PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and blood pressure.?.

nj
11-10-15, 19:29
Long story short: had my physical on October 1 and my blood pressure was slightly elevated (130/80) but the doctor couldn't be less concerned, as all my other levels were as perfect as it gets. Said, it might have just been up from being in the office and pay it no mind.

This morning, I'm at the pharmacy picking something up and see one of those sit down blood pressure machines and figured I'd give it a check.

The second I sat down I felt my anxiety rising. Forget it when I hit the button. Heavy palpitations and feeling like a full on panic attack hitting. It was 148/90!

So I chalked it up to anxiety and waited a few minutes to calm down and try again. From the second I hit the button again, same panicky feelings. 148/82 now.

Here's the kicker, when I got out of the store and got in the car I was calm as calm could be. I know all about "white coat syndrome" so I don't know if this is even worth bothering the doctor.

Cags48
13-10-15, 16:01
I suffer with hypertension take Losartan and Amlodipine and I can tell 130/80 isn't that bad I wouldn't raise an eyebrow at that and the worse thing you could can do is start checking and double checking if the doctor was worried he would send you for a 24hr monitor BP . Try to calm down your blood pressure will reflect that x

MyNameIsTerry
13-10-15, 22:38
My mum has blood pressure checks with the practice nurse and mentioned the same problem to her. She doesn't have an anxiety disorder and never has had. The nurse said it's quite common in people they see and they make allowances for it affecting the readings.

Lifelonganxiety!
13-10-15, 23:47
Wouldn't worry about it. My blood pressure when I'm in the store is always something like 140/100 but at various different doctor or professionally taken locations it's normal.

The machine might not be calibrated correctly. Trust the figure at your doctor more than a store!