PDA

View Full Version : Socks Leaving Indentations Around Ankles?

worriednow22
08-10-15, 00:55
Hi,

so I wore some tight socks today and noticed when I took them off they left kinda deep indent/rings above my ankles. I have had this happen before but it seemed deeper/worse this time. There was even an area that was kinda swollen below the marks. It's been about 1.5 hours since I took my socks off and the marks are slowly getting back to normal.

I am a little freaked out because I read online this can be known as "edema" and is related to your heart and kidneys. The thing is, I can remember getting marks like this for my whole life when wearing tight socks. But this time, it was just a bit deeper and created a small bump/swollen area near the ring also. What do you guys think?

Fishmanpa
08-10-15, 01:08
What do you guys think?

Your anxiety is lying to you and causing you to think totally irrationally.

Positive thoughts

worriednow22
08-10-15, 01:33
Your anxiety is lying to you and causing you to think totally irrationally.

Positive thoughts

Thanks but there is a decently deep ring around my ankles from the sock. The mark is still not totally gone.

---------- Post added at 00:33 ---------- Previous post was at 00:28 ----------

I tried the "pitting edema" test and it doesnt seem to make a dent. I press down on my leg for 15 seconds and no dent. Yet the socks made a big dent over the course of say 6 hours.

Fishmanpa
08-10-15, 01:40
Your anxiety will not listen to reason. If indeed you feel you're in trouble, go to the ER. Let us know what they say.

Positive thoughts

Holds1325
08-10-15, 02:04
This happens all the time with my socks i wear for work, professional wear. They are super tight round the ankles and give me indents and hurt, the indents sometimes take a whole day to go away,

I have normal blood pressure, had blood tests. ekg etc. my heart is fine. Its just your anxiety lying to you about socks, tell it to leave you alone.

worriednow22
08-10-15, 03:22
This happens all the time with my socks i wear for work, professional wear. They are super tight round the ankles and give me indents and hurt, the indents sometimes take a whole day to go away,

I have normal blood pressure, had blood tests. ekg etc. my heart is fine. Its just your anxiety lying to you about socks, tell it to leave you alone.

Thanks. Was it an actual ident? Like, it was a round dent all the way around your legs? I am not just talking about some very faint lines, like my skin actually sinks down a little and is dented in like the socks compressed my skin.

Holds1325
08-10-15, 03:27
Yes it was an actual indent, i have other socks that leave impressions but this is an indent, It makes my ankle look sort of deformed as if someone tied a tight rope around it.

Thats basically whats happening with your socks, theyre really tight at the top and this happens, I dont like wearing these socks often as i have other pairs that dont do that

worriednow22
08-10-15, 04:20
Thanks for the reply. I have researched this and it says this is an indication of "edema." How are you sure you don't suffer from the same condition as me? Just curious.

Holds1325
08-10-15, 04:31
have you read the symptoms of edema?

worriednow22
08-10-15, 04:56
Yea. I read that socks making the indentions can mean you have it. There are a lot of sites that say this.

mark84
08-10-15, 08:35
it's most likely that you're wearing tight socks, I've not had any tight socks for awhile but I love feeling how funny and ridgy the skin is after a day wearing them. I don't think it's anything to worry about :)

Sia
08-10-15, 14:34
Don't worry. Was it a tight socks?

KayeS
08-10-15, 14:52
Some people's skin is more susceptible to dents than others. All depends on the thickness of the person's skin etc...

If I wear slightly tight socks, I get VERY deep indentations sometimes that seem to last forever! If I wear boxers with slightly tight elastic around the waist I get indentations there to! Sometimes it's a little surprising when I notice it but it's perfectly normal... :)

daisyflower
08-10-15, 15:16
I get this every day and always have done, thought everyone did. The worst is when I have to go bare leg with a nice pair of shoes after wearing socks all day and you can't get rid of it 😂😂 stop worrying. If you wanna see what really would be considered a problem in young people, think of going into a retirement home and the feet there...sandals and sippers dig in so far by the end of the day that they're shiny and purple and bulging out of the shoe, like if you were to squeeze a sausage.
Seriously, stop worrying

Holds1325
08-10-15, 19:08
My mother who is diabetic has edema sometimes. You will notice it very easily. Once you press your finger into the skin it leaves an indent that slowly comes out. There is noticeable swelling.

I had a full physical done by a doctor and came out fine.

If you cannot be convinced by any of us a doctor would ease your mind possibly. But 99.9% sure its your anxiety.

nagem90
29-01-16, 13:44
I know this post is a few months old, but depending on how tight your socks were it's normal for them to leave an indentation. I have several pairs that do the same to me.

If you had edema you would have noticeable swelling of the foot and ankle. If they look normal, then it isn't edema.

Water retention is a possible culprit, but I'm positive it's normal.

Sparkling_Fairy
29-01-16, 18:08
I thought this was normal?
I've always had my socks leave indents around my ankles. Ever day for my entire life. Really never thought this was strange

Fishmanpa
29-01-16, 18:09
I thought this was normal?
I've always had my socks leave indents around my ankles. Ever day for my entire life. Really never thought this was strange

Exactly!

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
30-01-16, 05:03
It just means your socks are tight. It's only the same as leaning on something for long enough for it to leave temporary indentations.