PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy sickness. Worried about my own health.

Em.ma
05-10-15, 20:24
I am 16 weeks 2 days pregnant and suffering with sickness.
I have constant nausea and I am still vomiting at least twice a day despite trying two types of anti sickness drug.
Last time I saw my gp they tested my urine and I wasn't dehydrated but I'm so worried I'll end up on a drip and with organ failure, I've not lost any weight but some days I struggle to keep water down and repeatedly vomit.
It's really taking a toll and I have a constant headache and I've no idea when to seek more help or what signs to look out for.

dally
05-10-15, 20:52
Congratulations Emma.

I started vomiting BEFORE I had a positive pregnancy test. I just knew I was pregnant. And literally vomited right up to giving birth. Pregnancy hormones and me just didn't go!

I tried. Sea sickness acupuncture bands, homeopathic drops, ginger tea, biscuits and ginger sweets, dry toast/tea biscuits before getting out of bed.
None of the above helped me.

I was prescribed (30 years ago) piriton which is a sedating antihistamine. And that did work.
It also made me sleep constantly. But I'm sure there must be some other meds available nowadays.

I can remember thinking that each and every day was never ending.
But as soon as your baby is born, you forget all about the sickness.

A good indication of dehydration is the colour if your urine.
It should be a very light amber colour.

Try taking tiny sips very frequently. Or sucking an ice cube.
Perhaps make ice cubes out of fresh orange juice and water.
That will be refreshing.

The biggest help with the nausea is to keep your blood sugar level.
So do try to eat little and OFTEN.

BLAND, carb foods. Like bananas and digestives.

As I said, I vomited right up till I gave birth and I had two babies that were 8lb 8oz each.
I could not believe it.

So the baby will take nutrients it needs.

Em.ma
06-10-15, 15:39
Thank you.
I have been given two anti sickness drugs, phenergan and metoclopramide which I am now now. The phenergan worked for a while and then stopped working but the met is ne'er useless for me. Today i am running to the toilets at work again.
Also I've had this pain in my right thigh for weeks now. Everytime I move it's incredibly painful especially after sitting still for a long time and then eases up. I'm now convinced it's a blood clot forming as I can't drink much, seeing doctor and midwife Thursday will mention it then but very scared.

Em.ma
06-10-15, 19:51
Anyone please?

Lilac58
06-10-15, 20:08
Hi Emma,

so glad things are going well apart from the sickness.

If your midwives/doctors thought you were getting dehydrated you would have iv fluids and this is very common and sorts it out.

Horrible for you of course. Any chance of a little time off work?

Don't wait and make yourself anxious, sure someone will always speak to you on the phone if you are concerned. The growing uterus is bound to press on areas and aches and pains are part of pregnancy but get reassurance when you need it.

Em.ma
06-10-15, 20:15
Hi. Thank you.
I guess the only good thing about the sickness is the reassurance that everything is probably still ok haha.its horrible though. Like having a stomach bug for weeks on end. Bleurgh. We can just about afford me to be off work but it'll be a month at the most we can afford.
I see my midwife on Thursday and they test my urine for issues each time so I guess I'll know if I'm dehydrated then. I've managed about 750ml staying down today and about 1.5 litres yesterday so not to bad really. Just hope I don't vomit again. Couldn't manage my dinner tonight.
Seeing doctor Thursday to. I doubt they'll sign me off but running to the toilets and vomiting on the way home from work and sitting their exhausted and sick everyday is taking its toll. I come home, sleep, go online, sleep and then same again next day. I feel exhausted.
Hope your ok x

Em.ma
07-10-15, 18:32
Decided this morning i am going to doctors tomorrow for definite. Dry skin on face today and very concerned I am dehydrated. Managed about 700ml fluid yesterday and 500ml of that was Dr pepper so not great but better than nothing I suppose.
I'm really scared dehydration will affect baby?

---------- Post added at 18:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

? Anyone