PDA

View Full Version : Stress induced physical anxiety?

ankietyjoe
11-10-15, 17:46
Hey dudes.

I've had PA's for several years, but through meditation and mindfulness I can actually combat them pretty well and get on with my life.

Lately however, life has been monumentally stressful. My partner nearly died last year during the birth of our youngest son and I've watched her go through hell with PTSD and depression. I'm also nearing the end of a 6 year legal battle with my freeholder in order to be able to sell my property and move to somewhere bigger (2 kids and 2 adults in a 2 bed flat). This had led me to almost repossession on at least 3 occasions. On top of that I've had some pretty severe bullshit from my family. Ok, so plenty to nurture stress I'm guessing? Oh, and noise issues from not one, but two neighbours. Plus normal day to day work stuff!

Now, the day to day anxiety I can handle as I mentioned. What I've noticed recently though is that I'm waking up at night with MASSIVE physical anxiety, like I've drunk a dozen espressos and been injected with a double dose of adrenaline. I've had night panics before, but nothing on this scale.

These attacks are hard to deal with too as my body has already begun the panic process and I can literally feel myself riddled with adrenaline. It usually takes me a good 10-15 minutes to breath myself down from 140bpm heartrate and the resultant shaking. Sometimes this happens 2-3 times a night. I usually feel like I need to stretch (like you do when you wake up) but when I do it releases another load of adrenaline.

Suffice to say the next day I am a wreck. Tired, wiped out, brain dead and a little depressed. The next day I usually pee every hour too, I have no idea why.

I can sometimes feel these surges during the day, but I can intercept and control them.

I take no meds, never have done.

23tana
11-10-15, 18:12
You have never taken meds. Does that mean that you will not do? It might be best to talk over your symptoms with your doctor.

ankietyjoe
11-10-15, 18:23
You have never taken meds. Does that mean that you will not do? It might be best to talk over your symptoms with your doctor.

The only meds I've ever taken are beta blockers.

I'm not interested in taking anti depressants.

Ditapage
12-10-15, 05:07
I hear you on the night time attacks. I don't know the exact science but they are 100000 times worse. like you, I can control my anxiety during the day before it erupts into crippling panic but if I am awoken by anxiety and have to get out of bed, it's the worst because we are not ready for it like we have a better chance of in the day time. Shaky, short of breath, pacing. I had to start taking Valium on a as-needed basis because we need our sleep. I don't want anti depressants either.

There's also things like camomile or valerian tea that has calming properties when you wake up in a panic and need to relax again in order to go back to sleep. I have not much advice about night time attacks. I kicked them for several months now they're back with a vengeance. The trigger for me is going to sleep with something on my mind because several hours later I wake up thinking of that stressful Thing and I can't breathe and I am shaking and feeling like I am suffocating. and its 1000000 more intense than it is in the daytime so I know what you're talking about.

What are your habits before bed? My psychologist told me that TV, Internet, phone can trick the brain into staying alert and your body won't go into a deep sleep which leaves room
for panic to kick in because rather than go into sleep mode, your brain is still wired and recalling stressful events from the day or in the future and it sets off a panic attack that wakes you because you were only lightly sleeping. And i also found if you go to bed expecting to wake up panicking at some point in the night, it will happen.

ray.olsen
13-10-15, 05:52
Hello

You've had PA before then your recent experiences are so aggravating, you were really bound for panic attacks. What scares me is the fact that you're panic attack occurs at night which may lead to cardiac arrest so I would suggest that whenever you sleep make sure that someone is around to look out for you.

The reason why you're so tired during the day is because of the attacks you have during the night. Panic attacks are really draining. Another suggestion I would give is make sure that you're sufficiently hydrated. In case you sweat during this anxiety episodes its better to fully hydrated.

But what you need to prioritize is to consult a clinician. You need to looked at and diagnosed by a doctor in order to be sure about your condition. Continue your meditation as it works well for you in the past. Also never forget to eat well. People never really realize the importance of proper diet in coping up with anxiety and stress.

I hope you get well soon.

sial72
13-10-15, 06:13
Hello

You've had PA before then your recent experiences are so aggravating, you were really bound for panic attacks. What scares me is the fact that you're panic attack occurs at night which may lead to cardiac arrest so I would suggest that whenever you sleep make sure that someone is around to look out for you..

That statement is
1) not true, why would a panic attack at night leas to cardiac arrest? A panic attack is what it is wether during the day or the night and it certainly does not lead ti cardiac arrest.
2) not helpful.

Do you do any exercise at all? That could help to get rid if the excess adrenaline in your body. And since you already meditate the you could try Claire Weekes books. I have found Valerian root tincture very helpful with my sleep.
Hope you feel better soon x

MyNameIsTerry
13-10-15, 06:23
That statement is
1) not true, why would a panic attack at night leas to cardiac arrest? A panic attack is what it is wether during the day or the night and it certainly does not lead ti cardiac arrest.
2) not helpful.

Couldn't agree more, sial. That could easily scare someone sh*tless. Hopefully the OP doesn't have HA!

PA's are a normal response of the fight or flight response, that simple. I could understand someone with a heart condition or a chronic breathing disorder having more worries that their GP can help them with but beyond that they are nothing to worry about in terms of their ability to cause anything other than panic & anxiety. The body reacts with adrenaline but this lasts a short time because it simply can't sustain the level of release but it does mean a load of residual anxiety until the circulating adrenaline is metabolised to whatever else the body needs.

AndyMichael22
14-10-15, 12:01
Hello
What scares me is the fact that you're panic attack occurs at night which may lead to cardiac arrest so I would suggest that whenever you sleep make sure that someone is around to look out for you.

I know you have good intentions to help this person and its nice you trying to help, but there is no suggestion what-so-ever that he will go into cardiac arrest and saying something like this can be the opposite of helping someone with a panic disorder.

@ankietyjoe I'm in a similar position in terms of having a PD for around 14 years and day to day having very good control of it now, with some exceptions, and like you never have taken meds so I understand the want to control without this.

I've had similar periods of night panics, waking up in such states, but yours sound a lot more intense. All I can do is tell you my way of dealing with it was to simply first realise and accept what was happening, let my body calm down and then I always distracted myself by reading news on my phone for a while until I got sleepy again.

Ridiculously simplistic I know but in my case simply accepting this was a period to go through and not letting it bother me so much helped a lot. Just as in normal day to day panic attacks and anxiety, the more I accepted, dealt with it and realised it's ok, it will pass, the less i was bothered and therefore I got less stress from it, until they eventually passed.

The fact you have had so much outside stress is clearly a big factor here and once that starts to fade I suspect this will also, at the moment just find a way of coping and accepting it will pass eventually. I have had lots of outside stress lately too, which is why I'm having a little problem also, but I 100% know it will fade and go away again, just a matter of time.

As with all these things there is no perfect fix, just finding your best way of dealing with the problem, accepting it may be there for a little while and being ok with that, also understanding it WILL eventually pass and letting it bother you less and less. Then Naturally the less you worry the more it will fade. :yesyes:

I hope maybe a little of that helps, unfortunately I'm not very good at explaining things or giving advise most of the time :D

JessicaAdamson
15-10-15, 08:03
You need to take some medicines for it otherwise it will be unbearable for you to control your anxiety issues. I think you need to take sufficient rest at night. There are sleeping medicines like Ambien which will provide you rest at night. Before this take the advice from your family doctor.