PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have halos/starbursts & sensitivity to light?

Pinkharts9
10-10-15, 14:33
Man, this has been a weird summer! It's a long story, but back in June my regular eye doctor (optometrist) told me I had cataracts. And he said that would account for my sensitivity to light, the starbursts I see around light sources at night, etc. So yesterday, I went to one of the top cataract surgeons in my city because I was convinced my vision (from the cataracts) was getting worse by the day. I was so distraught. And then he tells me that I absolutely, positively do not have cataracts!! And that my eyes look perfectly healthy all around! Well, that's great news! Seriously, I was very relieved because I don't want cataract surgery in my 30's!

However...

It does not explain why the first doctor was adamant that I do have them. How could he mistakenly see them if they're not there? :shrug:

And that leaves me stuck trying to figure out why I'm so sensitive to light lately & why I see halos & starbursts around headlights, street lights, stop lights & even lights in grocery stores, my home, etc. It's scary because my eyes didn't used to be this way.

Could it be anxiety? Does anyone else have issues with lights with no clear medical explanation?

My biggest worry is losing my ability to drive at night. I'm young, I don't want to give up that freedom! :scared15:

Thanks so much!

ker92ri
13-10-15, 22:30
Hello that must have been scary for you. But I would trust your doctor, I'm not saying your optometrist is incompetent but he isn't a doctor. If he's certain you don't have cataracts then go with that. Do you have any astigmatism? I have been having a lot of trouble with light sources for a couple of months, starbursts but also ghosting images above the light source. I'm also starting to get it a bit in the day time too. No cause can be found and the doctors are assuming my astigmatism is causing it. I've never had problems before a couple of months ago though. I also worry about driving at night and I'm in my early 20s :(

Kerri