PDA

View Full Version : Can't be this

Cags48
10-10-15, 18:51
I started about 3wks ago with pain in my neck and arm really bad pain I went to the docs he said was trapped nerve how he knows that I don't know he never even did anything , I went back a week later the pain was worse it was more in shoulder blade and really bad arm pain , now I'm getting armpit pain too I can't cope with the pain I've taken tramadol , codeine , diazepam nothing helps I'm beginning to think it's a blood clot or cancer in worrying my self sick, I'm going to go back the docs this week I can't carry on like this anyone had trapped nerve or similar any opinions please?

mark84
10-10-15, 19:24
Well to me 3 weeks does seem a long time for the pain to still be there, but it's possible it's a torn muscle or something. I'd go back and ask again, tell your doctor you have health anxiety issues. I don't think there's any reason at all to think it's a blood clot or cancer though in all honesty, but your doctor might be able to help you control the pain in the nerve or damaged muscle or whatever's causing the problem.

Traceypo
10-10-15, 19:24
I had a trapped nerve in my neck but mine caused tingling and pins and needles down my arm, apparently the nerves that control the arm are in the neck. Strangely, the pins and needles never went to my thumb.
It eased off after some physio.
Xxx

Cags48
11-10-15, 14:58
Ive made another GPs appointment for Tuesday I'm going to ask for an X-ray and some decent pain relief cannot go on like this

Elen
11-10-15, 15:38
An X ray will not show muscular damage. A physio however is a great idea. I would be asking your GP for a referral.

Trapped nerves or muscular problems can take months to heal properly, meanwhile hot and cold compresses could help.

countrygirl
11-10-15, 19:16
Its sensible to go back and ask for some tests to maybe find the cause of this pain and neck/ shoulder/chest x ray would be hopefully what they do just to rule out some causes.

I have severe neck damage and I get severe pain in my neck/shoulder and down my arm at times. So its perfectly possible that you have damaged a disc in your neck and this is causing your pain. If so then I would expect it to improve within 4-6 weeks.

X rays will not show up any soft tissue damage only bone or shadows of other things so if you have say a neck xray that is fine this does not rule out a damaged disc only mri will show that and your Dr would need to refer you to a consultant for this to be done.

Nerve pain from trapped nerve rarely responds to the pain relief you are taking which could explain why you are not being helped if its a trapped nerve, there are other drugs that treat nerve pain.

Tell your Dr just how much pain you are in and how nothing you have tried is helping a all and request x rays if you feel you can do this with your Dr.

Cags48
13-10-15, 16:15
Went back poked and prodded and gave me more painkillers says its trapped nerve asked for X-ray said I didn't need one I don't think it is a trapped nerve

Lifelonganxiety!
13-10-15, 17:58
An X-ray wouldn't show anything in your muscles or nerves. As someone already said you would need an MRI or similar.

Try treatments for trapped nerves such as stretching, warm compresses, anti inflammatories and massage. Give it a go for a week or so and it should give you some relief. I can certainly stand by massage as being a great treatment for pinched nerves and tense muscles!

I think the reason your doctor is so convinced is that they have seen symptoms of trapped nerves and symptoms of other illnesses so often (and of course, years of training) and they are not concerned it's anything serious.

countrygirl
13-10-15, 20:15
An x ray only shows bones so would be of no use if you have trapped a nerve in your neck, only mri would show that and your Dr cannot send you fr on of those only a hospital consultant on the nhs.

If its a trapped nerve and no reason to think your Dr is wrong then it can take 6 weeks to resolve, if you are still in alot of pain after this then your Dr should refer you to hospital consultant and they would order the mri scan to look at the discs in your neck.

Its very hard when you are in pain to not freak and think the worst I know but it does sound like a trapped nerve.

Traceypo
13-10-15, 20:38
Did they offer you physio hun, mine went quite quickly after I knew what exercises to do. Xx