PDA

View Full Version : Stopping smoking advice

Traceypo
07-10-15, 16:55
Hi all,
I've suffered from Ha for 7 years, had good years and bad, general focus has been heart, though I've had many other self diagnosed serious illnesses.
Given the above, I stupidly still smoke as I've tricked myself into believing it relieves my anxiety.
I really want to stop, not only for health but financial reasons too.
I smoke 20 light cigarettes a day.
Any advice from you all would be welcome, especially tips that have helped you quit.
I don't want to use ecigs as I'm more afraid of them than cigarettes.
Patches make my heart race and fuel my anxiety.
Xxx

Lifelonganxiety!
07-10-15, 19:48
A book called "Allen Carr's Easy Way" was really helpful to me. You can get a mini version of it as well. Stopping smoking is very hard, so if you have a relapse, don't give up on giving up, keep trying and it will stick!

Traceypo
07-10-15, 19:58
Thanks hun, really want to do it, I'll get the book tomorrow. Xxx

sial72
07-10-15, 20:19
Hi Tracey
I smoked 30 a day for 23 years!! I gave up smoking almost 7 years ago.
I used to think I wouldn't be able to ever give it up, I couldn't imagine my life without smoking. It all seems so ridiculous now :)
Anyway, I also read Allen Carr's Easy Way and for a ling time I ate a lot of chewing gum haha.
I found it surprisingly not hard and have never really wanted to smoke again but when people smoke around me it doesn't bother me.
I had tried other times and didn't manage, this time I was sure and I think that is why I didn't find it too bad.
If you really want to do it, you CAN xx

Traceypo
07-10-15, 20:32
Thanks hun, I think smoking aggravates my anxiety, I worry about running out of cigarettes, where can I smoke, when I can smoke etc, hate the control element.
I'm going to Disneyland Paris next April and really want to have quit by then, I feel embarrassed to smoke.
Xxx

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

Ps, have you got shares in booksales, this will be the second I've bought on your recommendation, haha xxx

Natalie2389
07-10-15, 20:40
Hi I too what to quit i believe it fuels my anxiety I've tried nrt and e cigs it doesn't work where can I buy the book ? Thanks x

Traceypo
07-10-15, 20:46
You can get it on amazon hun but I'm going to town tomorrow so hopefully waterstones or whsmith will have it. If you're serious about trying hun pm me and we can try to support each other.
Xxx

Pepperpot
07-10-15, 21:51
The little inhalators you get with the capsules are good if you like the hand to mouth action - they do look like a tampon though hahaha. x

Traceypo
07-10-15, 21:54
I've used that before and lasted a month, stupidly went out for a drink and started again, I had no ill effects of it.
Xxx

JaeBee
08-10-15, 08:23
Hi Tracey, I am 18 weeks smokefree and smoked for 14 years. My motivation to quit was my fear of getting lung or throat/oral cancer so I can thank my HA for giving up. I went to the doctor one Saturday after finding a lump in my mouth, I had convinced myself it was cancer, it wasn't, so I decided to have my last one on the way home and have not even had a puff since. I honestly think because my HA was so so out of control at the time that I found it ok?? Since quitting I have noticed that my heart rate has slowed and I am sure it helped with my anxiety. I bought an ecig but only used it once and just sucked mints.

Traceypo
08-10-15, 10:01
Thanks, I also fear those things, I feel ready to quit so going to give it a try. Xxx

ricardo
08-10-15, 10:16
There is nothing worse than a reformed smoker, and that's me.:)

You have to really want to give it up as it is an addiction and apart from nicotine withdrawl which only takes a few days there are lots and lots of other horrible things one inhales including cyanide.

One is also being selfish if you live with others that don't smoke as it has been proved passive smoke is just as bad.

I wouldn't have given up until I was literally shocked into it by my heart attack.

Patches helped me a lot and the NHS provide quite a good service to help people quit.

I knew Alan Carr, not very well, but he had a house quite near me in Southern Spain. he made a fortune with his book but unfortunately still died of lung cancer.

Traceypo
08-10-15, 11:22
Ricardo,
Is that true? I read the first book and it made a lot of sense, but I wasn't ready and gave up at the last cigarette, guess I wasn't ready to let go.
I'm 35, and I know how selfish it is, I don't smoke in the house or car regardless of whether kids are home, but I know the risks. It infuriates me that I spend so much money on killing myself when I spend so much time worrying about dying.
I've been given a month off work due to my surgery, whilst in hospital I didn't smoke, as soon as I came home I resumed the horrible habit.
Xxx

ricardo
08-10-15, 12:15
Ricardo,
Is that true? I read the first book and it made a lot of sense, but I wasn't ready and gave up at the last cigarette, guess I wasn't ready to let go.
I'm 35, and I know how selfish it is, I don't smoke in the house or car regardless of whether kids are home, but I know the risks. It infuriates me that I spend so much money on killing myself when I spend so much time worrying about dying.
I've been given a month off work due to my surgery, whilst in hospital I didn't smoke, as soon as I came home I resumed the horrible habit.
Xxx

Yes it is true.It wasn't meant to frighten anyone.I assure you he was a very nice man and ironically offered to give me his book.

Traceypo
08-10-15, 12:49
Bless him, pleased he got his extra years cause if I remember right his dad died young from lung cancer.
If ever there was a wake up call then I guess that's it!
Bought the 2nd book today, at least his legacy will live on and hopefully give some comfort to his family.

Fishmanpa
08-10-15, 21:25
Like Ricardo, I had no choice in the matter.

All I can say is it truly has to come from a real desire to quit. Don't get to the point where you have no choice.

Positive thoughts

Traceypo
08-10-15, 21:35
Thanks, I seem to manage things better if I feel it's my choice.
I've wrote down all the things I hate about smoking, I've got a month off work and really want it to be a productive month, plus if I'm craving for a cigarette it might take my mind off all my anxiety induced health concerns.
X

Lifelonganxiety!
08-10-15, 21:54
I would also recommend downloading one of the free stop smoking apps for a smart phone (if you have one), like Quit it.

They show you the immediate benefits of stopping, along with your progress towards the longer term health benefits. They can also set reminders and keep you on track!

Traceypo
08-10-15, 21:58
Thanks, I will, need all the support I can get. Daft thing is I stopped for a month, that might not seem long to some but to me it was and it was the happiest I'd been in a long time, stupidly alcohol got the better of me but at least I'm aware of that trigger x

Beckybecks
15-10-15, 08:21
I've been trying to give up smoking for some time now. People say if you want to stop then just STOP! But every time I have an episode of anxiety I reach for a cigarette as though it's a life saver or my medication.
I have convinced myself that smoking calms me down when I'm anxious.

On the other hand I have HA so each time I finish a cigarette I feel guilty and worried about what it's doing to my body.
Ok I know I'm actually causing myself more anxiety.

I've tried eCigs and for me they don't work . Maybe Hypnotism? Anyone else got any tips on how to stop?

Traceypo
15-10-15, 09:08
I'm currently reading the Alan Carr book, albeit very slowly. I agree with all you say, it's a vicious cycle that we're trapped in. Ridiculously, I envy the people who became too scared to continue smoking due to ha.
The longest I've done is one month.
I've come to believe that cigarettes are my friend, Alan Carr does break down those beliefs.
Good luck with your mission, I'll keep you updated on mine.
Xxx

lottie59
15-10-15, 10:16
Hi Traceypo

I have smoked since a teenager so 18 years in total. I have tried many times to give up and its been tough. I stopped for nine months during my pregnancy and started 1 day after birth of my beautiful boy.

I had an abnormal smear result 3 weeks ago which resulted in emergency treatment in the form of LLETZ and the consultant told me that Smoking was the biggest cause of abnormal cells and Cervical Cancer and that I should stop smoking. I have not touched a ciggerette now in two weeks and 2 days. I feel horrendous from quiting, I have the cough, I have mouth ulcers and I can not drink alcohol because if I drink I will want to smoke.. so generally feel crap but my health is more important.

I wish you luck with your journey xx

Traceypo
15-10-15, 10:53
Well done, that's brilliant, I guess we've got to look at the bigger picture. I'm miserable smoking so even if quitting makes me miserable I should be no better or worse.
Xxx

countrygirl
15-10-15, 11:32
My mother was a chain smoker and I absolutely hate cigarettes because of it. Not the person who is smoking i hasten to add just the smell of them etc.

When my mother died ( of cancer) at age 67 she was living in an annexe to our house which was very old and had painted plaster walls inside. These should have been white but the whole apartment was yellow. I vividly remember a lady who helped us refurb it taking down a beautiful deep yellow glass light fitting and taking it to kitchen to wash and she literally let out a screech as when she wiped it it turned clear glass. Then we washed all the walls again and again and again with every product designed to clean painted walls, then we used huge quantities of Jif cream and scouring pads!
Thankfully our son and his girlfriend moved in after we had replaced everything, the only thing we didn't replace was the kitchen and the drawer she had kept her cigs in we had to screw shut because if you opened it the smell was evil.
The first time they had a bath or cooked in the kitchen the walls had tear dropped shaped brown tar running down them:scared15: it was the tar from the cigs that was buried deep in the plaster being leached out by the steam. It took 2 years of doing this before all this tar was out, short of replastering the whole place it was a waiting game.

Imagine what my mothers body must have been like.

Traceypo I hope the above story can help you realise just what damage you are doing to your body and will inspire you to stop xxx

Ps I really am not wanting to scare you but its hard to balance inspiring you and scaring you.

Traceypo
15-10-15, 15:17
Thanks hun, sorry to hear about your mam.
I've got three left, and I'm determined they'll be my last.
Xxx

---------- Post added at 15:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

Update, Allen Carr book finished, smoked my last cigarette at 2:30pm.
Xxx

countrygirl
15-10-15, 17:21
You can do it, remember you will feel crap for a couple of months at least while your body gets rid of all those stored toxins and tar in your lungs. My aunty stopped smoking at age 65 after a lifetime ( when my mother was diagnosed with cancer) and she is now 86 and still smoke free. She said that she had every cough/cold and whatever going for first 6 months but after that it was so worth it as she felt better than she had done for years so don't give up if you start to get a cough etc its your body having a clear out:)

Traceypo
15-10-15, 18:01
Thanks hun, biggest mistake of my life starting to smoke xxx