PDA

View Full Version : Broke Galileo Thermometer and freaking out

djsandra
12-10-15, 06:03
Hi guys, I know it's been a while since I last posted. Something happened today that really upset me. I had a Galileo thermometer on my desk, and I managed to knock it over when I was reaching for something. The water spilled all the way behind my desk, onto the windowsill behind my desk, and directly into the carpet against the baseboard. I am terrified because I read online that the "water" inside the thermometers actually contains some kind of flammable substance, like kerosene or ethanol. I knew right away that it wasn't just water as the liquid felt oily on my skin. I tried cleaning it up right away with soapy water and vinegar, but I had to cut out the affected areas of carpet because it had seeped all the way down to the padding underneath. The liquid had some kind of a smell that was a combination of plastic, tea-tree oil, and a hint of kerosene. I opened my window and tried not to breathe it in too much while cleaning, but halfway I broke down crying because I felt somehow that my life would "never be the same again", that everything in my room had been poisoned and violated, and that it was all flammable. I was stupid enough to be barefoot while I was stepping in the carpet, trying to clean it up. I had taken my socks and pants off because the liquid had spilled onto them. I read on the packaging that the thermometer does indeed contain flammable materials, and not to use open flame and extreme heat, etc. I know it seems like a complete overreaction, but my OCD has made it seem like everything is ruined and contaminated, and that I didn't manage the situation properly, and that the lives of others and myself are at risk. I was sobbing while I was in the shower, I haven't felt so scared in a long, long time. I put all of the contaminated carpet and cleaning materials used in black garbage bags, and put those outside, but I am not sure what to do with them. Does anyone have any advice? Anything will be appreciated, thanks so much...

Peterthegreatworrier
12-10-15, 07:19
Hey, Sandra.
Did you look up advice on how to deal with these things? I don't know much about it, but I guess that it should be fine if you wash the things that the liquid got on to (don't take this at face value, I don't know). If you are still worried, I'm sure there would be some service you would be able to contact to see if anything has to be done. In the meantime, just keep those things away from possible sources of combustion (such as lighters or electricity points). How big is the thermometer? How much liquid came out? Are there any instructions about this that came with the thermometer?
Please take your time to respond, and positive thoughts:shades:
Regards, Peterthegreatworrier

23tana
12-10-15, 08:56
Sandra search galileo thermometer in Wikipedia. It explains what all the liquids are. Also search Ethanol hazards, It's commonly called ethyl alcohol, drinking alcohol, or simply alcohol and is the principal type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages, It can cause damage to the eyes and skin but you did the right thing in taking off your clothing and washing everything down.
If you can, take the bag to a waste site and explain to them what is in it.
Hope this helps.

djsandra
12-10-15, 09:34
Thank you both for the replies. I guess I will see if there is some kind of special waste disposal that I should use. Peter, the entire thermometer broke, with all of the liquid spilling. It was about a foot tall. I am still feeling uneasy, but a bit better.