PDA

View Full Version : so tired

sammie
13-02-07, 16:23
hi everyone

i am so tired i know i am depressed at the moment but its like a black cloud is following me around. i have lived with panic/anxiety for 16 yrs with no depression but recent events ( bereavements and illnes) have really hit me hard. i am trying to come to terms with my nephews sudden death at 21 ys and my dads illness(altzeimers) added to this is the fact i have not slept properly for over 6 months despite having counselling and sleeping pills. the worst of it is i am in my 2nd year of a psychology degree and i am struggling to muster anf enthusiasm for this course (my marks are showing this)

any ideas on how to get motivated again depression is ugly and not me at all i want the old me back
sammie

sandie
13-02-07, 16:41
Hello Sammie

What a terrible burden you are carrying. After 16 years living with anxiety and panic, it was incredibly brave of you to begin your degree programme. Given recent events it's no wonder you feel as though a big black cloud is following you.

I suffer severe sleep problems so I know how difficult it is to cope with everyday life when you feel so shattered; to be coping with your current problems as well must be exhausting. Thank goodness you have your counsellor - with whom I hope you are sharing your feelings.

The fact that you struggle to muster any enthusiasm for your degree programme and that this is affecting you marks is hardly surprising. Have you spoken to your tutors and lecturers? Given this is a Psychology degree I would hope they would show some real understanding, and perhaps being able to help in a more positive way.

No doubt you are seeing your GP regularly as you are on some meds; have you spoken to him about anti-deps.?

Motivation is not easy when you are depressed (it's one of the curses at the root of the illness), but having come so far in your degree and having battled for 16 years with panic and anxiety, given the correct support and help I'm sure you will return to your old self.

Take care

Sandie

domino
13-02-07, 16:55
Hi sammie, sorry to hear that you are feeling this way, i can onlyecho what sandi has just posted. i to feel rather down at the moment, my mum in law passed away 4 weeks ago now, and i am struggling abit, can,t sleep [that 2a.m. wake up call again] so sorry to hear about your nephew,it is,nt easy i know , just wanted you to know that i,m thinking of you and that things will improve for you. advice,umm, well i find getting out ,perhapes a walk, things to pass the day, keeping busy, good luck with your psychology degree, my daughter is also taking this degree at derby uni. CHIN UP.

sammie
14-02-07, 10:27
hi everyone
thanks for the replies :D

i have just been to see my doctor who has put my seroxat up to 30mg from 20mg

she was reluctant to give me sleeping pills as they didn't work last time i got them.

i think i am in a setback so i am reminding myself how far i have come from the days of pure panic and agorophobia which i overcame all by myself with no help other than books by claire weeks
i think the not sleeping properly has developed into a habit one that is hard to break .

so positive thoughts for me just wish i could get rid of the blasted extopics[?]
sammie

bearcrazy
18-02-07, 01:22
well done Sammie. Its hard to be positive when you are tired.
My daughter is at uni and she has ME which makes her very tired. There is no point struggling to work when you are exhausted, better to rest up and tackle things later. Have you mentioned your problem to student services. they are there to help!