PDA

View Full Version : Just had my least meal before colonoscopy...

KayeS
11-10-15, 08:27
As a way to calm myself about the procedure I thought I'd document my experience here. It's 8:30 am and I just had the last meal I'm allowed before the colonoscopy at 7:30am tomorrow (admittance time). It consisted of two slices of gluten free toast and jam lol. Starting the prep at 5pm today... Can't say I'm looking forward to it!

pulisa
11-10-15, 08:38
I hope that the day goes as quickly as possible for you. Just rest as much as you can today (if that's not a stupid suggestion in view of your anxiety) but no solids and a fairly radical clearout of your system may make you feel quite weak. This is absolutely normal of course.

You'll be squeaky clean internally tomorrow after the procedure and hopefully you'll have been reassured as to your fears. Nothing can hide from a colonoscopy so if and when you get the all clear it really means that..

KayeS
11-10-15, 11:56
Thank you, I appreciate that :)

Did you feel very dehydrated when you did it?

Autumn4
11-10-15, 12:57
Just to reassure you about the procedure itself - I am a big baby when it comes to hospital tests etc but I can honestly say that it is simple & not at all scary. I have had it done twice so just relax & enjoy the light clean feeling ! Oh & when it comes to the prep just treat it as an excuse to watch tv or read in between trips to the bathroom. I watched movies & relaxed without feeling guilty about doing nothing. :yesyes:

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

You don't need to feel dehydrated as you can drink water & I had some lukozade or lemonade for a bit of energy. I also had a chicken oxo cube in hot water.

KayeS
11-10-15, 13:38
I started reading the documentation they sent me again, and the associated risks have made me anxious :(

They don't seem to be as rare as you'd think they'd be. I wish they'd leave this stuff out lol.

pulisa
11-10-15, 14:02
They have to tell you everything but the chances of it happening to you are minuscule. I know that this will not stop you from worrying though so roll on tomorrow. You know that you need to go through with this for peace of mind and reassurance and your system will have a complete deep cleanse!

KayeS
11-10-15, 17:18
I know... When I had an endoscopy at least I could just focus on the actual procedure and not this day of emptying lol

---------- Post added at 17:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

Well guys, I'm starting my first glassful... wish me luck.

It says to drink the first litre over 1-2 hours, taking my time. How long does it take to suddenly kick in??

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

Another note... it says to drink a 250ml glass every 15-30 minutes... I kind of want to drink it faster than that... but I'll stick to one glass eery 15 mins. Tastes... funky... lol.

pulisa
11-10-15, 17:25
It took an hour for the first "movement" and from then on pretty constant. Mind you, I had only a 3 hour prep stage so it was not a gentle introduction....:D

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

I also had to have an anti-sickness injection at the same time so I think my prep was far more radical than yours is going to be..

KayeS
11-10-15, 17:31
Jeez lol. I feel a little better about my one now haha

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

Just had a wee... nothing to report LOL

---------- Post added at 17:31 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

We have gurgling...

pulisa
11-10-15, 17:41
Things are on the move........Good luck! Don't stray too far from the loo!

KayeS
11-10-15, 18:17
Finished half of the prep now... sorry for the constant posts btw, but it feels calming to post the progress here.

Definitely feeling some bowel activity now. Lots of gurgling... I can see myself going very soon...

---------- Post added at 17:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

I must say the taste doesn't get any better with each glass, that's for sure... :/ lol

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:43 ----------

Side note: I've never had a laxative before in my life prior to this... lol

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:47 ----------

Onto my last 200ml of the first litre... Can definitely feel movement happening, still haven't been yet though....

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:10 ----------

Aaaaaand bombs away lol.

Just went... Very very very loose. But nothing awful. Finishing my final glass until 8-9pm now... I'm sure there will be lots more to come

ricardo
11-10-15, 18:21
I am glad this isn't a site with advanced video technology and cameras. :shades:

Only joking.

You will be fine ,and in fact when you get to out patients the nurses are usually really kind and supportive. You are sedated but still awake and you won't feel a thing and by the time you get back home I am sure your anxiety will have eased considerably..

KayeS
11-10-15, 18:22
I am glad this isn't a site with advanced video technology and cameras. :shades:

Only joking.

You will be fine ,and in fact when you get to out patients the nurses are usually really kind and supportive. You are sedated but still awake and you won't feel a thing and by the time you get back home I am sure your anxiety will have eased considerably..

No sedation for me :) lol

pulisa
11-10-15, 18:23
Watch this space....

It's a pretty unpleasant experience but all in a good cause. You'll just keep on going and wonder where the hell all this stuff is coming from but it just keeps on coming...

You need to have a complete clearout in order for the scope to show up everything. Sometimes the colonoscopy cannot be completed as the bowel is not empty so you would have to go through all this prep again.

Autumn4
11-10-15, 18:25
Are you taking Picolax ? I only had to dissolve it in a cup of water.

KayeS
11-10-15, 19:43
Watch this space....

It's a pretty unpleasant experience but all in a good cause. You'll just keep on going and wonder where the hell all this stuff is coming from but it just keeps on coming...

You need to have a complete clearout in order for the scope to show up everything. Sometimes the colonoscopy cannot be completed as the bowel is not empty so you would have to go through all this prep again.

Haha yeah. Haven't been back to the toilet again yet... But can feel movement... lol

---------- Post added at 18:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

Are you taking Picolax ? I only had to dissolve it in a cup of water.

I'm taking Moviprep. You dissolve 2 sachets into a litre of water, and then a few hours later, the same again.

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

Holy crap... (no pun intended). Ok well, yeah, that happened LOL.

Just sat on the toilet for 15 minutes and had 5 separate 'movements'... Not actually that uncomfortable. Just... odd.

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

I think it's stopped.... please say it's stopped.... LOL

pulisa
11-10-15, 19:46
I suspect that this is just the beginning........

KayeS
11-10-15, 20:03
Well I'm gonna have the second litre in 30 mins lol.

It's calmed down a lot now but boy... This is a new experience to say the least

pulisa
11-10-15, 20:20
Glad you are clearing out the cobwebs....:D

KayeS
11-10-15, 23:06
Onto round 2....

I'm really hungry now lol

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

Getting mighty sore now... lol

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

Finally finished drinking the second litre... it's all done... alas I am not lol. Although I must say this second 'round' is not as urgent or frequent as the first... although I have only just finished the second litre over the last hour... so we'll see...

---------- Post added at 22:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

Still going.... Not as frequently but still going...

*crawls back to sofa*

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 22:29 ----------

I think it's stopped.... FINALLYYYY

MyNameIsTerry
12-10-15, 05:34
I think you should have named this thread your "log". :roflmao:

Get and weigh yourself before & after. :D

I take it you've never had a dodgy drunken takeaway before :winks::whistles:

You might need a rubber ring to sit on now mate. :scared15:

Hopefully you won't have to explain to Dyno-Rod why they are coming out.:roflmao:

---------- Post added at 05:34 ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 ----------

Nothing can hide from a colonoscopy

Ah, so thats where Lord Lucan and Robert Maxwell got to. :roflmao:

KayeS
12-10-15, 06:37
Well, just getting ready to head off...

I've only had a few occasions in my life where I've had serious diarrhoea... I have to say that this isn't as bad as that, as with this, you're not actually ill, so that horrible sick feeling doesn't accompany going, and with this it's actually kind of easier to get it all out... lol.

I am extremely sore down there though. I got up at 3am to go a little bit more and for the first time, when wiping, there was some blood :/ I've had this before when I had diarrhoea so I wasn't concerned, it's to be expected from all the going/wiping right??

Anyway guys, wish me luck! Feeling pretty anxious right now if I'm honest... a million different thoughts are going through my mind :/

MyNameIsTerry
12-10-15, 06:47
Yeah, it's the wiping. I've had it before when I've had bugs and with the roids too. It's a sensitive area afterall.

Good luck with it.

One of my old bosses once told a few of us he had one down the throat and one up his rear end so we had a good laugh at images of it being at the same time like with those illusionists who pull a hanky back & forth through their ears. :D

KayeS
12-10-15, 06:49
LOL!! Well I had the one down the throat in March this year so... haha

pulisa
12-10-15, 08:27
I've had the double whammy too! the long and winding ro(a)d springs to mind...

Sudocrem or plain old Vaseline will soothe the soreness.

Good luck! Will you be posting whilst having the procedure?:D MyTube?

KayeS
12-10-15, 09:32
I'm back! Hahaha I was actually thinking of this post while I was having it done lol!

All clear... no signs of anything, and he didn't even feel the need to take any biopsies.

Feeling very 'windy' right now....

But all in all I'm very relieved about it. Still wanna get to the bottom of my bowel pain but very relieved. In fact he said the fact that he's looked at my bowel means that I'm pretty much clear of cancer risks for at least 10 years lol.

He did say that the part where my large bowel joins the small bowel is very tight, and I saw he had a bit of trouble getting the camera into that bit, and had me move around so he could do it, and this is actually the area where I get most of the discomfort...

ricardo
12-10-15, 09:36
Great news

I can now finally have my breakfast.:)

KayeS
12-10-15, 09:39
Great news

I can now finally have my breakfast.:)

LOL!!! Sorry for the detailed posts :/

MyNameIsTerry
12-10-15, 11:30
Still wanna get to the bottom of my bowel pain

:yesyes:

Glad it went well for you. I can remember feeling a bit farty after the sigmoidoscopy. It was lucky I had a good long walk back to work. :winks:

pulisa
12-10-15, 11:41
Oh that's good news! Now don't you dare start worrying about anything else or what that "tight bit" might signify! Think back to how you were a week ago and how relieved you are now...

Treat yourself to something good to eat and don't be surprised if you don't "produce" anything for a few days as your bowel has probably seen enough action for a while!:D

Really pleased for you though

KayeS
12-10-15, 11:43
:yesyes:

Glad it went well for you. I can remember feeling a bit farty after the sigmoidoscopy. It was lucky I had a good long walk back to work. :winks:

Haha yeah I've got the day off thankfully... Feel absolutely shattered now. Although I didn't exactly sleep well last night... kind of wanted to be conscious should I need to run to the toilet lol

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 ----------

Oh that's good news! Now don't you dare start worrying about anything else or what that "tight bit" might signify! Think back to how you were a week ago and how relieved you are now...

Treat yourself to something good to eat and don't be surprised if you don't "produce" anything for a few days as your bowel has probably seen enough action for a while!:D

Really pleased for you though

Thank you :)

I was actually going to ask what the first bowel movements are like after and when they arrive lol.

I'm not worrying now... I'd still like to know what's causing my pain, even if it's just IBS so I could at least take something or alter my diet to avoid flareups in the future, but yes I am very relieved now :)

MyNameIsTerry
12-10-15, 12:00
You probably need to rebalance your body salts like with the runs. Get plenty of water to rehydrate and get some minerals back into your body and rest up.

KayeS
12-10-15, 13:21
You probably need to rebalance your body salts like with the runs. Get plenty of water to rehydrate and get some minerals back into your body and rest up.

Yeah, I've been drinking loads of water. Didn't realise how dehydrated I was!

CeeCeeCee
12-10-15, 13:24
Good luck KayeS! It will be fine, I know it! I had one years ago, was slightly sedated with it though as I preferred that. I didn't have to drink anything, it was a suppository. I'm possibly having another one after latest results so hoping it's the same this time :-/

KayeS
12-10-15, 14:31
Good luck KayeS! It will be fine, I know it! I had one years ago, was slightly sedated with it though as I preferred that. I didn't have to drink anything, it was a suppository. I'm possibly having another one after latest results so hoping it's the same this time :-/

I had it done and it was fine, even with no sedation lol. Everything looked normal :)

Fishmanpa
12-10-15, 15:31
Everything looked normal :)

As I fully expected it would be :) Now, relish the moment knowing your fears were unfounded and then revisit the last months worth of threads about it. Take into consideration how deep you were in an anxiety spiral and now, take action to treat your real illness. Doing so will also help the symptoms you're experiencing from it.

Positive thoughts

KayeS
12-10-15, 16:53
As I fully expected it would be :) Now, relish the moment knowing your fears were unfounded and then revisit the last months worth of threads about it. Take into consideration how deep you were in an anxiety spiral and now, take action to treat your real illness. Doing so will also help the symptoms you're experiencing from it.

Positive thoughts

Absolutely will. I've already started inquiring into different therapy options and will go and see my doctor next week regarding possible medication. I just wanna have the rest of the week away from doctors lol

pulisa
12-10-15, 19:38
Remember that last sentence of yours:D Don't let the sh*t hit the fan without thinking about your wise words?

CeeCeeCee
12-10-15, 21:38

I had it done and it was fine, even with no sedation lol. Everything looked normal :)

Yes, I've read your posts now, well done and that's great news for you. You can just live now and relax a bit :-)

KayeS
12-10-15, 22:09
Remember that last sentence of yours:D Don't let the sh*t hit the fan without thinking about your wise words?

Haha I will do my absolute best!

---------- Post added at 22:09 ---------- Previous post was at 22:08 ----------

Yes, I've read your posts now, well done and that's great news for you. You can just live now and relax a bit :-)

I can't wait to have a worry free sleep tonight lol