PDA

View Full Version : counselling(feel horrid)

yorkylover
13-02-07, 17:21
Went to my counselling session yesterday about my 4th one now,we started to go back into my past and my childhood.I was talking about things which I hated dragging back up.when I came out I was drained.Today I felt pretty low in myself,felt quit awful.Is this quite normal to feel like this.:(

Ellen XX

wendy
13-02-07, 17:36
Hi Ellen

It takes a strong person to confront the past, especially if its painful so well done!

I felt exactly the same following my first sessions, I think once something has been "buried" within us for so long it is bound to feel uncomfortable intially as we are bringing our thoughts / feeling / fears to the surface, Please stick with it though as you will soon feel a huge relief from sharing this with someone and you will feel like a huge weight has been lifted off your shoulders,

Good luck to you,

Wendy x

nomorepanic
13-02-07, 18:23
Ellen

I hated it when the therapy went down that route and found it hard work and very stressful and cried a lot.

So it is normal but I know it is not nice.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

matilda
13-02-07, 18:38
I actually found it very stressful when my therapist kept going back to my childhood and the death of my Mother, I actually stopped going then. I am not suggesting u do that but i didnt like coming out of therapy feeling worst than when i went in!!!

Coni
13-02-07, 23:01
Hi,

I'm seeing a clinical psychologist and so far it has all been about painful events from my past, going over and over them in detail and how they make me feel. I feel worse now than I did say a few months ago but my psychologist says this is normal and that eventually the painful feelings will lessen and I will start to feel better. Heres hoping!

Good luck Ellen

Coni X

kazzie
13-02-07, 23:43
Hi Ellen

I cant comment cos never had it but sending you a big(((((hug))))) anyhow

Luv Kaz x x x x x x x

ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE!!!!!!

carldourish
14-02-07, 12:10
Hi Ellen,

reading these comments makes my blood boil. It really makes me angry why counsellors and psychologist think its a great idea to go back to previous events. Especially one's from our childhood.

Listen why would someone wish to track back to negative experiences and try and find some weird reason you our the person you our today. The best thing about the past is that it's already happened, and the best thng to do is leave it there. I truely believe that its the future you should focus your concentration upon. Think of goals and wishes you wish to acheive. Then go get them

Carl

Pod
14-02-07, 21:59
Hi Ellen

Sorry you’re suffering. I used to feel this way after counselling. So did one of my friends & its horrible, especially if you don’t have a good support network of people who can help you deal with the after effects of the sessions. I guess the type of counselling that involves going back into your past can be upsetting in the short term but can help you in the long term if there is something in your past which is affecting you or causing you problems in your present or is preventing you from moving forward in your life. The trouble with this kind of therapy for people suffering with anxiety/depression is that it can also dredge up a lot of negative past experiences which can make any current depression worse. I had two years of psychotherapy for anxiety which actually led to me becoming depressed! so it doesn’t always work for everyone.

kate
14-02-07, 22:27
I can sympathise with you. When I did CBT all she seemed to do was blame everything on my childhood.

The counsellor I see now deals much more in the here and now and we have hardly ever touched on my childhood. Maybe a different type of therapy would be more helpful to you?

Kate x

"Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same"

yorkylover
14-02-07, 22:33
Thank you everyone for replying.:)

Ellen XX

clickaway
14-02-07, 23:15
When I come out of my therapy sessions I find I have more energy and confidence, even if it's only for a few hours. I seem to vent all my stuff in the session and so am able to do things like shopping immediately afterwards before my mind is filled up with negative vibes again.

It's been a while since I felt drained after a session, but yes it does happen. I find that my pain comes from being alone and not being able to do enough to distract. I seem to be surrounded by anxiety which brings me down.

I have belief I will get through this however hard it is.

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers