you were happy with what he said but then noticed this on the box and were worried so want to check just in case. Otherwise, you could ask a pharmacist as they tend to know more about drug interactions although it would be best not to take any chances with your concerns and other meds in play.

Crystalhiggs
09-10-15, 17:50
Did you start taking Trazodone Ricardo? How are you getting on if so?

ricardo
09-10-15, 18:16
Did you start taking Trazodone Ricardo? How are you getting on if so?

My doctor has been away this week and as of now I haven't started the Trazodone as I have had a very traumatic week with regards to my teeth,bite and implants which needs careful consideration.I had been waiting for this appointment for 5 weeks.
Doctors don't like being questioned as I stated initially, but the whole point was to reduce my 24/7 anxiety and from what I have read on here Trazodone appears first and foremost to help sleep. I will discuss it with him on Monday.

pulisa
09-10-15, 20:21
Ricardo, I think you should discuss the trazodone issue with your cardiologist. I doubt whether your GP would have the knowledge regarding potential risks following a heart attack.

I was prescribed trazodone after my second hospitalisation. I can't say it helped with the agitation but it knocked me out at night.

It's a hard decision and one that you know you have to be sure about before you take the first tablet.

Giraffe11
15-11-15, 14:58
After not wanting to take Trazodone, I can honestly say it saved me. Worked wonders for me and my darkest, lowest point.

I'm now tapering off as I'm TTC with my partner & am having a few blips. Nothing horrendous though.

I had a decrease in my constant elevated anxiety after the first dose & a wonderful night's sleep.

ricardo
15-11-15, 18:11
I had forgotten about this thread I started with so much going on and thank you Giraffe11 for posting on here today.

I e mailed my cardiologist who replied in typical doctors fashion. he said I could take it if I really needed it but in his opinion it would be better not to,at least for the time being, with all the other drugs I take.

I am trying to stay up a bit longer so that I can at least get 5 or 6 hours sleep without taking it. Currently I take 14 pills a day lol.

bernie1977
15-11-15, 20:32
Next time you see your GP Ricardo ask about phenergen, it's an anti histamine that can be used for insomnia. I don't know if it would be suitable because of all the other meds you take but it's worth asking as it does work.