View Full Version : I think I'm going crazy!!

JeffY
14-10-15, 04:11
Hello All,
My name is Jeff, I am from Columbia Mo. I have recently developed health anxiety. In the past six years i have lost both my grandparents, and in the past two years I lost my Mother and Mother in law. I watched my mother in law die of cancer in the hospital, this has really affected me. I really consider myself a very strong person and a rock for others to lean on, but in the past six months my world has seem to be turned upside down! It's really weird because it didn't really all hit me until a year later from the time they passed. Six months ago i started feeling funny, not sick or anything, just didn't feel myself. I was at work one morning and all of a sudden I got dizzy and my heart rate shot up, I thought I was done for, I really thought I was having a heart attack! Well I drove myself to the ER, my blood pressure was 210!! They put an IV in me and drew blood and urine test. I thought for sure they would find something seriously wrong with me! As I waited my blood pressure came down and I finally went pee, and yes my pee was pretty dark, I didn't realize I was that dehydrated. Well the Dr came back, and said everything looked good! the only thing that stood out was high cholesterol, potassium was a bit low, and blood sugar was a bit high. After all this I got concerned about my blood sugar, I thought for sure I had diabetes, my A1C came back normal. Well I started having tingling in my arms and legs, Dr google help me self diagnose myself with MS. I swore up and down I had MS, so made another appointment. The Dr said it's probably because of the low potassium, Come on!! potassium!? So I started eating a banana a day and sure enough the tingling went away. The dr did another blood test, to test muscle enzymes, well the test came back high (I was doing cross fit) so I got on google again and I thought for sure the high reading was because of cancer or a muscle disorder. I had to wait a week to retake the test and another couple days for the results! The stress was almost unbearable! Well I got the results back and they were normal. I then discovered a little bump on my chest, yep it had to be a tumor, and I was going to die soon! So I made another appointment, come to find out it is costochondritis inflammation of the cartilage, can be chronic but not serious! So now I have tenderness in my upper stomach, only when I press on it. I get my self so worked up over these symptoms that i can't concentrate, I'm moody, I cry, and my legs and arms just feel so tired. Today because my arms and legs were weak I convinced myself that I have ALS. I have also convinced myself in the past that I had a brain tumor, pancreatic cancer, feel my heart because I know it's going to stop. So in the past six months I have had to follow

Diabetets
MS
ALS
Brain tumor
Cancer
Heart attack
Breast Cancer

Sorry for the long read and thanks a head of time for the support. I'm going to a therapist tomorrow, I really hope it helps, I'm so ready to get back to feeling normal.
Regards,
Jeff Young

John87
14-10-15, 08:11
Hi Jeffy,

Sorry to hear about the loss you have gone through. It is not nice, I lost my nan a few years back now and it was terrible. I just wanted to drop a note to say you are not alone! I recently have gone through a horrible stage of HA and panic. There is a lot of support and comfort on this site! Please try and stay away from Dr Google though, easier said than done but it really does not help.

The HA and panic kind of helped me to turn my life around really, eat a little healthier, stop smoking (never smoked much anyway), cut back on drinking, walk rather than drive etc.

I too have a list as long as my arm that I have self diagnosed in the past 6 months, every time I have spoken to the Dr or had a blood test it's come back normal. They have taken so much blood in the last few months I really should have donated it instead and done something useful.

Anyway I am not sure if this has been helpful but I just wanted to say you are not alone there are more of us than you think that are going through similar things, it sucks but it's a part of you and it can only make you stronger as a person. Here if you ever need a chat! :)

jenni89
14-10-15, 08:15
I just wanted to say that you are not crazy and you are not alone. You have suffered a lot of loss and that without a doubt can make anxiety/health anxiety spiral out of control. I lost my mother almost a year ago and I know that's the reason I'm where I'm at today with my anxiety.

JeffY
14-10-15, 12:48
Thank you all so much for the support! I am really confident that this therapist will help me get back to "normal" :)

Fishmanpa
14-10-15, 12:55
I'm so ready to get back to feeling normal

That statement let's me know you'll be Ok. Healing starts from the "real" inner desire to get better and actually taking the steps to do so.

Positive thoughts