PDA

View Full Version : anxiety

unsure_about_this
14-10-15, 09:20
Its that time again dental anxiety. I have done better with my health anxiety. It just that I have anxiety everytime I go to the dentist.

I get scared about being judge or scolded by my dentist. even though both the assistant and the dentist tries to come my down and make it easier as possible without it hurting me. I get upset.

I have got a difficult mouth to keep clean, had a few fillings in my life, but I get very embarrassed about how my teeth look. I am sure dentist have seen all conditions of teeth, some people don't go for years. sometimes it is genes.

gregcool
14-10-15, 09:37
Dentists have seen it all..there is always someone worse off then yourself...not many people like dentists most people get anxious to....you will be in good hands and im sure there not going to judge..they do this all day every day and have seen so many different cases...try to relax.you will be fine..good luck

unsure_about_this
14-10-15, 09:48
Many thanks for your reply. Even though I go every three months for appointments. I think the first dentist I had when I was a child scared me a lot. I will try to relax

shelzmike
14-10-15, 14:21
Not to take away from this forum in any way, but I have had the same problems (and thusly have poor dental health at the moment) and a place I visit that has been very helpful, since it deals directly with the topic of dental fear and only that is another site called dental fear central. No need to join over there specifically as I am sure just reading plenty of the posts you will find helpful information. Good luck!

Mike

unsure_about_this
14-10-15, 16:32
Thank you for mentioning the site. I am registered on dental fear central forum and have use it a bit over the last 6 months and it is very useful.

I have had this current dentist about three years and had kept all my appointments with her, but still finding it quite hard to build up trust, she is a good dentist and has a good assistant. I dread to think who I may get if she chooses to retired or sell the pratice to someone else after she bought it from my first dentist who was going to retired.

HaroldMorse
15-10-15, 14:17
It is your anxiety which is not allowing you to trust anyone, your dentist know more about your dental condition.. Follow her instructions, ask everything come in your mind... it will help you feel better.

unsure_about_this
19-10-15, 11:50
I have got worst over the years about seeing the dentist and start to worry two to three weeks before each appointment and panic I don't know how to calm myself down and walk in that I am in charge and not fear the dentist even though mine is nice she still scares the life out of me. I also have teeth anxiety.

When she was away on holiday I had to see someone else who was trying to juggle her own list and my dentist, she really hurt me for my checkup with the cleaning and scaling.

Even though I go every three months for checkups because of my mouth shape.

I do have a fear about losing my teeth at my age. I don't like how my teeth look. I know it important to fix teeth if needed I do try to ask questions like about the numbers she is calling out.

ray.olsen
22-10-15, 18:40
Hello there,

Dental anxiety is pretty common, i even have this friend who is completely paranoid and thinks he has a phobia with dental appointments. Unfortunately it is essential to consult our dentist. If I may ask does your dentist know about your anxiety? Is it possible that they give you general anesthesia so you'll be asleep while they continue with the procedure?

unsure_about_this
22-10-15, 20:04
I been to the dentist on Wednesday everything was fine. My dentist knows I have anxiety and she got told my mum on Monday I was very worried even for a general checkup and cleaning.