PDA

View Full Version : 20 palpitations a minute and miserable

bex2312
06-10-15, 18:05
Last 4 months I've had palpitations. The ones that feel like you've missed a beat. Sitting here now having 20 per minute. Ive had a monitor which showed "palps in top and bottom of heart" whatever that means. Scan showed my heart was structurally ok. So I've been referred back to GP. But they won't go. I'm finding it do hard to cope. I can't function. This sounds stupid over palpitations. But they are just so constant :(

lisa1975
06-10-15, 20:50
aww hun their not nice i get a lot of them but mine are down to a health problem with my thyroid so i no how scarey they are have you tried magnesium that helps calm some peoples down x:hugs:

Lifelonganxiety!
06-10-15, 22:54
Try eating bananas, magnesium pills, cut out coffee, drink more water or get some Gatorade (or UK equivalent or electrolyte drink). Most likely it's just an imbalance in potassium or magnesium so all of these should help! I had palpitations for a long time and the above helped.

Good to see you'll be getting back to the Dr to review. The fact they referred you back to a GP should tell you it's nothing urgent. It might just be something you have to put up with for a little while longer.

TunaFish
10-10-15, 16:46
I had 6000-10000 ..... A day.

All gone now.

Try not to worry, it will Pass :)

Angeva77
17-10-15, 23:29
A few months ago while I was sound asleep, an adrenal feeling rushed throughout my body and obviously jolted me awake. My heart was beating so fast and I ended up in the ER with a heart rate of 140+ a minute. Had an ecg which was normal. The gave me an adavan and sent me in my way. Last Monday, I started to get heart palpitations that would come about every minute or so consistently. Some stronger and some just enough to feel. They are so strong sometimes that my eyes would quiver and I'd get blurred vision. I was told its anxiety and that I have nothing to worry about? Here we are 6 days later and they haven't let up. Has anyone out there ever had them for this long? How long can they last? Ugh... So annoyed and scared at the same time. I've thought about "upping" my anti anxiety meds but I honestly don't think I need it. Can having heart palps this long cause blood clots?

Leah1971
18-10-15, 00:54
Hi Angeva77, palpitations are horrible. When I first started with this lot of anxiety at the beginning of the year, that's what kicked off my anxiety. I was having them constantly for days. I started on lexapro and it actually took months for it to completely settle down. It's hard to not pay attention to them when they're happening like that, but you have to do your best. I going the more attention I paid them, the more anxious I got and more heart palps I got. They finally settled down but it did take months. No doctor has ever mentioned to me that having them for a period of time could cause anything like blood clots. Hope you feel better soon.

Angeva77
18-10-15, 13:36
Thanks Leah for the reply. I've been reading much of the posts here about palpitations and can honestly say that I feel less distressed about my palps. Not that I didn't completely believe my gp, I honestly thought I was alone. I didn't realize how common and severe palpitations really were. At this point and juncture, I feel much better and went to bed last night knowing that i wasn't going to die in my sleep. Lol. As silly as that sounds.

AndyMichael22
20-10-15, 12:26
I had 6000-10000 ..... A day.

All gone now.

Try not to worry, it will Pass :)

This! It sounds crazy to have so many but it happened with me also, but I only managed to reached that level for one day, they were still about half that though for a long while.

As Tuna fish says they will pass! No doubt what-so-ever. Just distract yourself and do not dwell on thoughts about it, do this more and more and every time your mind starts to worry or trail off stop it and keep distracting yourself. It will fade. :)

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Hi Angeva77, palpitations are horrible. When I first started with this lot of anxiety at the beginning of the year, that's what kicked off my anxiety. I was having them constantly for days. I started on lexapro and it actually took months for it to completely settle down. It's hard to not pay attention to them when they're happening like that, but you have to do your best. I going the more attention I paid them, the more anxious I got and more heart palps I got. They finally settled down but it did take months. No doctor has ever mentioned to me that having them for a period of time could cause anything like blood clots. Hope you feel better soon.

Exactly this. This advise should go for everyone I think who has this problem!

- Try hard to realise they will go away eventually, because they will!
- They are harmless and you are not in any way at risk (Many top, extremely healthy athletes can experience bouts of these)
- Say no and distract yourself everytime from any thoughts or your mind dwelling on it.
- Once fading keep repeating this and also try to be as content and comfortable as possible knowing if they do come back again, as they might, they will again go away. Then eventually after a long while they will be almost non-existent.