PDA

View Full Version : Fear of going to the bathroom

hopeful927
05-10-15, 21:10
Hi there. Does anyone have a fear of bowel movements? This sounds so crazy, but because of having fissures, I am always afraid of seeing blood in my stool. I examine everything every time I go, and am starting to get to the point where I am stressed when I have to go. Sometimes I trick myself and flush before I have a good look (I know, way too much information). Is there any cure for this? I didn't see blood for quite a while, but this morning there was a speck on the toilet paper and now my anxiety is starting to get out of control. Any help I could get with this would be appreciated.

JaeBee
06-10-15, 08:24
Hi, I understand completely how you are feeling. I experienced bleeding and some changes in bowel habits and referred for a colonoscopy. Whilst waiting to have the colonoscopy I hated going to the bathroom, like you I had to check for blood, worried if it was too loose, worried if it wasn't, worried if I went, worried if I didn't, the weeks leading up to the colonoscopy I would count how many more BM I would have prior to the procedure. This was all out a fear of bowel cancer.

Happy to say that 3 weeks post colonoscopy and I no longer have the fear and I don't even think about it any more!

It was a nightmare and all part of my Health Anxiety which I am having CBT for which I am finding really helpful.....

GingerFish
06-10-15, 10:05
I have a fear of going to the toilet too. I'm ok doing a pee but I worry when I do a poo because of how often I have felt like I am going to pass out while doing a poo, especially diarrhea and I have took some of my worst panic attacks while sitting on the toilet. Plus I have a phobia of puking and that can come along with diarrhea so that makes me panic about going to the toilet even more.