PDA

View Full Version : Chron's, IBD, UC, what's the difference please?

CeeCeeCee
06-10-15, 14:06
Can anyone tell me the difference if there is on, between IBD and Chron's or Ulcerative Colitis? Or are they both just a type of IBD?

nomorepanic
06-10-15, 14:31
Try this:

http://www.healthline.com/health/crohns-disease/crohns-ibd-uc-difference#Overview1

CeeCeeCee
06-10-15, 16:02
That looks really interesting, thanks. I'll read it full when I have more access on my laptop and not just my phone, thank you!

nomorepanic
06-10-15, 16:41
I get confused by it all as I have Crohn's which is in remission so now I just have Colitis

CeeCeeCee
06-10-15, 17:48
I'm not sure what I have yet as need more tests but doc thinks some kind of inflammatory disease. I knew it was more than my IBS as feels different but wasn't sure if invests just changing symptoms. Are your symptoms varying when you have it?

LuSmith
11-10-15, 15:23
IBD is the umbrella term for UC and Crohns Disease. Ulcerative Colitis is usually confined to the large bowel, whereas Crohns can affect other parts of the body.

The symptoms of UC can vary and there are five different types that affect different areas of the bowel.

acute severe UC (a rare form that causes eating difficulties)
left-sided colitis (affects descending colon and rectum)
pancolitis (affects the whole colon and causes persistent bloody diarrhea)
proctosigmoiditis (affects lower colon and rectum)
ulcerative proctitis (mildest form that affects the rectum only)

You'll probably find you can be in remission far longer with UC, but both conditions can still get complications if not treated.

Hope that helps a little! My brother has Ulcerative Colitis (pancolitis) and gets it quite severely, and I used to know someone who had Crohns Disease fairly bad. Hopefully things get better for you and the tests help you reach some kind of conclusion!