PDA

View Full Version : When every flicker of pain sends me into a panic... how can I cope?

Njoy704
09-10-15, 07:59
I've heard it again and again... everyone deals with pain. I guess I am just unfortunate enough to not deal with pain very well. Every tiny bit of pain makes me think the worst. A quick sharp pain in the chest sends me into a panic and I wait and wait to see if I'm about to get a heart attack. A short lasting headache in the back of my head and I'm making sure I have the phone near by in case it's an aneurysm. Leg pain means dvt. Pelvic pain means ovarianan cancer and the list goes on.

My anxiety has everyone thinking I'm crazy. I make it a routine every night to have water and snacks out on the bedside table in case I die at night so that my son doesn't starve or thirst until someone gets home and realizes I've died. Ive asked people to make sure they call me in the morning and if I don't answer after 3 attempts to have the neighbor check up on me. I've spent a large amount of money ordering tests and scans for myself. I am not living life! I'very become so obsessed with my aches and pains that I just can't live a life of fun and happiness.

How can I just let the little flicker of pain go? How can I stop obsessing over what that quick bit of pain could mean? It's been a rough 2 years of this obsession. I've had 8 mri 's , ultrasounds, blood tests, endoscopy, colonoscopy and nothing serious has been found. But I still have pain. Daily. How can I just tell myself ... "stop it. Enough is enough. You're ok." Because I start to tell myself... "hmmm... well, my last pelvic ultrasound was 9 months ago... what if I have ovarian cancer now? And they'll see it this time around? I've been peeing a lot more at night and have pelvic cramps. Must be ovarian cancer." Or my constant leg pain for over 2 months now that I've had 2 ultrasounds on and still telling myself they've missed something. Why can't my mind wrap around the fact that I'm ok? What can I do? I don't want to live life always fearing death and before I know it, I've missed living life and I'm on my deathbed at the old age of 89yrs old regretting all these years wasted on nothing.

Traceypo
09-10-15, 08:18
Hi hun, you've spoke about all the medical tests you've had done, but have you had any therapy?
Health anxiety is about fear and catastrophising to the worst case scenario, cbt could help you stop this cycle.
Sometimes tests can feed the anxiety, as you've said, once you're given the all clear you move to something else.
Xxx

Njoy704
09-10-15, 08:21
I've seen "cbt" mentioned on this site before. What does that stand for? I'm pretty new here....

Traceypo
09-10-15, 09:07
Cognitive behaviour therapy, it teaches you to control your thoughts and rationalise them to stop you going to worst case scenario.
It's very effective, it looks at your thoughts, helps you to challenge them and break the negative behaviours.
There's also some good self help books too by Claire weekes to help you understand your behaviour and why you react that way.
Xxx

sial72
09-10-15, 10:39
Claire Weekes explains in her book that when our minds are fatigued by anxiety thoughts get stuck and even if rationally we understand that we shouldn't do this, tired minds obsess. I would recommend you watch an hour long interview of hers on Youtube and if you like what she explains you can get her book on Amazon (don't be put off by her old fashioned look, she is very very knowledgeable) xx