PDA

View Full Version : Pancreatic Cancer / Crohns / Colitis / Celiac / IBS, I Just don’t Know Please Help

jimbome1968
14-10-15, 19:06
I’m worried sick I try and convince myself there’s nothing seriously wrong but then I get symptoms which scare me.

This all started about 2 or 3 years ago, I was getting some rather serious upper abdominal pains while eating Burgers or certain kebabs or greasy foods. The pain although bad would soon subside when I stopped eating. I knew to avoid these foods and did quite well avoiding them.
More recently (June 2015) I went to my doctors about the problem who prescribed me prevacid / lanzoprasole thinking it was GERD but send me for an abdominal ultrasound as a precaution. Soon afterwards I started getting some very serious bouts of watery Diarrhoea, even when my stools were firm they could be very pale indeed at times, it almost seem like id get Diarrhoea then gradually my stools would become lighter or darker until my next bout of diarrhoea when they would reset colour again. Accompanied with this I been getting some pains by my left shoulder blade, also been getting some quite dull pains around the bottom of my left rib cage, back / Side and front. Also been getting some spasms / shooting pains between my belly button and lower pelvic area.
In The mean time the extensive blood test have all come back clear, as has the abdominal ultrasound and a chest x-ray I had done in AE one evening, in fact the only thing abnormal is an elevated faecal Calprotectin of 405. I’m showing no signs of diabetes or jaundice. I pass no blood in my stools, yet very often when I go I feel like I haven’t cleared my bowel properly. As a matter of interest I stopped the Prevacid 10 days ago thinking they were to blame, and while I haven’t seen watery diarrhoea since my bowel movement this morning contained a mixture initially of a very pale almost clay coloured dry looking stool followed by very soft dark brown stools.
Finally I’ve noticed a dull swelling like pain just around my stomach area when I’m lying down on my side at night

WiganLad
14-10-15, 20:05
sounds like ibs my stools change colour everytime i go to the toilet and having a feeling of your bowels not clearing is the most common symptom of ibs

jimbome1968
16-10-15, 13:43
Be honest I'm rather hoping it is IBS as some of the other candidates are a lot less pleasant, I'm still have doubts because of the intermittent very pale stools and left hand side pains and raised faecal Calprotectin. Thanks for reply

WiganLad
16-10-15, 16:16
it is ibs you ask anyone with ibs including myself everyone will have plae stools and left sided pains its your bowels cramping up

Beckybecks
16-10-15, 17:27
All sounds very familiar. I've had IBS for years. The worst thing you can do is stress about it. IBS just thrives on anxiety.
The more you concentrate on each little gurgle or twinge in your stomach, or dissect every bowel movement, the worse you will feel.
Try to stick to a healthy diet and do some exercise. And then just ignore it. It won't like that and will disappear !
I speak from many years of miserable experience but a triumphant recovery with hardly any bouts of IBS symptoms for the past two years.

jenni89
16-10-15, 19:45
IBS sounds about right. My mother had pancreatic cancer, she had pale stools, dark urine, yellow skin. Her blood tests were all over the place and this specific cancer is fast moving. My mother passed 4 months after diagnosis. I highly doubt cancer is to blame, as you have had these symptoms for quite awhile and many tests. Ibs can cause all sorts of problems! Try not to worry too much. Well wishes to you!

jimbome1968
16-10-15, 22:58
Id like to thank you all for taking the time to post your comments. I really appreciate it. Thank you jim

jimbome1968
21-10-15, 17:55
I've had a few good days recently , my appetite had picked up, I was relatively pain free as well. Yesterday I pigged out with food , when I woke up this morning i had central upper abdominal pains made worse by lying on my side!!
Got up, went to work and I've had pains all day, left side back (couple inches down from shoulder) , also extreme left flank stitch (level with bottom rib) and front left hand dull stitch from level with belly button to my rib cage . Some brief front right hand pains. Also a pain towards the lower end of breast bone. To round off the day I've had 3 bowel motions all of which were rough formed , the last one had one skinny stool and one normal stool.
I was lacking a reasonable explanation for this ? It seems just as i get used to things being a certain way my body throws me something different to rattle me. I don't know what to make of it? Does ALL this still sound like IBS? (wished it wasn't left handed pain)