PDA

View Full Version : anxiety and insomnia

clintypops
12-10-15, 17:01
Hi there guys I am all new to this forum and have signed up to get some advise. For the last few years I have been suffering from various degrees of anxiety and have been on a couple different ssri medications for it none of which really seemed to help. My anxiety died down for a while but seems to be back with avengeance however this time it has been coupled with insomnia the latter of which seems to be even worse . It's got to the point where I can stay awake for 2 days straight and even when I do manage to get to sleep I have very active dreams and I wake up very early feeling Un refreshed and unrested. When ever I try to sleep my mind seems to race away with uncontrolled thoughts and feelings and sleep seems impossible. It's taking a toll on my daily life as im unable to go to work cause i cant concentrate and have panic attacks about going in feeling so dreadful and I feel irritable and restless all the time and it makes my anxiety worse and more pronounced. It makes me feel very isolated as I find it very hard to talk to people about and it takes a toll on my relationship as I always seem fed up with my partner and annoyed. I am going to the doctors soon to see what may help me and wanted advise from other members if there were any medications which have helped them sleep better and helped the anxiety. I'm reluctant to try another ssri as the side effects are horrible like depersonalisation and everything seems to surreal and I just don't feel like my self on them. I have tried a lot of the anxiety remedies like exercise and diet but I'm still struggling.

Crystalhiggs
12-10-15, 18:10
Hi Clintypops, so sorry to hear you're having such a tough time. :( Insomnia is horrendous, there are a few people on NMP that are or were suffering including myself.

There are medications out there which some people swear by like Mirtazapine - there is a board specifically for this medication so you could find out more on there.

Personally I would stay away from sleeping pills like Zopiclone as they are addictive and only for very short term use.

I can't take any meds so I've had to battle through but because of this I have learnt (mostly) to accept it and try to let it go. I'm having CBT which I have found very helpful, alongside mindfulness and meditation. It isn't easy at all, but as I said to someone on another thread you will always sleep eventually, it's hellish but you will do it and you will get through it. The natural default is to sleep, anxiety is temporary and will pass.
Sending you peaceful and sleepy vibes. :)